Laproscopic Revision of enlarged pouch and stoma?

marcia7749
on 6/16/09 12:55 am
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to do a Laproscopic reduction of an enlarged pouch and stoma?

I am looking at a revision, but hoping for something like this, rather than any much more drastic  of a procedure.

My pouch is 100 cm and the stoma is wide open.....

My RNY is 25 yrs old.....1984....and I have gained all of my weight back....albeit it took  25 years to get to this point.

Thank you....

Marcia
Monique H.
on 6/16/09 1:14 am
I think it really depends on how much scar tissue or adhesions you have. I know that some surgeons will attempt to, but if unable they will have to open you up. Good luck to you.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
JROLFSON
on 6/16/09 2:59 am, edited 6/16/09 7:52 am - St. George, UT
Hi Marcia:

The only revision surgery I am aware of that targets making the pouch and stoma opening smaller which is minimally invasive, are Stomaphyx, Restore and Rose Procedures.  Although to date on this forum there hasn't been a lot of glowing reviews on these procedures. I do believe their have been a few successes but can't think of who they are right now.

I actually had considered the Stomaphyx myself until I talked with several who had done it and their success was grim....I would not be surprised though that these procedures will improve with time and more study.

Something I myself would be excited for as I wouldn't mind having a stich or two taken in my pouch and stoma as well.

Good Luck Marcia

Janie
marcia7749
on 6/16/09 3:49 am
Hi Janie,

Thank you for responding.....

You Mentioned:
"The only Lap Reduction surgery I am aware of that targets making the pouch and stoma opening smaller are Stomaphyx, Restore and Rose Procedures. "

Aren't they considered Endoscopic procedures?

Shoot......I guess I am not sure what I am thinking...

Just looking for a "not to drastic" type of revision. 

I, also have heard that those procedures you mentioned were not successful.....I researced them all for quite some time.....the clips all seem to come loose.....

Thank you so much!!

Marcia
JROLFSON
on 6/16/09 7:52 am, edited 6/16/09 7:54 am - St. George, UT
You're exactly right I had my Lap confused with Endo...Sorry!

And right again about the success of these procedures...To date their not very....If someone on this site has been successful I wish they would speak up.

If you want a Lap Procedure that would probably be determined by whether or not you had lap with your first procedure. Personally after having WL Surgery I wouldn't go for Lap mainly because you don't know what's going on in there and being opened is the only way you would know. Just my preference. For example if I hadn't been opened my Dr. wouldn't have seen the 2 inch bowel obstruction that was causing major constipation but not completely obstructed from all the scar tissue. There are many factors here.

FYI my RNY was 20 years old and was revised from a stapling that was 10 years old. Making me a 30 years WL Surgery Patient. I am now revised to ERNY...

Good Luck,

Janie
marcia7749
on 6/16/09 10:42 am
Janie,

Wow....you have had quite a journey!! Have never talked with anyone having had one before mine....(1984)  lol.....

Your journey was certainly scary at times.....that first year especially.....thankfully you made it thru all of that....

I see what you mean about a Lap might not find things wrong in there....when doing a revision.

As for a LAP in 1984?  I don't think they had ever thought about LAPS back then.

Well, I meet with the surgeon on Thursday to discuss my EGD and my revision options.

My guess is that he is going to tell me to go home and diet......ughhh

I can lose weight alright, but not for long ......and the weight comes back with a vengeance.

Wishing you tons and tons of a weight loss with your new ERNY......

Thank you so much,

Marcia
asumamma1
on 6/16/09 8:17 am - NC
I had laparoscopic revision of my RNY.  The original surgery did not transect my stomach.  Therefore, the staple line disrupted (I basically had a "normal" stomach again).  The doctor repaired that error by transecting and restapling.  I also had a lapband placed above the pouch.  It was minimally invasive and the recovery was not bad at all.  I lost about 50 pounds following the revision, but have regained around 15.  I'm seeing the doctor for a band fill in about 30 days and will be doing the 5 day pouch test at least once prior to that appointment.  My doctor is Dr. David Voellinger in Charlotte, NC (not sure where you are located). He is the only surgeon in NC that I know of who is capable of doing revision laparoscopically.  Hope this helps!
daisymom
on 6/16/09 9:45 am - Belmont, NC
Hi,
I have my consultation with Dr. Voellinger in 3 weeks for a revision. I am hoping to have a revision to a DS. Do you happen to know if he does that? I had gastric bypass in 2003, but I have gained all my weight back plus more.
The kind of revision you had, did Dr. Voellinger say how much you would lose?
Thanks for your help.
danasjourney
on 6/16/09 10:33 am
Hi Daisy-
I would love to hear what you discover about revision. I had a gastric bypass lap in 2002 and have been so ashamed over my weight gain. I too gained everything back and then some. I feel like an idiot going back to the surgeon,,,,and it is reassuring to know  that so many other people have struggled in the same way. I am hoping to have a minimally invasive revision-- do you know if anyone on here has had any luck with it?
daisymom
on 6/16/09 9:13 pm - Belmont, NC
Hi Dana,
I sent you a message; I'll be happy to keep you informed on what I find out.
Most Active