What do you think?

Goshdarnpeople *
on 6/9/09 2:12 am - ...did I mention it's hot here?, FL
Hello,
I got my RNY near the end of Feb 2006.  I had problems with strictures and had to get dialated twice.  July of that year, 10 days after my 2nd dialation, I had to go in for emergency surgery.  I had a ruptured internal hernia.  My appendix looked hot too, so they yanked that as well.  From what I can remember being told, the placement of the ruptured hernia made it so the connection to my small intestine for my pouch had to be redone.  After I recovered from this I never really lost, to my mind, much more of my weight.  I kinda maintained for a year and a half after that, hovering around 200lbs, but over the last year I have been creaping back up and now I'm +/-225lbs.  I'm 66" so I think that puts my BMI in range of WLS candidacy again.  I never got dumping syndrome and feel my capacity is much larger than it should be.  I begin to wonder if I might have some kind of ulceration, as I take antacids frequently.  I know my insurance covers revision, as a couple at my work have had it done.  I'm not at my 285lb high, but I'm creaping up there.  I went back to school for my degree and the freshman 15 is about the freshman 30.  Do you think I'm rediculous to be considering a revision?  I never wanted to be Twiggy but always thought that 150 would be nice on my frame, lol, my pie in the sky dream.  I have left a message at my previous surgeon's office to see if he does them, so I'm hoping to get some good information.  I figure, that's what this forum is about, so yack at me people.  Be nice, be mean, be kind, be crazy, but give me some perspective on how to help myself.  Heck, I even tried going back on Nutrisystem, and the food still stinks, lol.

Outside a dog, man's best friend is a book...
Inside a dog, man's best friend is a flashlight!!!

shele
on 6/9/09 2:46 am

Hey,

I had a revision and my stats were close to yours.  I believe having ulcers is in and of itself a reason for revision!  Read and research all your options before you make any decisions!

Good Luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/09 12:19 pm - San Diego, CA
Hi there,

I had RNY January 2002, lost 115 lbs., maintained for 5 years, and then had gained back 40+ lbs.  I had stretched my pouch AND stoma due to flagrant, irresponsible overeating and I was miserable. After extensive research, I decided to have a lap-band put over my RNY as a revision.  This was done on 5/28/09 so I don't really have any real experience to share yet, but I wanted to let you know that I totally understand how you are feeling and the sense of urgency you feel to fix it.

If your insurance covers revisions, I would see a barriactric surgeon right away and do TONS and TONS of your own research to determine what revision procedure is right for YOU.  I think all of us are a little partial and biased on here of the surgery we each have.  Just know that there are many options and only you can decide which one will bring you short and long-term success.

Good luck!!

Lorie2
on 6/10/09 12:23 pm
I had a rny in 2003 and started gaining weight this past year. I started to look into revisions. I had some tests done and my stoma (opening from the stomach to the intestines) was dialated. That is why I was gaining weight. Food would go right thru and I was hungry and could eat more.  I wanted a revision to a ds. That was the plan. When the doctor got in there my intestines was all knotted up and I had a hernia and lots of scarr tissue. He couldn't do the full ds. He did an extended rny.(erny) My common channel is 100cm. just like people who have the ds. I don't absorb all the fat and calories now. I still have a pouch and I am doing good. I've lost about 40 pounds since the end of feb. Sounds like you have a problem with the old surgery. Its worth checking out.
Lori
Most Active