Met with Surgeon last Friday...not good

ellton
on 6/1/09 9:59 am

Hello everyone.  I met with a surgeon here in Houston on Friday.   We reviewed my EGD and UGI results.  He informed me that in his opinion I am not a candidate for surgical intervention. 

He stated that my pouch is 4 cm in length and very small.  My stoma is also intact.  He informed me that my RNY is intact and that there are no surgical options to make the RNY effective.  He suggested that I see a nutrionist and lose my 80 pounds the old fashion way.  I then asked him about the ERNY and he informed me that in his opinion the ERNY is extreme and should only be considered for folks who are 150+ pounds overweight.  I was upset but took the weekend to figure out my next steps.

Right now I weigh 220 pounds.  I want to get to 140.  That's 80 pounds.  I'm am going to seek another opinion.

Bummer but I'm going to keep trucking away.  I did make an appointment to see his Nutritionist.

Tonya

ALABAMA
on 6/1/09 8:54 pm - STONE MOUNTAIN, GA
Tonya, you might have to travel out of your state to find a doctor that is willing to do a revision.  I live in Georgia and I will be traveling to Ky.  I also was approved to have surgery in NJ.  Now with the testing UGI,EGD , results If you have stopped loosing weight or you did not reach goal weight ? I would think that alone would  get you an approval.  The trick is to fine a doctor that is willing to revised your surgery.   I'm sure if you stopped loosing weight there is something going on inside with your measurements of the past surgery just like mine.  Not measure to standard means failure.

Glenda
Zee Starrlite
on 6/2/09 5:10 am, edited 6/2/09 5:10 am
Sounds like you should really consider eating less and exercising more if you tool is intact. 

Hey it is great news that you don't need to have additional surgery.

Good Luck,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

malia26
on 6/18/09 3:30 am - WI
That IS good news that your pouch looks good and isn't overly stretched.  Gotta sorta agree with Leila...what are you eating? Are you exercising?  The nutritionist should be able to help you get back on track.
I don't mean to sound negative....just giving some tough love.  I know how frustrating it can be to not be losing.  I'm gaining now after losing my band 7 months ago and it's very hard for me to deal with.  Trying to eat right and exercise isn't always easy but we also have to "use our tools".  One post you said the RNY isn't working....but it's not going to work on its own.  You need to work it too.

169 155   
current/goal 

High: 281, Band removed:180,
Sleeved: 215

KRWaters
on 6/3/09 6:19 am - Manteca, CA
I don't know what surgeon you met with, but it is pretty likely he does not do the DS and so is trying to talk you out of any revision. Check out www.dsfacts.com and/or www.duodenalswitch.com and find all the surgeons in the US and out of the country who do revisions to DS. There are a few in California and that is not too, too far from Texas.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

ellton
on 6/3/09 7:39 am

Yes.  I'm researching now.  It seems to me that since the RNY is in tact and Iive gained weight then its not working.

T

KRWaters
on 6/4/09 12:23 am - Manteca, CA
Again, go see a DS surgeon and he/she will tell you if you even qualify and then start the ball rolling. I don't know if Dr. Stewart does revisions in Denton?

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/18/09 7:29 am - OH
I don;t mean to sound harsh, but you didn't asnwer the question about what you are eating and if you are exercising...  There are LOTS of ways your own habits can circumvent the surgery!  And that means ANY gastuic bypass surgery...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active