Help ..today...meeting with Surgeon to discuss RNY revision

JRinAZ
on 6/5/09 5:44 am - Layton, UT
The normal RNY gives little malabsorbation which doesn`t last more then the initial 2 years  The body can and does adjust to that chance, and after 2+ years out, calories are no longer malabsorbed at all. That`s why so many, many people struggle with regain. "

A Generalization .  Calories are no longer malabsorbed at all?  Tell that to the Rny's who are "on program" and doing well after more than 2 years out!  ALL surgeries have some bounceback.  Get yourself to a Graduate yahoo board where many DS's are trying to lose their regain after a few years out.  Nothing is full proof without some compliance.

"The band is no help if your downfall are sweets, ice cream, cake, chocolate ect. go right through. "

Well...honestly....NO procedure can outdo that list!  Sugar is absorbed by ALL surgery types....carbs?  Same thing!

"The ERNY requires more supplements then the DS and has a greater risk of malnutrition, because the RNY pouch makes adequat nutrition through normal food more difficult. "

Actually the protocol that I follow and most ERny's follow is the same handout that is given to DS's.  I have cruised many DS surgeon's websites asking for "help" from the DS'ers who may have similar issues as mine.  Their supplement list equals or exceeds most ERny's for best long term health. 

"@ Marcia: I STRONGLY recommend you to make a consult with a revision surgeon that does ALL revisions availible."

Good advice.
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

jeanyjane
on 6/7/09 8:44 am - Germany
Statistically, weight regain is much more of a problem with the RNY then with the DS. That certainly doesn`t mean DS'ers never struggle with regain.

I agree that no procedure allows you to eat unlimited simple carbs, but with the DS and sleeve even sugery foods give at least some feeling of fullness, because the phyloric value keeps it in the stomach for some time. It has also been reported that the DS often change the taste quite dramatically so that people crave protein and veggies instead of sweets. That may happen with the RNY too, I`m not sure about it. In contrary, I`ve heard of dozends of people who ate MORE sweets and simple carbs AFTER the lapband surgery because they couldn`t eat meat or veggies without feeling very sick.

I know the DS is not an option for everyone (though if you read on the DS board, the experienced DS revision surgeons seem to be able to give a full DS to nearly everyone... and the surgeons who usually tell people that a revision to a DS is impossible or too risky are those that don`t do them) and I really hope we`ll soon have more longterm data on revisions to ERNY, band over bypass and the ROSE/stomaphyx procedures.

All the best with your revision!
JRinAZ
on 6/7/09 1:49 pm - Layton, UT
On June 7, 2009 at 3:44 PM Pacific Time, jeanyjane wrote:
Statistically, weight regain is much more of a problem with the RNY then with the DS. That certainly doesn`t mean DS'ers never struggle with regain.

I agree that no procedure allows you to eat unlimited simple carbs, but with the DS and sleeve even sugery foods give at least some feeling of fullness, because the phyloric value keeps it in the stomach for some time. It has also been reported that the DS often change the taste quite dramatically so that people crave protein and veggies instead of sweets. That may happen with the RNY too, I`m not sure about it. In contrary, I`ve heard of dozends of people who ate MORE sweets and simple carbs AFTER the lapband surgery because they couldn`t eat meat or veggies without feeling very sick.

I know the DS is not an option for everyone (though if you read on the DS board, the experienced DS revision surgeons seem to be able to give a full DS to nearly everyone... and the surgeons who usually tell people that a revision to a DS is impossible or too risky are those that don`t do them) and I really hope we`ll soon have more longterm data on revisions to ERNY, band over bypass and the ROSE/stomaphyx procedures.

All the best with your revision!

Jeanyjane,
I think you'll note a few times in my postings on this site where I have said that "I would have had the DS if possible".  That's the crowd I'm speaking to....the ones  who, like me,  can't have the DS!  .....  I'm also trying to point out that there are several versions of the Rny and that not all stats reflect the results or projected outcome of all Rny's.  I suspect most stats include those who are proximal and not medial, distal or extended?  ......  I just spent a great weekend hearing from Vitalady and vitaguy.  They are both over 15 years post-op from having Distals or ERny's and are still at goal weight!!!  While they are certainly unique in many ways, (love them!), they said they represent many distals *****main in their goal range after many years post-op.

All the best with your revision as well! 

Joyce 

Just Valena
on 6/5/09 3:54 am - Nunyabizness
Wow, that surgeon sounds like a chump!!!! Lose weight by diet...yeah, none of us have ever tried THAT before. Keep in mind that what you had 25 years ago was NOT RNY...so much has changed in terms of weight loss surgery since then!!! Hopefully your insurance will approve you and you will be on your way!!! Don't be afraid to be honest with the doc. After all, we are all human.
marcia7749
on 6/5/09 3:58 am
Valena,

Thanks for the positive thoughts......

Things went well with this surgeon the I met with yesterday......now to have the scope on Monday and see what my pouch looks like......then will see what we can do......

Excited that I don't have to wait forever to have the scope....certainly can't complain about how fast they scheduled this appt.

Will keep you posted....

Thanks again,

Marcia
jeanyjane
on 6/5/09 4:22 am - Germany
May I ask who your surgeon is? There are actually very, VERY few *****ally do RNY to DS revisions. However, there are many surgeons who tell their patients that they do all surgery types incl. the DS while in reality, they don`t do the DS at all or not as revision surgery, and then they will talk you into something else without giving you unbiased advice. That`s called "bait and don`t switch" tactic and happens again and again. Be aware. You can easily find out if your doc really does RNY to DS revisions if you ask at the DS board. Unfortunately, many docs don`t meet the high ethical expectations most people have.
marcia7749
on 6/5/09 6:58 am
My surgeon is Sayeed Ikrammadin , Minneapolis, Minnesota......University of Minnesota

He seems to be very experienced and is listed on the DS list of physicians.( I think)  I know he is listed somewhere that he does DS....

I have been so many places and websites.....don't know if I am coming or going right now....lol

Thanks so much for the info....

Marcia
JRinAZ
on 6/5/09 8:22 am - Layton, UT
It's a tough decision to make.  Kudos to you for your research! 

I started researching revisions 2 years before I had mine done.  "If" I didn't have medical issues, scar tissue, etc....or in other words....if it were possible, I would have had a DS!!!!  So, if I were say ...more than 100 lbs overweight, never did reach my goal weight the first time,  regained most of my loss, was in decent health, had some insurance give a nod AND an experienced revision surgeon agreed to do a revision to DS....that would be my direction!

But....if all the stars don't line up in your favor......consider an Extended Rny!  There are oodles of successful Revision post-ops who can eat all day long (as long as it's healthy/low carb) and lose lose lose!.....band over Rny?  Well...honestly, not as many celebrating over those results but there are definitely some winners.....Redo what you already have?  Nah!  You'll probably be back here in a few years checking out options again.

But that's just "my opinion"! 

You'll find your way!  Good luck!
Joyce 

marcia7749
on 6/7/09 12:01 am
Joyce,

Thank you for all of your information....I love reading your very helpful posts !!!

I will know after tomorrow....hopefully......which way the surgeon wants to go....if any....

Having upper endoscopy tomorrow.....

Thank You ,

Marcia
jeanyjane
on 6/5/09 7:52 am - Germany
Congrats, I think he really does the DS. I havn`t heard his name listed among the experienced RNY to DS revision surgeons, though. Be sure to ask lots of questions!

All the best, J.
Most Active