Curious about other's revision?

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/09 3:26 am
I am scheduled for a revision on June 19th and I was curious about other people's outcome of revisions?

DId you have success? What type did you have? And anything else you'd like to share.

Thanks,
Tara
Lorie2
on 6/10/09 12:13 pm
What kind of revision are you having? I had rny 6 yrs ago. I wanted a revision to a ds. That didn't happen because of complications. I ended up having an extended rny. My common channel is a 100 cm. It's just like the bottom half of the ds. I still have my pouch. My surgery was in feb. I have lost about 40 pounds so far.Things are going good!!
Lori
(deactivated member)
on 6/10/09 2:06 pm
Sounds like the same thing I'm having done. He said it's like a long limbed RNY yet not called the same. Common channel will be 100 cm as well.

40 lbs. is great. Glad to hear you've had great luck with it. THanks for sharing!

Tara
JROLFSON
on 6/17/09 1:06 am - St. George, UT
Hi:

I had ERNY on May 20th and have lost 29 lbs to date. I would have loved a DS as well because I feel down the road the change to my stomach would have helped with weight loss. But I'm happy so far. My common channel is also 100 with no changes to the pouch. There have been a few issues with gas and using the bathroom a lot but I've welcomed that change as I would sometimes not go potty for up to two weeks at a time.

When my surgeon did my ERNY he found that my RNY Gastric Bypass actually had hardly no bypass at all. He said had they given me the bypass portion of the surgery I most likely would have been more successful.

Oh well day late and dollar short.

So far very happy.

Janie
Kerry J.
on 6/10/09 12:58 pm - Santa Clara, UT
 Hi Tara,

I got a revision from RNY / Gastric Bypass to DS last Sept. The surgery and recovery were pretty rough, but well worth the trouble. I've lost 83 pounds, I eat like a normal, I feel great and look like a normal thin person now; even though I could still lose 15 or so more pounds to be in the "normal" BMI range.

I love my DS, it's way better than the RNY ever was.

Kerry
(deactivated member)
on 6/10/09 2:10 pm
Thanks for sharing KErry. I'm glad your DS is successful for you.

Information is good!
tangela
on 6/15/09 2:26 pm - Huntsville, AL
Hi Kerry,
I'm glad to hear that the procedure worked well for you.  May I ask if you had any insurance issues?  I have BC/BS
Kerry J.
on 6/15/09 9:55 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Hi tangela,

I didn't have any insurance issues, my insurance didn't cover anything to do with wls. I suppose I could have fought them because of my staple line break down, and co-morbidity's but I had the cash and I wanted my life back so I just self paid.

My case was also a very difficult one because of how long ago I had the original RNY/Gastric Bypass. I felt like I needed the best, most experienced DS revision surgeon possible and not the least expensive. As it turned out, it's a good thing I chose as I did. I had so many adhesion's and so much scar tissue that I was on the OR table for 8 1/2 hours and even then Dr. Rabkin missed one problem from the old surgery and I had to go back for another surgery three days later. The second surgery took 4 1/2 hours, but it fixed the problem. 

The reason I'm telling you this is so that you'll understand that a revision of any kind is a big deal and that a revision from RNY to DS is a real big deal; Dr. Rabkin calls it "big time surgery". If  you or anyone else is considering it, IMO the insurance coverage and or money should not be the deciding factor in what you do.

You can always make more money and even if you self pay with one of the more expensive surgeons like I did and have complications like I did, the cost was still less than my 2008 Ford pickup truck. The truck will be worn out long before I'm finished using the DS, so I feel like I got my life back for less than the price on a pick up truck. And that is one heck of a great deal.

Kerry

tangela
on 6/24/09 11:49 am - Huntsville, AL
Thanks so much for your reply.  I will definitely take your advice and find out about all of my options.  One pleasant surprise is that I was unexpectedly able to get an appointment with my original RNY surgeon for this Friday.  Normally it takes a couple of months to get a non-emergency appointment.  He had some cancellations.  So, I should have some answers by the weekend.

Thanks so much!

Tangela

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/09 10:13 am, edited 6/11/09 10:14 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
I was part of the Restore trial which failed.  I was 186 when I had the Restore procedure and 170 after but I gained back to 235 lbs.this past winter.  I weighed 200 when I had my RNY but my highest weight was 276 lbs.  I am back at Weigh****chers and have lost about 20 lbs. I am eating about 50 gms of carbs a day and 100 gms of protein a day to avoid the intense hunger and the blood sugar crashes.  I still am always "empty" but at least I have no appetite.  I only have eaten meat and non starchy veges for 2 weeks now.  My new life now.   I lost 9 lbs at my meeting last week.  Tomorrow I weigh in again.  Daisy
Most Active