QUESTION FOR ERNY'S

JROLFSON
on 6/12/09 4:43 am - St. George, UT
Hi everyone:

I want to ask for any ERNY's *****ceived a 100 Shortened Common Conduit to please respond with their experiences and weight loss success.

Thanks,

J Rolfson
Monique H.
on 6/12/09 4:46 am, edited 6/12/09 4:47 am
Well mine is SUPPOSED TO BE 150 and I think you know my story. Is it not going well for you?
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
JROLFSON
on 6/12/09 5:49 am, edited 6/12/09 6:00 am - St. George, UT
Well I can't say that because I lost 20 lbs pre op and 5 lbs post op the first week. Since I arrived at home it has been 2 weeks I haven't lost any weight. But, I was really not eating anything and most folks say my system is in starvation mode. After getting on the scale this morning I seemed to have dropped 2 lbs. But I've done that a couple times in the last 2 weeks and picked it back up.

So I'm reserving my opinions for 1 week at a time after I weigh in. I have to learn to not weigh daily as it is frustrating. So I'm aiming for every Monday.

The reason I posted this question to ERNY'ers with 100 or more shortened common conduit is I really want to know what the journey has been for them and success rate. I'm not trying to lose a ton of weight and I really don't care how long it takes to lose it as long as I steadily lose. 1-2 lbs a week would thrill me immensely. But I must say that in comparison to my 2 other surgeries I am not experiencing the kind of weight loss that I did then. But I also know how revision goes and that one is normally metabolically stubborn especially if nothing is done to the pouch.

I read your story on your profile and was wondering if your Dr. told you why he didn't shorten your common conduit shorter? I was a little upset when I didn't receive shorter than I did because I see where the biggest part of the weight loss is with those who have a shorter common conduit. I thought when I went into surgery I would come out with something like 65-85 but for some reason he felt I needed to be 100...And truly I think if the difference helps me to stay healthier than that's a good thing. Also, how are your intestinal issues. Have you experienced the gas and bloating or oil slick problems?

Thank you Monique for your insight and honesty about your journey. You should be glad you lost after surgery what you did. I would love to lose 25 lbs after surgery, instead most of mine has been lost prior to.

Janie

Monique H.
on 6/12/09 7:51 am
He said that usually the amount he shortens revisions is enough and the weight falls off of people. He also said that he didn't want me to have too bad of bathroom issues. I have none. I gotten gassy lately, but I'm trying to pay attention to what I eat when I do. I think it is the fruit. As far as oil slicks and bloating, no I don't. I actually have to take stool softeners daily. I know, I know TMI.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Deanne K.
on 6/12/09 6:59 am, edited 6/12/09 6:59 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Janie,
I saw vitalady this week and she told me that in order to drop weight we need 200 gms of protein and to maintain a good level of protein in our labs.  I sure haven't been getting that much, I know for sure.  Not more than 35 gms at a time.  Remember you upper part of the Y is so short he told you that he needed to leave your cc shorter in order for you to not have vitamin absorption problems.  Trust that he knows what he did.  Don't get discouraged, it will get better.  Have you tried to add the good fats?  Your body needs some.  The oil slicks are manageable when you add fiber for the oils to bind too.  I bet you still aren't eating enough.  You need to get at least 1000 calories a day, most of which should be protein.  Low glycemic indexed fruits and vegetables.   I also had the gas issues, it does get better.  I don't have much gas unless I have meals of pure carbs. 

Rembember the difference in 100 and 75 is 25 cm which is less than 1 foot.  That was what I was bypassed when I had my original was 1 foot. 

Deanne
JROLFSON
on 6/12/09 7:23 am - St. George, UT
Hi Deanne:

Thanks for your response. 200 gms of protein I can barely get in 100. It truly is a stretch for me to get in all my protein. I think I have raised my calorie level to about 1100 per day. I did sign up on Weigh****chers and I'm watching points and protein.

Thanks for explaining that to me again Deanne. That was the part I didn't get. I do trust our Dr. he is very wise. I'm just frustrated because I've always lost so well right after surgery and my weight loss is completely stalled for the last 2 weeks. So Frustrating to me. You start feeling as if I hope I didn't do this for nothing. Which is really defeating yourself I know.

Today is the first day I haven't had any gas issues. So that was really good. But when I have the gas issues I actually feel good because I know my tool is working and telling me things. It's a double edged sword.

What are the good fats?

Janie
Deanne K.
on 6/12/09 9:16 am - Tucson, AZ
The good fats are like olive oil, canola oil.

Don't be so hard on yourself.  The weight will come off.  It maybe slow, but don't get discouraged.  You had major surgery.

I definately also have problems getting the 100 gm of protein.  She said this is not counting from food. 

Deanne
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/09 7:55 am - San Diego, CA
Hi Friend,

You seem to be doing great!  Don't get discouraged yet.  Give it time to work with you. :)  You will do fine!

I feel you on the frustration...I have no restriction until my fill next week and my weight loss is solely due to me following protocol for the last 3 weeks (who'd-a thunk it...lol).  I SO badly want the weight loss I had with my original RNY but I know that ain't happenin so I will chime into my "patience is a virtue" characteristics and hang tight.

Hugs...
mew6495
on 6/12/09 11:54 am - MI
On June 12, 2009 at 11:43 AM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Hi everyone:

I want to ask for any ERNY's *****ceived a 100 Shortened Common Conduit to please respond with their experiences and weight loss success.

Thanks,

J Rolfson
 Hey Girl Friend!

So nice to see you on the boards again!     

Your story reminds me so much of mine at that point!  I hit a stall for about 3 weeks and felt "oh my go****raveled and had major surgery for nothing!"  Don't despair!  Your body is adjusting and perhaps you will loose more weight in sporadic spurts rather then slow and steady...

I have a very hard time getting in my protein, let alone 200 g a day!  YIKES!  My protein levels were a little low prior to my revision and obviously right after as well.  At my 3 month check they were still low.  I started very consciously upping my protein intake at that point  and had my labs done again.  This time my labs came back still a little low but within normal range.  But.....at this same time I started loosing a bit more steady.  I think it was because of my protein levels came up and I was also taking in more as part of my regular diet.  I know that now if I increase my protein, I tend to loose, If I increase my carbs I tend to maintain and depending on the amount I intake, I gain.

Are your clothes fitting any differently?  Many times I would notice that long before I would see a drop in the scales.

Hang in there you are doing good.  

Again...WELCOME BACK!
MEW

JROLFSON
on 6/12/09 1:58 pm - St. George, UT

Hey Girlfriend Back to Ya:

Yea, I'm back and feeling good just a little insecure about the weight loss. I've always been so good at losing weight after surgery...My usual is 35 lbs in a month right after surgery...Of course both of those surgeries had pouch work done. So I know this is different. And I'm really being a doubting thomas, shame on me.

I figured since I went back to work this week that my activity level would increase and so would my weight loss. I also joined Weigh****chers so I can really watch all my intakes.

So I didn't know you had a 3 week stall...That makes me feel so much better, I can't even begin to tell you...This is what I have been trying to find out...I was beginning to think because my common conduit is longer that I won't be as successful.

Thanks so much MEW...These are the kinds of information I'm looking for experiences that relate to my own. I so hope you are right...But I'm not giving up, not ever.

All one needs are people like all of you to keep up the encouragement...depression and despair oftens does get the best of you after surgery.

JR

Most Active