Bye bye band!

Heather M.
on 6/17/09 1:35 am - Rosedale, MD
Surgery took MUCH longer than expected.  We were told 90 minutes to two hours.  I was in there for 5 and a half hours.  Apparently I lost a good amount of blood, but didn't need a transfusion.  When the doctor went in to fix my slipped band  he found a great amount of scar tissue.  So much that my stomach was adhered to my liver.  The first day was rough, but I sprung back pretty quickly thanks to a morphine pump.  I stayed on it for just a day and a half then came off.  Oh, I was supposed to be in the hospital for just a day, but ended up being there from Thursday through Sunday!  Anyway, the doc couldn't fix the slip and couldn't replace the band either, so he "sleeved" me.  Before I was able to leave the hospital I had to have a leak test; which came out negative for a leak.  I have a drain that comes out on Thursday.  It's a pain, but not painful.  I'm happy with the sugery and I'm recovering nicely.  The only real pain I have is from my sciatic nerve and that's so bad that I'm actually taking the pain meds they gave me for my surgery (highly unusual for me).  Mom and Dad came down to help Floyd with the girls and then let me stay with them the first days out of the hospital while Floyd started a new job.  I'm home on my own today and so far so good.  The sciatica is horrible, the drain comes out tomorrow, but life is good to be starting anew again.  I did great with my band losing 89 pounds my first 18 months.  I can't be angry with it for failing me in the end, so I look forward to getting the rest of the weight off with the help from my new stomach. 

Revised to VSG (6/11/09) weighing 253...

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/09 6:24 am - San Diego, CA
Hi Heather,

Wow, it sounds like you have been through a terrible ordeal!  I am really glad to hear you are feeling better for the most part.  Best of luck to you for smooth sailing henceforth!

-Lisa-
Ms Shell
on 6/17/09 8:58 am - Hawthorne, CA
Sounds like you are healing and on your way to a healthier happier you!!

MS Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Danielle R.
on 6/17/09 10:23 am - Stevensville, MD
Wow Heather! You have been through quite an ordeal! I am glad to hear that you are recovering nicely! I hope your girls are doing well. Take care.
Danielle
Live well, Laugh Often, Love Much!

Lapband surgery 11-27-07
Proud mommy to Aidan Daniel on 2-11-09

start/current/goal
246/156/145
Heather M.
on 6/18/09 3:19 am - Rosedale, MD
Hi Danielle!!!  How's the baby boy???

Danielle R.
on 6/18/09 7:50 am - Stevensville, MD
Aidan is absolutely wonderful! He is 4 mopnths already I cant believe it. I love him soooooo much! After gaining way more than I would have liked during my pregnancy, I have learned that when I have my next child I will not be getting an unfill unless I am having problems. I am happy to report I am almost to my original goal before I was prego. I am glad to hear you are on the road to recovery with your revision.
Live well, Laugh Often, Love Much!

Lapband surgery 11-27-07
Proud mommy to Aidan Daniel on 2-11-09

start/current/goal
246/156/145
Heather M.
on 6/18/09 7:55 am - Rosedale, MD
I definitely loved not being unfilled for my pregnancy!  Congrats on the goal weight!!! Can't wait until I can say that!  It's hard to believe our babies are 4 and 6 months already!!!!

Most Active