Lap-Band Removal

2ndchance
on 6/14/09 1:37 pm
My doctor finally approved my lap-band removal.  Now I need to get it scheduled etc...

I have to admit, that after all the issues that I've had, that I'm sooo scared to go into surgery again.  But I'm very, very happy to get this band out!!!!

For those that have had their band removed, can you tell the risk factors, etc... I can't seem to find the information on the internet.  I'm a new mom and not to sound over dramatic (sp?).  But I don't want to die in surgery.  I have visions of my band removal tearing my stomach and causing more trouble.

How long was your recovery?

Was the pain the same as when your band was put in?

I would also love any/all positive stories about life after band-removal.  I really want my life back....the band has controlled my life and my families.  Everything has revolved around is mom going to get sick etc....

I need to be strong and would love any support that you can offer.

I call the doctor tomorrow to work on dates for the surgery.  Sorry for rambling, but my mind and thoughts are all over the place.

Also, if you want to send me a private e-mail that would work.
dori11848
on 6/14/09 4:27 pm - bklyn, NY
Hi.

Best of luck to you!.  My band is still in and I am looking for info like  you. I don't know who fail;ed who, me or the band, but I have pb'd most meals and then got soft food syndrome and gained;.  Hated the restriction. But I am considering the RNY revision. Again, hang in there and trust yourself.

Dori

id:dori11848
2ndchance
on 6/15/09 6:52 am
Thanks,

I get my band removed on the 23rd.  I haven't heard of soft food syndrome, but that was me for a long time.  I stopped reading the boards due to regret regarding the band.

babsintx
on 6/15/09 6:22 am - GA
Hi,

A band removal isnt that complicated unless you are having a revision that requires removal of scar tissue and adhesions. YOu didnt say if you were revising to anything else.

I was a revision from lapband to sleeve. My band removal was quick, but all the adhesions to my liver and stomach took 4 hours to take down and then I was sleeved. Since youare not a revision, the band removal shouldnt be too bad. Plus I was a bandster for 5 years which caused lots of scar tissue to form around an already slipped band. My life after banding is exceptional. I love sleeved life and I am now only 5 pounds from goal. Dont worry you will do fine!!!

Babs

2ndchance
on 6/15/09 6:55 am

Hi Babs,

Thank you so very much for the nice words.  I'm not having any revision.  At this point, I just can't imagine doing anything else due to the trouble with the band. 

I'm scheduled for the 23rd for the removal.

I'll ask the doctor if the band has slipped or what he sees inside.  From the first, it just hasn't felt right and I've always had trouble. 

Heather M.
on 6/17/09 1:33 am - Rosedale, MD
Wow Babs!  You sound like me!  Just had my band removed 6/11 and posting a thread about it now.

Revised to VSG (6/11/09) weighing 253...

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/17/09 3:10 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I had my Band removed and was converted to a VSG at the same time.  I did not have a tough time at all recovering. :)  And I have to tell you, life without my band is FABULOUS.  I don't miss the evil silicone serpant at all!

My weight loss with the VSG was not as good as some (only 50 pounds in 4 months...then nothing for almost 8 months now), but the ddifference in the quality of life is well worth it.  My stomach is normal.  I don't PB.  I don't have to know where every single bathroom is.  I don't have to carry baggies in my purse or worry about which new food  my band won't like.

In general, a Band removal is a pretty straight forward operation.  I've heard of very few (none come to mind) complications... although sometimes the stomach isn't left in the greatest shape due to the Band. (Especially if errosion was a factor.0

Good luck :)  If you choose an experience band removal surgeon, you should be fine.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

brandyII
on 6/17/09 4:50 pm
I had my band removed in October and it was a breeze compared to getting the band in the first place.  Plus it was quicker and out-patient.  Recovery was simple for me then.  Now of course I have just had the RNY and there was a bit of scar tissue and I think this surgery is way more painful than getting the lap band.  Good luck to you and hope your removal was as easy as mine, Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

2ndchance
on 6/20/09 1:20 pm
Thank you all for the kind words.  I'm officially scheduled for Tuesday.  I pray that I don't have damage from the band.  At this point it is a mind game for me and I have to tell myself that everything will be fine and life without all the past drama will be much better in the long run.

Again, thank you all soooo very much for your words of wisdom and kindness.

datweeie
on 8/1/11 7:27 am - IL

I had my lap band installed in August 2004.  It was eroding thru my stomach and I just had it removed 7/7/11.  It was done laprascopic, but I am still not 100% yet.  I still have a sore spot where they removed the port.

This was surgery #7 for me and the longest recovery of them all.  Everyone has their own recovery time and healing.  I have not had any food issues at all.  I just don't have anything restricting my intake of food.

My hubby has been great though.  He is making my plate to control my portions for me.  I am happy to say I have lost 10 pounds since surgery and plan to do more, as I won't do another surgery.  The doc said I needed to wait 6 months before he would consider anything, but I won't do it.  Too many surgeries already.

Aside from the pain from healing, I am ok.  I think there was something done near a muscle and my abdomen is just slow healing.

I wish anyone and everyone the best of luck.  I am also happy to answer any questions about band removal and stomach erosion of the band.  One day at a time is my philosophy...

Most Active