Had Revision on June 30th, - doing well

lilliangs
on 6/13/09 2:08 am, edited 7/17/09 3:04 am - Euclid, OH
I had VGB in 1993 and to my memory lost over 100 lbs.  I was 335 when I had the first surgery.  All through the years I gained weight blindly....never even saw it happening...

I was approved and are having a revision to RNY and unlike the first surgery have a very big support system at the hospital.  The first time I flew from Ohio to Iowa and had the surgery and back home...nothing else, no support, no anything.

This time I had to do alot of test and have nuturition classes etc.  I'm ready and with a starting weight of 377 I weight more than the first time.  I am prepared for the slow loss but it will be worth it medically speaking.  I have so many issues to deal with and are told will get much better once I lose the weight.

Plus....I ride a motorcycle and long rides were killing me physically.  I do hate that I probably won't be able to ride anytime soon, but again Its' worth the many things I have to give up.

Wish me luck, and I will keep you posted.  My Surgery date is June 30, 2009.

June 19, 2009

Wow, I can't believe it's almost here.  I work two jobs so time is flying by trying to get everything in order with being off work.  I would say that being able to remote into my computer is not going to help .

I haven't been motivated to go shopping for the food or vitamins or protein shakes that I will need after the revision, but I have time right?  I love looking at the before and after pictures and although I know everyone is different I try to pick a woman with the same starting weight and body type as myself and try to image I will look like their beautiful after pictures.

I know...stop it...lol.  I have a very good support group growing and I love the support here and the chat is awesome.  I was there chatting away and everyone was so nice and helpful and willing to answer all my questions.

Count down to the new start in my life.

Well one day to go, My revision is tomorrow the 30th.  Keep me in your prayers.

Lillian
daisymom
on 6/13/09 6:01 am - Belmont, NC
Lillian,
Good luck with your surgery. I'm hoping for a revision to a DS. I had a RNY in 2003 and like you, I now weigh more than I did before I had my RNY.
Keep us posted!
rebeccaford
on 6/13/09 3:22 pm - Honolulu, HI
As I've said a few times on this board...congrats on getting rid of that 'ol nasty VBG.  I'm a survivor and just had a revision on April 6.  The weight loss is slow, but that's fine with me!!  I didn't have any support groups or anything the first time around.  Now there is so much support and tons of products to make it a lot easier.  Lots of sugar free stuff out there now. 

You are going to do GREAT!!!  I'm so glad I had it done.  I don't throw up (pre-revision, I was throwing up after eating anything - up to 3 times a day!!) and I can swallow pills!! 

Even if I never lose another pound my quality of life has improved so much it was all worth it. 

Feel free to email me about anything. I know what you are going through.  Wishing you tons of luck and a peaceful recovery!!! 

Rebecca
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

shele
on 6/13/09 10:11 pm
Hi, I had my revision from rny to e-rny on march 23. I am loosing very slowly.  Good luck with your surgery and keep us updated!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

lilliangs
on 6/13/09 10:13 pm - Euclid, OH
Thank you both for the support and well wishes.  I will keep you updated.
mew6495
on 6/13/09 10:52 pm - MI
 Best of luck to you Lillian.  I am sure you will do wonderful.  How exciting to get a second chance!  Do you know if your doctor is planning on doing a Proximal, Distal or ERNY?  Depending on how much malabsorption you want, the Distal and ERNY will give you the greatest malabsorption.

I hope you have an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!

lilliangs
on 6/14/09 7:34 am - Euclid, OH
You know i'm not sure if it's the RNY or the ERNY.

Thanks I hope it goes well also.  I'll let you know for sure.

Lillian
kreddicks
on 6/14/09 12:09 am - Hockley, TX
Revision on 09/10/07 with
Hi Lillian,

I wish you all the best on your revision! I had great results with my VBG for the first couple of years, however, something weird happened and I gained all the weight back along with more. I had the RNY in Sept. 07 and loving it! Enjoy the ride!

Kim
JROLFSON
on 6/15/09 6:11 am - St. George, UT

Hi Lillian:

FYI, I had VBG in 1979 and lost over 100 lbs and was revised to a RNY in 1989 after the staples came apart. I lost just as fast after the revision to RNY as I did the first VBG...Also, I had no problem at all riding a motorcycle....

So good luck and keep the faith...you will lose...it will work and probably better than mine as I was supposed to get a full RNY Gastric Bypass but my Dr. forgot to do much of a bypass at all I think he ran out of time as it took him a long time to do the surgery.

JR

lilliangs
on 6/15/09 7:03 am - Euclid, OH

JR

Thank you so much, you don't know how everyone is making me feel so much better about this revision.

I must admit one of my concerns has been laid to rest.  I'm a fast loser if I do what I'm supposed to do, which i will.  Well, I did before but complications came into the picture.

So I believe like you I will lose just like before.  And thanks, I would hate to not be able to ride the rest of the season, but some things you have to give up in order to improve your health.

Lillian

Most Active