Surgeon says revision too complicated!!!!

KNP
on 6/18/09 12:17 pm - De Pere, WI
I'm looking into getting a revision.....I had my scope today and the surgeon advised that my pouch is small....but the opening is VERY big and he said "I bet food just flies right on through"

Then he says that he wouldn't do a revision because it would be too difficult.   He advised that I should "hang tight".

I'm just looking for some other's opinions. 

Do you think I should just accept the fact that there is an issue...but tough it out and hope that I don't regain more weight? 

Or, should I try to find a different surgeon?

Thanks in advance!
Tabitha70
on 6/19/09 2:31 am
NEW SURGEON TIME!

I assume you're talking about a revision from RNY to DS ?    That surgery is difficult and there is a higher risk of leaks associated with it, but there are surgeons out there that have a lot of experience and can help you.
I guess it's better that he said no instead of doing what some surgeons do. There are some that have a record of giving up during the surgery and not finishing the whole revision. A lot of people wake up to find they only got an ERNY instead of a full DS because the surgeon didn't want to mess with the stomach. You will have scar tissue if you've already had surgery but there are surgeons that will work hard to fini**** completely.
Please stop by the DS board, lots of revisions there.
I don't know where you live but I had my revision from Dr. Husted in KY and I highly recommend him, he's wonderful in particular with RNY to DS revisions.
Good luck!

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

JROLFSON
on 6/19/09 6:58 am - St. George, UT
I have to agree with Tabitha....If you want a full revision which would take down the pouch, transect and shorten the common conduit then you want a DS and if you want the best then that would be Dr. Husted....If you are a very difficult patient with tons of scarring Dr. H can still perform the transition he has a couple different methods for even the most difficult RNY'er to DS'er....

So if you have insurance that covers and want the real deal...I would go with Dr. H.....

Janie
happy girl
on 6/20/09 9:03 am
get a second and third opinion. Revisions are a tricky surgery, it could be that it's too complicated for his skill level.

good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

jennamoose
on 6/24/09 2:08 am - Wantage, NJ
Hi. I am not in your exact situation in that I am having a revision from Lab Band to Gastric Bypass. What I wanted you to know is that I was told by my first  doctor that there is nothing he can do for me.  As it turns out, I am a perfect candidate for revision surgery.  So please don't accept the first opinion you get.  Go for a second or even thrid.  I am so happy that I did.

Also,  I found out the problem with the Lap Band was not my fault, but that it had been overfilled for too long and casued scar tissue.  That is why I have to have it removed.  I did well with it and lost 70 pounds.  Since the restriction was removed i have gained a lot of that back. 

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.
Jen
Monique H.
on 6/24/09 2:47 am
No don't accept that. He is probably just a surgeon who doesn't do revisions. I had revision surgery to my rny and I've also had over 15 abdominal surgeries before. I've had so many abdominal surgeries that I no longer have a belly button, and the last surgery I did have was my revision. Definitely get a second opinion. You have to search for a surgeon in your area that does do revisions.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active