QUESTION FOR ERNY'S

ginau
on 6/13/09 1:13 am - mesa, AZ
 Morning JR

Just catching up here a bit and reading.. I saw your post and had a question ..... How does having Gas remind you that surgery is working ??  Oil slicks - I understand.

Revisioners are slower loosers- always heard that. I had been trading the same 6 lbs  back and forth. Then my mind opened up and told me to make the change,  I reflected back on what Dr S has told me , What Joyce has shared with me. Then vitalady came and talked about regain and my mind reminded me to make a change..   I finally made the change and in 10 days dropped 12 lbs - I'll take it!!!

So here is what worked for me ..

do the 5 day pouch test ,, you know full liquids progressing to solids

increase water, water , WATER!

no inbetween meal snacks - if you really want something - Drink a protein shake.

add in 3-5 shakes a day - make em count ! no less than 25  grms of protein per drink! you might absorb half the protein - so the higher the better. they tell you to shoot for 200 so  that your body will absorb  at least 50%  

Most important ..... cut out White Carbs !! they start breaking down  when they hit your mouth!

stay away from Low-fat foods - they are full of sugar!  better to eat the fat  your not going to absorb.

I know your going to do great .. ya have to give your body time to adjust.  by only getting in 1000 caories - your body is  trying to hold on to everything it's got.  trick your body  by geting in more protein.

Again  this is what has worked for me.  may not work for anyone else , 

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

JROLFSON
on 6/13/09 8:48 am - St. George, UT

Hey Gina:

It's good to hear from you...It really makes you feel good to come on this board...pose a question and get answers from experts...people with the same plumbing as myself....When I said gas reminds me that my surgery is working means...I probably ate carbs that I shouldn't have...and my new plumbing is saying don't feed me this again...

I went down today and bought lots and lots of protein shakes...Do you ever eat the protein bars?

Anyway, I'm going to start getting in much more protein...I did show a 2 lb loss in the last couple days but those couple of lbs keep coming and going so I'm not counting that yet.

Thanks for your help. Dr. S called me and left a sweet message to let me know that I should expect stalls after all I did lose 25 lbs between the pre op diet and the first week after surgery he said a stall is to be expected.

I need to get with Vital Lady...sounds like she has it together.

Thanks again for everything Gina.

Janie

ginau
on 6/14/09 4:12 am - mesa, AZ

Janie

I Never think of gas that way, Had it before surgery and still continues.

GinaU aka Jeanna 

-

JROLFSON
on 6/14/09 11:51 pm - St. George, UT
Really, I never had gas before surgery...just wasn't part of my problems until now...it's not that bad, quite controllable. But definately new.

Janie
asumamma1
on 6/15/09 10:45 am - NC
Gina, can you explain the "5 day pouch test"?  I'm stalled to slowly regaining and would like to try this out.  Thanks!
shele
on 6/13/09 12:49 am

Hey Janie,

I had a major stall/ loose gain period for a solid month.  I thought I was going to loose my mind.  I have started loosing again, but slowly. But... I will take it! Hang in there, it will come off. 

BTW... my channel is 120. ;( but it seems to be working just like they told me it would!

I try to follow the ds diet.

Hang in there!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/09 2:44 am
I am having my revision on Friday and it's nice to hear the info so I can kind of be prepared. I am have a distal RNY (he doesn't really call it this but said it's basically the same) I guess. Dr. is going for 100 common. My fingers are crossed that it'll work for me.

Thanks for sharing everyone!!
SheriAZ
on 6/16/09 4:21 am
I have been feeling like a failure AGAIN lately and I am hoping to get some help here. I have not lost one ounce in 3 months now. My husband can't figure it out since I am in the bathroom at least 4 times a day which is down from 8 times a day. I am also exercising and taking liquid protein, pre-digested, which is 35 to 40 grams of usable protein each day. I concentrate on protein first and fiber second. I also try to stay away from high fat food since I developed the orange oil slicks and it seems to just slip out whenever and where ever it feels like it. Honestly, after everything I have gone through and now with the 3 month stand still I really wish I had never had this done. The gas is horrible, I sleep on the couch for my husbands sake. I need to be near a bathroom most times and hope I can make it. I have gotten to the point where I almost feel as if I need Depends. I have constant pain from the scars of the surgery and the resulting infections and the scars from that, I can't stand straight without pain and pulling in the surgery area. I lost 15 lbs per surgery and 50 lbs from De****il March and nothing since. I started at 300 lbs and am at 240. Its not enough. My common channel is 70 so I guess even though mine is shorter I am in the same boat as the rest. Anyway help please. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way I don't do white and I can't do fruit at all other then bananas. I avoid sugar all together. I love salads but it goes right through me. I find myself living on handfuls of ham, turkey and cheese most of the time and Greek yogart. If i CHEAT it is usually microwave popcorn or blue corn chips with salsa.
ginau
on 6/16/09 6:42 am - mesa, AZ
 Sheri

Call and talk to Dr about the gas.  Stalls are normal. You need to  chart out your food journal for a week or two ..  see what your protein intake is along with everything else... You can always  push water and protein more..  You need to trick your body into  wanting to burn them calories..

GinaU aka Jeanna 

-

JRinAZ
on 6/17/09 7:53 am - Layton, UT
Sheri,
Join us tomorrow evening?  It's the first HM = Highly Malabsorptive support group (Erny's, Distals, and Ds's).  We can give and get feedback!

Tempe St Luke's, Room 207, 6 - 7:30 pm,  Peer Facilitated so "NO RULES"!!!

Call me if you have questions, K?  480.814.7466
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active