Help ..today...meeting with Surgeon to discuss RNY revision

marcia7749
on 6/3/09 9:24 pm
Hi all,
     Sent my Upper Gi and surgery notes from my 25 yr old RNY to a surgeon last week.  He said all was intact and to lost weight by diet.
     Today, I am meeting with another surgeon....after seeing his 2 hr seminar on WLS....and will tell him why I want a revision.
     I have gained back 100 lbs over 25 yrs....from bad eating habits I know....but nevertheless....I have gained it back.  I do not dump from sweets, never have.  My pouch started out at 60 cm and my bypass was 50 cm.....According to the surgeon above...it has not changed much.  (I don't personally believe that...but whatever)

Does anyone have any quick morning advice for me before meeting with this other surgeon?

I need to tell him what I eat.....do I tell him about the cookie and carb monster that I am?

Help!,,

Marcia
Kerry J.
on 6/3/09 9:42 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Marcia,

I think you need the DS. I got a revision from the gastric bypass I had in 1980 and it's great. I've lost 83 pounds so far; I eat like a normal person and I can take Ibuprofen, which is a big deal as we age IMO. You can read all the details of what I've been through on my profile if you want to.

That being said, you're going to have to get off the carbs; even with the DS, you have to limit carbs. However, it's not such a big deal because you can eat all the fats and proteins you want; foods like bacon, BBQ ribs. butter, full fat salad dressings etc. are all good DS foods. 

Kerry
marcia7749
on 6/3/09 9:49 pm
Thanks Kerry,

I really appreciate your response.

I guess need to be honest with the surgeon, do you think that he will agree to do a revision knowing my bad eating habits.?

I realize that the carb eating and overeating has to stop....

Will a revision give me the power to do this?

Everything is so worrisome.  If I had the willpower to control my eating, I wouldn't be in the position that I am in.

I try to think back 25 yrs......when I only could eat a small amount of food and had to be so careful to chew everything.  I honestly don't remember even thinking about sweets back then.  I just wasn't really hungry.

I will see what this surgeon says.....then may contact a DS surgeon in Ohio and see what he says too.....

Thank you so much....appreciate any and all input from anyone!!

Thank you,

Marcia

Kerry J.
on 6/3/09 10:15 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Marcia,

Your RNY gave you restriction which made it impossible to eat much, it didn't give you any malabsorbsion. You just gradually found a way to eat around the restriction.

The DS has some restriction, but not as much as RNY so you can eat more, you also get you're pylorus back so you don't have to chew your food to mush and you don't dump. The DS also has malabsorbsion so that you only absorb 20% of the fats you eat, 60% of the protein and 60-70% of complex carbs. You do absorb 100% of simple carbs/sugars so you have to stay away from them.

There are two things you have to do with DS, #1 stay away from simple carbs and #2 get blood drawn to see how your levels of Iron, Calcium, vitamins A, E, K & D are and then take the appropriate supplements. If you can't commit to these things, don't bother getting a revision to DS or anything else as you will not be successful.

WLS is not a free ride to the cookie and sugar line, it's a tool you use to get healthy and thin. Of all the tools, the DS is the most powerful.

Kerry
marcia7749
on 6/3/09 10:50 pm
Kerry,

WLS is not a free ride to the cookie and sugar line.....Powerful News.....and exactly what I need to hear.

Thank You!

Time for some real work on my part.  Need to really analyze things and eliminate the bad carbs and see if I can be determined enough to do this.....

You are right......

Thank you so much....

Marcia
JRinAZ
on 6/4/09 8:54 am - Layton, UT
On June 4, 2009 at 5:15 AM Pacific Time, Kerry J. wrote:
Marcia,

Your RNY gave you restriction which made it impossible to eat much, it didn't give you any malabsorbsion. You just gradually found a way to eat around the restriction.

The DS has some restriction, but not as much as RNY so you can eat more, you also get you're pylorus back so you don't have to chew your food to mush and you don't dump. The DS also has malabsorbsion so that you only absorb 20% of the fats you eat, 60% of the protein and 60-70% of complex carbs. You do absorb 100% of simple carbs/sugars so you have to stay away from them.

There are two things you have to do with DS, #1 stay away from simple carbs and #2 get blood drawn to see how your levels of Iron, Calcium, vitamins A, E, K & D are and then take the appropriate supplements. If you can't commit to these things, don't bother getting a revision to DS or anything else as you will not be successful.

WLS is not a free ride to the cookie and sugar line, it's a tool you use to get healthy and thin. Of all the tools, the DS is the most powerful.

Kerry
Hiya Kerry!
Congratulations on your Revision success.  I've been watching this forum with a sigh these past few days.  I thought I was on the DS  forum accidentally for a second :-)

Though you are totally on target with the celebration of your success,  I think the info you are sharing about the Rny (though you liberally use "IMO") is skewed.  Your Rny was done several years ago as you readily admit and there have been changes over that time with not only the Rny but with the DS as well!  Thank Heavens for medical evolution! 

You've said that an Rny does not have malabsorption but just restriction.  The Rny does indeed have malabsorption and depending on the type of Rny it might have even MORE malabsorption than a DS! 

Not all people may do well with the extreme risk of an Rny to DS just to be able to take ibuprofin and eat more food.  You admit that you were very lucky and that it was challenging to find a surgeon willing to take on your risky case.

I totally think the DS rocks as one of the best surgeries but the other weight loss options are great for others in their unique medical and financial cir****tances.  Promoting one type is awesome but to diss another type with innacurate info is doing a diservice to those who are coming to this site to research EVERY option.

Take care and enjoy your new healthy YOU!  Tell Janie hello!  ....  I may be passing through your direction in August!  HOT!  Right?

Hugggzzz,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

marcia7749
on 6/4/09 10:22 am
Hi All,

Well, I went to the informational seminar....actually given by the surgeon himself, his co-ordinator, and his dietician.

Very, very interesting.  Even though I have been researching for about a year and reading everything I can get my hands on....hoping for a quick and easy miracle.....I was not aware of everything that I learned today.

I also met with the surgeon privately.  He looked over an upper endoscopy of mine from 4 years ago and said that my pouch was quite large and my stoma was totally open from side to side.

His first thought was an RNY revision giving me more malabsorption and a smaller pouch and making my stoma smaller....

Then, I told him about having a history of getting gallstones in my bile ducts.....(have no gall bladder).....

Then he changed his thoughts......thinks the Band would be much safer for me and might do me just fine......

So....he scheduled me to have an upper endoscopy by him personally on Monday.....and then he will re-evaluate the situation.....and we will talk more about my options.

Regardless....it looks like I need to lose weight....and follow his diet for 6 months.....first.....ugh!!

Not sure about the 6 months.....

So.....thanks for the tips and advice.....

Everyone have a wonderful night!!

Marcia
Kerry J.
on 6/4/09 1:14 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Hiya Kerry!
Congratulations on your Revision success.  I've been watching this forum with a sigh these past few days.  I thought I was on the DS  forum accidentally for a second :-)

Hiya Joyce,

As I understand it, this is the WLS Revisions Forum and since I am a revision, I assumed I should post about my experiences. When I came here looking for answers a year ago, there were none to be found and thank goodness someone invited me to visit the DS Forum as before the invitation, I had never heard of the DS.

Though you are totally on target with the celebration of your success,  I think the info you are sharing about the Rny (though you liberally use "IMO") is skewed.  Your Rny was done several years ago as you readily admit and there have been changes over that time with not only the Rny but with the DS as well!  Thank Heavens for medical evolution!

What information is skewed? RNY causes dumping, food sticks in your stoma if you don't chew to mush, rice and meat are both very difficult foods for a RNY patient to eat, you have a blind stomach that's prone to develop ulcers, which cannot be scoped and is only accessible with surgery and you cannot take any NSAID. You're also at risk for B12 deficiency and most likely need B12 injections for the rest of your life and unless you have a Distal RNY, you don't have enough malabsorbsion to really help you lose weigh.

Which part of my description of RNY is skewed?

As far as I can tell, the only difference in a "Modern" RNY and my stomach stapling job I had is that the "Modern RNY" completely separates the "pouch" from the rest of the stomach leaving it just sort of floating in your abdomen. All the problems I had are still there with the exception of the possibility of the staple line breaking down. If I'm mistaken, please correct me as I want to know an understand RNY as completely as possible. 

You've said that an Rny does not have malabsorption but just restriction.  The Rny does indeed have malabsorption and depending on the type of Rny it might have even MORE malabsorption than a DS!

That could be true, but the amount of malabsorbsion depends on the common channel and alimentary limb length. There's also the issue of the duodenum, where it's bypassed with RNY and used with the DS and is why RNY needs B12 injections while DS does not. I have a 125 cc common channel and a 175 cm alimentary limb. Most RNY's bypass about 100 cm of the small bowel while my DS completely bypasses 430 cm of small bowel, uses only 175 as the alimentary limb and 125 cm of common channel. This is why I absorb only 20% of the fats, 60% of the protein and 70% of the complex carbs I eat; I do absorb 100% of the simple carbs or sugar. How does that compare with your RNY?

Not all people may do well with the extreme risk of an Rny to DS just to be able to take ibuprofin and eat more food.  You admit that you were very lucky and that it was challenging to find a surgeon willing to take on your risky case.

I don't think it's accurate to say that a revision from RNY to DS is an extreme risk, that type of revision is done every day and while it requires a skilled surgeon I would not classify it as an extreme risk. My case was a little different, I had a very old bypass with a big staple line disruption and I had a lot of scar tissue in my stomach from where the staples tore my stomach and I almost bled out. This was 27 years prior to my revision and the amount of scar tissue and adhesions I had was extreme; I was on the OR table for 8 1/2 hours. And yes I was lucky in that I chose wisely and IMO few surgeons other than Dr. Rabkin would have been persistent enough to get through all the scar tissue and adhesions to give me a full DS. Your surgeon tried to talk me out of a DS revision and quite frankly I found him to be full of BS.

As far as what you gain with the DS, I suggest you read the peer reviewed papers comparing RNY with DS for long term success in keeping excess weight off. Here's the link if you really want to know what the differences are: http://www.dsfacts.com/articles.html It's much more than being able to eat more and take Ibuprofen, although those are two very nice features.

I totally think the DS rocks as one of the best surgeries but the other weight loss options are great for others in their unique medical and financial cir****tances.  Promoting one type is awesome but to diss another type with innacurate info is doing a diservice to those who are coming to this site to research EVERY option.

Perhaps, but I can only give my honest opinions and real life experiences and try to share with people who are like I was a year ago searching for an answer that did not appear to exist. I found my answer in the DS and life is great because I found it. I really feel like it's my responsibility to share what I've found with other people and that's what I intend to do. 

If there's really anything I've said that's not accurate, I want to know what it is so I can be as accurate as possible. But from what I've read and know, it's all accurate.

Take care and enjoy your new healthy YOU!  Tell Janie hello!  ....  I may be passing through your direction in August!  HOT!  Right?

I will be sure and give Janie your best when I see her. And yes it is usually HOT here in August, but not as hot as it is in Phoenix...

Best regards,
Kerry

JRinAZ
on 6/4/09 2:21 pm - Layton, UT
Yikes!  You schooled me!

You said, "If there's really anything I've said that's not accurate, I want to know what it is so I can be as accurate as possible."

You qualified it in your own answer Kerry.  The Distal AND Extended Rny have malabsorption and quite possibly more than a DS.  I won't get into a measurement competition because that's not what it's about.  The bottom line is that you insinuate that all Rny's have little more to their tool than restriction,  that they MUST chew their food to mush, can't tolerate meat?  What?  Is that what your DSfacts site say?  I facilitate 4 support groups and attend about 10 others in one month.  That's just not the case.  We are ENCOURAGED to chew well.  We are ENCOURAGED to eat lean dense meat!  Some people sign up for an Rny just for the dumping.  We want immediate consequences for  bad actions.  The Rny is a tool that helps one learn to chew well, eat smaller portions and choose foods wisely.  What's wrong with that? 

At no point did I dis your DS or anyone elses.  On the contrary.  I think it's a fabulous surgery and I agree that a surgeon should be very skilled to not only do a Revision to DS but to do a virigin one as well.  I didn't diss your surgeon, nor did I champion mine.  I got the surgery I did because of my own medical cir****tances.  That was my point as well.......that a revision "IS" risky and perhaps everyone can't go to your surgeon so they may not be able to consider a DS.  There are other very good options.  Some people would have us assume that because a surgeon suggests something other than a DS that they fall immediately into the "scammer or stupid" category.  Wow!  Really?  There are millions of surgeons that we shouldn't trust then?  Who decides who should be on the  "list"?  Are other DS'ers treated badly if they have a DS from someone who isn't on the list?

You can go on and on about your experience all you want.  I do as well, though we both have different paths. We both deserve to share our stories here on the Revision board.  We shouldn't have to defend our success or choice though, right?   How delightful that we can both find better health, right?  How nice if just one person can find answers from either of us!  How nice that you can send people to a DS forum for more info!  Really, I think it would be nice if I could sign off with "go to the eRNY site for more info".  But, oh well......people just assume that all Rny's are created equal....NOT!

My point is that while educating, we should just make sure we give correct info........The DS folks asked the same of me and others and I have tried to respect that request.  Opinions shouldn't be mixed with facts.

BTW, very few Rny's dump outside of their initial 1st year.  B12 injections are uncommon as well.  I have taken a sublingual B12 for 6  1/2 years and have kept my B12 well above U.S. standards.  ($5.00 for 2 months at Trader Joe's)  Painting the picture that we are suffering, struggling to stay healthy, etc. is just not accurate. As you pointed out, the DS'ers have to keep up with their calcium, iron, ADEK1 & K2, D, zinc, copper, etc.  ..... I"m sorry you had such a bad experience but perhaps your experience is not the Rny standard?  After all, we wouldn't be hanging on the Revision board if our surgeries were perfect......There are definitely extremes with all of them, right?  I'll admit that my life is very high maintenance and I have had a longer than normal post-op recovery, but that's just because my common channel was shortened.  That's the one piece we have in common :-)

Now I'm below goal, at the gym regularly, living a passionate life and healthier than I have been in years.  I'll bet your outcome is similar!  Congrats to both of us!

Take care,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Kerry J.
on 6/7/09 7:04 am - Santa Clara, UT
 HI Joyce,

Sorry to take so long to respond, I've been a bit busy and I also wanted to think more about what you were saying.

The dumping and chewing comments are not from anything other than my own experience, but you're the first RNY that's told me they don't dump and don't have to chew some meats to mush to keep them from sticking. I'm not saying you're wrong about it, just that my experience doesn't jive with what you're saying.

As to dissing your surgeon, well, all I have to go from is my experience with him and it was pretty bad. He flat out lied to me about what a post op DS would be like, he told me all the myths I had already heard and already knew were not true. If he had bothered to read any of the peer reviewed papers written on the subject, he would have known better. Or worse yet, if he had read them and then chose to lie about it, that would be even worse.

I'm sorry Joyce, but I have no respect for Dr. Schlesinger. I actually corresponded with or spoke to 5 surgeons about my revision; Dr's. Ungson, Anthone, Husted, Schlesinger and Rabkin. Only Schlesinger tried to talk me out of the DS, he's also the only one that told me the lie horror stories about crapping my pants because of the DS, the horrid gas from DS etc. The list of lies and distortions he told me was impressive and more than a little disgusting to me. However, I can see how someone less knowledgeable about the actual effects of DS post op would be scared to have the DS after taking to him.

The other surgeons all told me what they thought; for example Ungson said he thought a revision to DS would be too dangerous so we would not recommend it and would prefer to revise me to RNY. Anthone also said that he thought doing a revision to DS would be risky, but that he would give it a try, but he couldn't guarantee I would end up with the DS. Husted and Rabkin both thought I could get the full DS and that it would be a little more dangerous but nothing they couldn't deal with. I felt more comfortable with Rabkin and Husted was in the middle of moving anyway, so I went with Rabkin.

My intent was not to diss what anyone chooses to do, or who one chooses to do their surgery, but I do want pre-ops to know what their choices are and what they can really expect post op. I have relied on my own experiences and what I've read and if I'm wrong or inaccurate I really would like to know about it. If your experiences are different, lets hear about them, if you know of papers that have been written that indicate something different than my experiences I want to know about them.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended you, that was never my intent, I just want people to get all the information possible before they get any WLS.

Kerry
Most Active