revision from lap to rny using PHP/Cofinity ins (michigan based)??

bartoe
on 6/16/09 10:53 am
If so I have a question for you.  I'm currently in the process of getting my lap band switch to an RNY because of Acid Reflux and hernia issues, however I rec'd a call today from one of the ladies who is reviewing my case with a few questions and after I got off the phone the more I thought about how strange the phone call was....and I was wondering if anyone else was asked strange questions like mine because something just didn't add up....don't get me wrong i beleived it was the insurance company because when i called my pre-op coordinator she called me back and confirmed the lady called and left her a voicemail for some quesitons:

1. The PHP rep wanted to know who paid for the 1st surgery back in 2006, when I told her I was under my parent's insurance company MEESA they were the ones who approved the surgery ---what i'd like to know is why does PHP care if a diff ins company paid for a surgery? Is it even any of their business/concern?

2. She ask me why I never called the Sparrow Weight Management Program (I called the female baratric team - who denied me as a patient, I had a jerk in Owosso - who I left, I called the drs at sparrow who perfomed the lap band surgery and never rec'd a call back), had I thought about finding  lap band dr in the EL area (I go to Dr. Kemmeter in GR), how did I become a patient of Dr. Kemmeter (through a refferal here and took my chances), have I thought about going to an OBGYN up here (my obgyn gave me a referral letter the first time around because I have PCOS and she was the one helping me w/the pcos)

3. They also wanted to know what care I rec'd w/ my first surgery - i.e. internist appt, saw the psychologist, saw my drs nutritionist.  They were a little surprised that I wasn't on a "diet" however, i had my parent's insurance I was actively on weigh****chers and I had been on it for 4 years and provided documentation, plus i had the qualifications w/the insurance company....

so i dunno what to think - i've never had to have anything approved before where the insurance company called and asked me odd questions (when i had my lap band surgery the drs office took care of everything) so I was just curious :)

thanks!

p.s. any other advice would be great!
Most Active