Question RNY wanting revision

sosoclark
on 6/3/09 6:00 am - Sacramento, CA

Hi all ,

I haven't been on this sight in quite some time as i have watched other reach their goal at record breaking speed and I just kinda moved at a snails pace. I am thinking about a revision but have no idea how to start the ball rolling. I am 3 years out and still have 145 pounds to lose. I have lost 150 and kept it off but  nothing seems to be working. I currently live in California and have Blue Shield as my insurance provider.

Thanks
Sophia

KRWaters
on 6/3/09 6:09 am - Manteca, CA
Your best bet, I think, is go to your PCP and have them refer you to a revision doc. There are several in California and see what that surgeon has to say and then jump through the hoops if they say you are a candidate for a revision. You will most likely have to travel to a revision surgeon. I live in California (Manteca), and had to drive 3 hours to Dr. Keshishian to get my revision to a DS. It took me a couple of years to save the program fee, but I had it done 2 weeks ago and am so excited that I finally was able to get my DS. Best of luck. Check out the DS websites to see the lists of surgeons who you could go to. Many travel far and wide to get to the DS surgeon they decided upon.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

sosoclark
on 6/3/09 6:19 am - Sacramento, CA
I'm a little scared but my health mean more. I notice that my doctor that did my orginal surgery does revisions. I was thinking about going back to her.

KRWaters
on 6/3/09 6:21 am - Manteca, CA
1. Who is this "her" doctor who does revisions? I don't know of a "her", only "he", LOL.
2. What do you want a revision to? That could qualify "her" or not.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

sosoclark
on 6/3/09 6:29 am - Sacramento, CA
LOL!! Sorry her name is Dr. Laura Macado and she did my original RNY surgery. I am thinking about the DS and she has that listed on her website I just don’t know if my insurance will approve another surgery. I am still at the range and can qualify but just don’t know what to do.  
KRWaters
on 6/3/09 6:36 am - Manteca, CA
I am pretty certain, but could be wrong, that Dr. Machado does NOT do revisions to DS. No one else on the DS board has ever used her for a revision and we have had a few from the Sac area who had to travel further south for their DS or to theSF area. Check out www.dsfacts.com and/or www.duodenalswitch.com for an accurate list of up-to-date surgeons who do revisions. Drs. Cirangle, Jossart in SF, Dr. John Rabkin in SF, Dr. Ara Keshishian in Delano, CA, or Dr. Crookes in USC.  I think those are the ones who do revisions. Dr. Machado is not one of them. Maybe she does a revision to something else?

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

sosoclark
on 6/3/09 7:03 am - Sacramento, CA
Thank you for your help. Did it take you a long time to get approved? 
(deactivated member)
on 6/3/09 9:56 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
Hi Sophia
I am a WLS failure too.  There are 3 parts to a RNY that can go wrong as far as I know.  The pouch can be too big,  the stoma can be too big and the bypass can be too short.  I have all 3 parts not correct for me.  An endoscopy can tell you the size of the pouch and stoma.  I think a GI series can tell you how long a bypass is...not really sure about that.  Do you have a bariatric surgeon that you can go to or a gastrenterologist you can go to?  How do you know what to fix if you don't know what is broken?  Pax et bonum, Daisy
sosoclark
on 6/4/09 5:03 am - Sacramento, CA

Hi Dasiy,

I havent really checked as of yet but will look into get a GI series done. The bottom line for me is it isn't working. I work out about 60 to 90 min 5 days a week an still not losing. Something needs to be done.

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/09 5:32 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
I know but if they fix the wrong part it won't help you.  I think any good bariatric revision surgeon will check out all three parts.  I swim 40 lengths every day.  Last summer I rode my bike 8 miles every morning, swam every afternoon and walked 3 miles some days.  I still didn't lose weight.  I kept stalling out.  I don't know what to do other than the carb fasting because I don't have a doctor.  good luck to you.  Daisy
Most Active