Is the pain of a revision surgery greater than Original (RNY)

KyleBeth
on 5/28/09 10:16 am - Erie, PA
I have two friends have revision's due to ulcers in the past 3 months and they have told me that the pain is absolutely unreal with the revision.

I will be having a revision in July/August and I have a 1 year old and work 50 hours a week... i'm just wondering how much time i'm going to need to take off of work and how long I will need someone with me to help care for my son.

Thanks in advance for your experiences.
Lilypie - (b6LK)      Lilypie - (evIs)
Princess_Mommy
on 5/28/09 10:48 am - Vernon Hills, IL

My revision was done just over a week ago.  RNY was supposed to be converted to DS, but complications caused him to simply correct the RNY - so it's like new.
My thoughts on the pain are, it must be less than the first time because I was beging to be let out of bed the evening of surgery.  They couldn't keep me in bed, or even in my room during the stay in the hospital (I was taking 6 to 8 walks a day).  That being said, the pain was definately there.  Just easier to handle.  Now I'm home.  My daughter is 8, so I haven't needed any help with her, other than transportation to a few activities.  I'm allowed to drive as long as I'm not taking narcotic pain medication.  I am on my third day of narcotics only at night, so I have started driving - short distances. 

You are going to need more help with your son, for at least four to six weeks, because you won't be allowed to lift or hold him. Any abdominal surgery requires that long before you can lift more than 10 pounds.  You don't want to risk a hernia or re-open the incision.
Good luck! 

KRWaters
on 6/3/09 6:32 am - Manteca, CA
Oh I am so sorry Princess that you did not get a full DS. What happened? I am sure you can make the best of it.  Just get rid of the "weight monster".

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

rebeccaford
on 5/28/09 2:37 pm - Honolulu, HI
It took me a big longer than I would have hoped to recovery from this one.  Although mine was open (both times) I'm also 6 years older, too :-)  I went back to work (I'm a 60-70hr week work-a-holic) on the 3rd week 1/2 days and 4th week 1/2-3/4 then on the 5th week full time.  I had WAY MORE nausea with this surgery.  The fatigue part was the worst though. 

I don't have kids so I can't help you with that. 

Good luck!
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

shele
on 5/29/09 3:06 am

Hi, I had my rny lap, and my revision was open.  The actual pain after surgery was def worse with the lap rny, I had muscle spasms in the incision. I told the nurses, and all they would say was  that I shouldn't be having that much pain.  When the doc finally came in, he took care of it in short order! Fast forward almost 5 years... not much pain after surgery. I started having the muscle spasms and told them about the last time and they gave me something right away! SOOO with all that ... the recovery time was shorter with the lap rny.  BUT I also had some minor complications( 2 blood transfusions, wayy to low potassium after sugery) And my insision opened 3 times after I was home.  It has taken me a good 7 weeks to get completely over this one. I am still only allowed to lift 20 lbs, and I will be 10 weeks out this monday!

Just plan for the worst, and hope for the best! Then you will be covered!

Good Luck!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

rebeccaford
on 5/31/09 2:44 am - Honolulu, HI
Oh yeah!!  I totally forgot about the spams in my belly after surgery.  Those were the worst.  But see??  It's already gone from my mind.  If you do get those spams, I found that not laying down in bed kept them at bay.  They didn't have a chair for me, so I commandered (sp?) a wheel chair and hung out in that for several hours a day. 

Okay, I'll stop reminiscing about my hospital stay :-)
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

smileyjamie72
on 5/29/09 3:58 am - Palmer, AK
What are you planning on revising to?  I am looking into a revision from RNY to DS, myself.

The advice from the other ladies is great advice, about needing help, when to go back to work 1/2 days, and especially the "weight-lifting" portion.

p.s.  My son Hunter just turned 3 a week ago, time sure flies!!!!  The post-op pregnancy board was THE MOST AWSOME!!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Tammy M
on 5/29/09 4:15 am - Somers, CT
Hey there Kyle Beth!! I'm going for a revision from band to RNY and will do so sometime in the fall most likely - boy it will be hard to have that done with a one year old I'm sure!

Good luck to you with your revison!

How's your little guy doing?

Sarah is doing great - she's talking up a storm - doesn't have any interest in walking yet and LOVES to eat anything!

Good to see you!
Warm Regards - Tammy -
Lilypie - (dOEW)preview image

KyleBeth
on 5/29/09 1:05 pm - Erie, PA
Hey Tammy!!! I've thought about you several times wondering how you are doing!

Zachary started walking a week or so ago... he like has no interest in eating lol or saying much of anything (that makes sense) lol.

I went for my Revision appointment today- I'm having a revision of my RNY on September 3rd. My first surgery was done incorrectly and I don't really have a stomach--evrything goes straight through to my intestines. Greeeeeeat! At least I know i'm not a complete failure. :)

Good luck with you revision as well!! I'm glad to hear Sarah is doing well :)
Lilypie - (b6LK)      Lilypie - (evIs)
toninj
on 5/30/09 1:45 pm - piscataway, NJ
Hey Kyle Beth. I just had my revision on Wednesday and was back to work on Friday. 

If you have a job where you sit all day, you shouldn't have a problem.  Just make sure you have your pain pills on hand at all times. 

Revision on 05/27/09

Most Active