A few Questions

gigi2897
on 6/9/09 4:54 am - Deer Park, TX
Hi friends, I am new to this board but have a few questions for those of you that have been through this process.  I currently have the lapband and actually love the progress I have made but my bady is not agreeing with the port and I have been living with pain for about 4 months now.  The doctor and i have talked a bit about what i can do.  The first option is to go in and revise the port.  The problem with that is the port will be loose and will be trouble getting fills and such.  The second option is to have the band and port removed and just try to keep the weight off on my own.  This isn't really an option for me because I refuse to go back to being 350 pounds.  The third option is to revise to the gastric bypass.  This seems to be the most viable option for me.  I have an appointment on Thursday with the surgeon to talk this through so I will see what he has to say but being the impatient person that I am I figured I would come on here and find out how this works from folks that have been there.  So my first question is do you have to wait the 3 to 6 months that some doctors require for the original surgery?  Do you have to jump through all the same hoops as you did the first time?  I realize I will have to jump through insurance hoops so I am prepared for that.  I am just curious about those that have been through this so if you would be so kind as to share your experiences with me I would appreciate it.  Thanks to all!!
Ginger

brandyII
on 6/9/09 5:19 am, edited 6/9/09 5:20 am
I think it depends on your surgeon and your insurance company.   I pretty much went through everything I went through to get the band except having to go to an orientation.  Although this time I was asked by the therapist who did my psych eval to attend support group meetings before my surgery.  I've already had my band removed due to some comps last October and didn't decide to revise until about 4 or 5 months later when I realized my weight problem was a major issue for me and this time I wanted a procedure that would work which I am having on Thursday.   Good luck to you, Nancy.
gigi2897
on 6/9/09 5:32 am - Deer Park, TX
Good luck to you Nancy,  I will be praying for a safe surgery for you on thursday.  Thanks for telling me about your experience.

brandyII
on 6/9/09 6:07 am
Thanks gigi...,

I wish you luck on your decision making as I know how difficult it can be.  My daughter had her RNY a year ago and after a few minor comps she's done really well.  I'm hoping I will too as I never lost weight with the lapband.  Just make sure you find the right revision for you especially since you did do well with the lapband initially take care, Nancy.
jass28
on 6/9/09 5:27 am - A Town, NJ
Have you looked into the DS?  I too revised from the band to the DS and couldn't be happier.  Here's my recent post about reaching goal http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/3952462/At-Goal-before- and-after-photos/

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

gigi2897
on 6/9/09 5:33 am - Deer Park, TX
Thanks for sharing.  My doctor doesn't like to do that type of surgery so I haven't really thought about it.  You look great.  Hopefully I will be looking great too in just a few months. 

jass28
on 6/9/09 5:43 am - A Town, NJ
Don't let that stop you if you want the DS.  THe surgeon that did my revision wasn't my original surgeon.  A lot of surgeons don't want to do the DS because it takes longer and so it means less surgeries and less $$ in their pockets.  They can do 2 RNY in the time it takes to do one DS.  Even my surgeon told me that.  My surgeon himself told me that the band is useless and that the best surgery out there for the patient was the DS.  Do your research and if that means changing surgeons then so be it.  It is your choice and not the surgeon's choice.  If after researching all the surgeries you still feel like RNY is for you then it's good because it's your decision.  But I would do all the research before deciding.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

chatty kathy
on 6/9/09 2:22 pm - new berlin, WI
 Hi I had the Duodenol Switch about 4 years ago....I started at about 367#  and I now weigh about 365#.  So, it didn't work for me.   I lost about 90 or so pounds after 1 1/2 yrs. and then gained it all back again in another 1 1/2 yrs.  So, what is the answer?????  Who knows????  chatty kathy
JRinAZ
on 6/10/09 6:06 am - Layton, UT
On June 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM Pacific Time, chatty kathy wrote:
 Hi I had the Duodenol Switch about 4 years ago....I started at about 367#  and I now weigh about 365#.  So, it didn't work for me.   I lost about 90 or so pounds after 1 1/2 yrs. and then gained it all back again in another 1 1/2 yrs.  So, what is the answer?????  Who knows????  chatty kathy
Hey there Chatty Kathy!

What does your surgeon say?  Does he/she have follow-up care?  While the DS usually helps most people lose whether they're trying to or not.....it still absorbs simple carbs & sugars:  i.e. pasta, rice, candy, baked goods, high calorie liquids like soda, shakes & Starbucks.....

Maybe your sleeve is stretched?  DS'ers can have revisions that could include a fix of the sleeve and/or a shortening of your common channel.

Let us know what the doc thinks, K?  Did you ask your DS buds on the DS Forum?  Maybe they've got some ideas to help you out!

...wishing you the best
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

chatty kathy
on 6/10/09 6:52 pm - new berlin, WI
 Hi, Of course I asked questions, followed diet and exercise regiments,  Nothing worked for me.  My dr. is puzzled and says 90% of excess weight is lost with the DS..  and I am his first failure.  He says I should go back on an 800 calorie diet..........I just don't have the will any more. ..so first it failed me and now I have lost all interest in diets, etc and at 64, I don't think ANOTHER SURGERY is in the cards for me.  
Most Active