Had revision to RNY Thursday

brandyII
on 6/15/09 9:39 am
Well I had my revision to RNY on Thursday and released on Saturday.  It was a lot tougher than the Lap band placement was but I should have expected it.  I'm sure I'll feel better day to day.

Was everyone taken off their hbp meds for surgery and afterward? I've had headaches since the surgery and of course can't just pop meds to get rid of them.  It may not be related to the bp meds but was just curious if anyone else suffered with the headaches afterward and why they take you off your blood pressure meds, thanks Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/09 10:05 am
It would be a good idea to call you surgeon and ask if he/she meant for you to stay off you hbp meds. Though we love our doctors they are human and need some help to remember what they consider the small things sometimes.
If you can check you bp and let them know what it is that would help him decide.
Good luck to you
brandyII
on 6/15/09 10:15 am

Thanks Puff,

Are you going through the Ellis group too?  Good luck with your surgery, Nancy.

shele
on 6/15/09 10:18 am
I had a horrible headache for days after surgery and none of the meds ( lortab) would touch it. He gave me a med specifcally for headaches and it took care of it quite quickly! It is called Fiorinal.  I had forgot about that too until I saw your post.  I am glad you are through and doing better!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

brandyII
on 6/15/09 10:26 am, edited 6/15/09 10:26 am
Thanks Shele,

I will check out with my doc about the bp meds and ask about the Fiorinal, thanks Nancy.

rebeccaford
on 6/15/09 12:21 pm - Honolulu, HI
I wasn't taken off my blood pressue meds right away.  I think about 1 month out they weaned me off.  But the BP is back up on the high side again, so I'm back on.  I know I'm a classic genetic HP chick.  My sister is a marathon runner, kettlebell champion, weighs about 120 lbs has impecable blood work, but has outrageous HP.  I'm only on 25mg of atenolol and if I have to take that for life then that is fine with me.  Even after I had lost all my weight with my first surgery in 2003, I was still on HP medicine.  So I'm not too stressed out. 

I am a chronic headache sufferer and I'm on meds for that and I take it at night.  I know some people go thru sugar and/or caffeine withdrawal.  Could that be it? 

Hang in there...it gets better!
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

brandyII
on 6/15/09 12:54 pm

Thanks Rebecca,

I don't know what is causing the headaches now but I was out of it when they told me to stop taking them along with my diabetes meds.  It just was that my blood pressure was on the high side while I was in the hospital and I don't know if that might be a mistake.  I'm calling them tomorrow to ask about the meds and about the headaches.  I was pretty much on a four week medifast liquid diet prior to surgery so I don't think it's the sugar and I only drink about a cup a tea a day.

I know that hbp can happen genetically too, I'm not positive if that runs in my family.  Anyway thanks I hope I can get some answers from the doc tomorrow, Nancy.

Most Active