Considering and "adjustment"

Patricia P.
on 6/17/09 3:22 am
Hello all.  I'm new to this Forum.  I had the VBG w/sleeve 6 1/2 years ago.  I was very happy with my results of losing 130 pounds and stayed at 170 pounds for 6 months.  Then: 

1) I got married, gained 10 pounds
2) tried to get pregnant and having a miscarriage, gained 20 pounds
3) got pregnant again, gained 45 pounds
4) had a healthy baby girl, lost 20 pounds (yeah)  
5) got pregnant again with baby #2 gained 25 pounds. 
6) had another healthy baby girl, lost 25 pounds

I'm so frustrated in trying to lose this extra weight over the last year and a half since having baby #2.  I've been doing WW, and, though its really a great plan, it just isn't working for me.  I'm missing the restriction that I used to have.  I can eat so much more since my pregnancies so I know my stomach has stretched.  I have a consult with my surgeon, Dr. Elariny, in a few weeks as I'm thinking about just having an adjustment to my current mesh band or even getting the lap band.  I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this?  Were you successful or did you have any complications in doing this?

Thanks so much.

Patricia

JROLFSON
on 6/17/09 3:55 am - St. George, UT
Dear Patricia:

I had a VBG but w/o the sleeve in 1979 and revised to a RNY GB in 1989 after the staples came apart. I have just revised to an ERNY.

My suggestion to you since you've already had the sleeve portion of the surgery would convert to a DS...They would have to shorten the common conduit and take down your pouch so they could reconstruct but the sleeve portion would be done....That seems like the best transition for your situation.

Good Luck in whatever you choose.

Janie
Patricia P.
on 6/17/09 4:11 am
Janie,

Thank you for responding.  I actually know quite a bit about the DS as I have alot of friends from my WLS support group in addition to my hubby having it.  I have considered the DS, but I just don't know that I would be compliant with taking my vitamins throughout the day.  I know how important it is to take them everyday and what can happen to a person who doesn't take them.  However, I may just re-visit the thought of the DS.

Thank you again.

Patricia
Most Active