Please Give Me Some Feedback

Beautywithin
on 6/6/09 12:20 pm - San Jose, CA
Here is my dilemma; I had RNY back in 2001. I lost about 120 pounds in 1 year. Since then I have gained 80 of those pounds back. I want to get a RNY revision. I’ve been searching for people who have had an RNY revision but have not come across any yet.

I’m not talking about RNY to Lap or RNY to DS. I’m talking about an RNY revision. Has anyone had this done or know of anyone that they can refer me to someone who has? I would love to hear about there experiences.

I also I will mention that I would be a self-pay and would be going to Mexico for this procedure.

Thanks

mew6495
on 6/7/09 10:46 am - MI
On June 6, 2009 at 7:20 PM Pacific Time, Beautywithin wrote:
Here is my dilemma; I had RNY back in 2001. I lost about 120 pounds in 1 year. Since then I have gained 80 of those pounds back. I want to get a RNY revision. I’ve been searching for people who have had an RNY revision but have not come across any yet.

I’m not talking about RNY to Lap or RNY to DS. I’m talking about an RNY revision. Has anyone had this done or know of anyone that they can refer me to someone who has? I would love to hear about there experiences.

I also I will mention that I would be a self-pay and would be going to Mexico for this procedure.

Thanks

What part of your RNY are you hoping to revise?  Perhaps if you are more specific on what you are looking for you may get more responses.  I know I have seen posts from others who have had their pouch made smaller again for more restriction, have went from a proximal  to distal or ERNY, have had band over bypass, have had less evasive procedures like the stomaphyx, rose, scelatherapy etc.  Although the less evasive techniques have not shown that great of success yet.

I had my original RNY (proximal) in 2001 also.  I had chose the ERNY for my revision.  This is where they give you greater malabsorption.  I went to a common channel of 75 cm.

Good luck on your search.

Beautywithin
on 6/7/09 11:59 am - San Jose, CA
I'm not sure what part is not working. Maybe you can educate me on that. I was told the surgeon will run some tests to find out what part is not working and then go from there.
mew6495
on 6/8/09 12:17 pm - MI
On June 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM Pacific Time, Beautywithin wrote:
I'm not sure what part is not working. Maybe you can educate me on that. I was told the surgeon will run some tests to find out what part is not working and then go from there.

Your surgeon will probably do an Endoscopy and an upper GI to try and determine the size of your stoma and pouch.  This may determine if there is a mechanical problem with your system in which case your insurance may cover.

With that said...the best thing you can do is some reasearch and sole searching to determine what is best for you.  Don't just take a doctors word for it that he knows what is best for you.  He will steer you in a direction that he is knowledgeable in.  This is not necessarily a bad thing but if it is not what you want or if there are better options for your situation out there then you deserve to know what they are.  There are several revisions available today thanks to technology. 

*Revison from RNY to DS.  Gives you restriction and greater malabsorption.  DS has shown to have pretty good stats to date but is one of the most risky revisions because it means the take down and reconstruct of your pouch.  There are a hand full of revision surgeons who have the skill and capability of doing this.  It is imparative that you find a excellent surgeon experienced in revisions not just a surgeon who does DS.  You may have to travel to find one.  You also need to be very compliant with your vitamins and protein.

*Band over Bypass will provide you with more restriction.  Does not provide you with greater malabsorption, if this is what you are after.

*RNY to Distal or ERNY.  Leaves your pouch alone and extends your intestinal bypass for greater malabsorption.  ERNY gives a short common channel much like the DS.  Not as risky as the DS becasue your pouch if left untouched.  You need to be very compliant with your vitamins and protein.  If this is an issue for you, you may want to go with something that does not effect malabsorption.

*Revision to Vertigo.  I am not sure exactly what this entails.  It is relatively new.  I believe Dr. Husted performs it and you could probably get more info from his site.

*Then you have the less evasive procedures like stomaphyx, Rose and Scelatherapy.  These are all meant to reduce the size of your stoma if yours has become to large.  Beware that the statistics on these procedures have not faired so well, especially for the long term.  I think they are coming out with improvements all the time but they are just not there yet.  If your doctor ends up suggesting one of these be sure to ask plenty of questions and  give it plenty of thought.

As you can see there are options.  I am sure if I have missed something or misspoke there will be someone along to offer more information.  Each revision type has their own set of side effects you will have to deal with.  You will need to decide what you are willing to live with and what fits your lifestyle the best.  I would suggest going to each specific board and asking questions to learn what they all have to offer then talk to your surgeon and decide jointly what is best for you and your cir****tances.

Good Luck to you.

ladydi1970
on 6/8/09 9:08 am - GA
Sweetie....why would you have a revision of a surgery that's already failed you?

Think about it, if you had a knee surgery, say they replaced the cushion in your knee.  And they used Brand XYZ of that cushion.  And 8 years later, the darn thing failed you.  Then you decide to self pay for another knee surgery, and had to go out of the country to do it.  The docs tell you they know that the cushion failed you, but they don't know if it leaked, if your body absorbed it or what.  But they told you they were going to do the surgery again and use the same exact Brand XYZ cushion.  But you knew there was another cushion avaliable called Brand ABC that appears to be much better.  The surgery would be a little more risky, but you would most likely have a much better outcome.  Why would you choose Brany XYZ AGAIN??

I think everyone must do what is RIGHT FOR THEM.  That's very very important!

If you have thought about this (and I'm sure you've stayed awake at night thinking about it!) I wish you well with your journey!

I knew that the RNY had failed me, I personally didn't want to do a revision, to have the POSSIBILITY of having to do it a 3rd time, because it (RNY revision) failed me again.

Please be well with whatever you choose to do, I sincerely hope it all turns out in your favor!

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

Most Active