Revision to Sleeve - Didn't go so well

ThinkThinForever
on 6/17/09 1:44 am - MI
Hi,

I've read so many other stories on here I thought I'd write my own recent experience.  If you've had a similar experience, please share with me and help me know there is a light at the end of this tunnel. 

I had a revision from a lap-band to a VSG on June 2nd.  I had two bands (the first worked great until it slipped and the second never really worked correctly) and therefore a lot of scar tissue. 

My surgery did not go well at all and I ended up having three in total.  I do not believe this was a surgeon's error because my surgeon has done many of these along with other similar surgeries and has had good results.  I think that my poor abused esophgus and stomach just weren't up to the task of holding together.  Immediately following surgery I had a large leak.  When they went back in to fix that it somehow created two new abcesses and I became quite ill.  They did a THIRD surgery to put in an extra drainage tube and a feeding tube.  I am currently 15 days post-op but still only on sips of water and am being fed through my feeding tube (which is gross and such a pain). 

I spent 10 days in ICU and was finally released from the hospital yesterday after begging my surgeon to let me go home (the hospital is TWO HOURS away from my family and I have a 7 month old daughter I was missing so badly).  I still feel terrible but I am not in an excessive amount of pain.  This whole experience has brought me to tears several times because I am beyond miserable.  They expect that I won't be "back to normal" for at least another month and that's only if things progress really well.  But at least I am home (my mother is helping me during the day until my husband arrives homes). 

Honestly, had I know this would turn out so terribly I would not have had the surgery.  I cannot sleep without medication because I am in a constant state of incredible discomfort.  I do hope in a few months my entire opinion will change about having had the VSG done and I'll feel better again. 

My doctor has been incredibly excessible this entire time and has gone above and beyond to make sure I get better as quickly as possible. 

I hope those of you going in for surgery have better outcomes than I did. 
JROLFSON
on 6/17/09 4:01 am - St. George, UT
Dear Thinforever:

I feel your pain!  Unfortunately this is why so many Dr.'s shy away from Revision Surgeries...The leak problem is a major issue. There have been many on the boards that have had your same problem, not necessarily with lapband to VSG but all types of revisions that involve the pouch/stomach.

Please know that you will get better. In six months when you are skinny and looking great, you will look back on the experience and say dang, I'm really going to make this work this time cause you don't ever want to go through something like it again.

It will get better, you will get better...You will be buying new clothes and feeling wonderful about yourself very soon.

Janie
Ms Shell
on 6/17/09 4:16 am - Hawthorne, CA
I just wanted to say hello!  I have been on the VSG forum for a few years now and have seen a couple of ladies go through so MUCH pain and agony for MONTHS after having leaks develop.  While it took an extraordinary amount of time to finally heal they are alive and doing well these days.  Just hang on and do everything the doctor tells you and listen to your body.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

ThinkThinForever
on 6/17/09 8:40 am - MI
Thank you both for your encouraging words.  I hope the outcome is as you predict.  :)
USAF Wife
on 6/18/09 4:41 am
Hi there,

I had a similar experience, but I only had my band for 8 months before I revised to VSG. I had surgery on June 3rd, the leak was found during my third leak test on June 5th. Rushed to surgery to repair the leak, my lungs would not cooperate and I landed in critical condition/icu for 4 days. I was in the hospital a total of 9 days, and came home with a TPN bag, and a central line in my arm. I never had the feeding tube, so I can't say that I understand how you feel on that part.

I still have no regrets for having this surgery. Being fat, and dying of heart disease or developing diabetes in my opinion is so much worse in the long run. I haven't had anything to eat or drink, not even ice chips since June 2nd, and I have 4 more days of the TPN bag. The chance for a leak triples with revision, and due to the complications I had with my band, I was not completely surprised that I ended up with a leak. Honestly, I wish everything would of gone smoothly, but at this point, all I can do is move forward and try to recover 100%.

Even with all the complications, I would do it again to get the band out of my body and finally start living. . .
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

JROLFSON
on 6/18/09 6:37 am - St. George, UT
Very Well Put Tiffany....

Janie
ThinkThinForever
on 6/19/09 1:03 am - MI
HI Tiffany,

Thanks for sharing your story.  You definately have a more positive outlook than I do!  LOL  I am trying to be positive and think of how much I will appreciate this 6 months down the road.  I am really looking forward to eating more than water and ice chips! 
Tabitha70
on 6/19/09 2:35 am
You can do it!!
I also had complications with a bad leak and ended up in the hospital for 2 months. I had a feeding tube and was only allowed a mouth swab most of the time. I remember when I was moved up to ice chips I thought they were the best thing in the world!  :-)
It WILL get better.   Surgery and recovery is harder for some of us than others but I believe in the end it will all balance out.  In a few months this will just be a memory as you start enjoying your new life.
Stay strong!

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

ThinkThinForever
on 6/19/09 8:07 am - MI
I'm sorry you had such a terrible recovery but thank you for sharing.  It makes me feel better to know there are people who've had the same problem and are still glad they got the VSG.

My doc did warn me that my chance of having a leak was significantly higher than on a virgin stomach, so i guess I shouldn't have been so surprised by this.  i just normally come through surgeries so easily!  LOL   I did not expect the problems. 

Thank you agian for sharing.
babsintx
on 6/19/09 8:47 am - GA
HI,

I am so sorry you have to go through this. Luckily, I did not have complications with my band to sleeve revision in light of the fact I had a band for 5 years with lots of scarring and adhesions. You will feel better and have a great quality of life with the sleeve. I know you cant see it now, but once you are able to eat food you will be thrilled with your sleeve. I was on liquids for a month after surgery just to be sure and because my surgery was 4 1/2 hours, it took me a lot longer to recover than my original surgery. PM me if you want to talk!!

Babs

Most Active