RNY or DS??? Please give me your opinion

micheleshelly
on 5/31/09 3:45 am - Yelm, WA
Congrats on being near your goal.
Again, thinks for the insight.
Michele
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/29/09 7:24 am
I agree with smiley about going out of the country. I was concerned at first, feeling like I wouldn't have the support of our legal system, and I'd be in third world hut with goats in the waiting room.

I had a top surgeon that teaches others in multiple counties, was in a hospital with an infection rate far lower than US hospitals, and a much higher staff/patient ratio. With research, you can get the worlds top surgeons and hospitals and important accreditation's, for a great price.
mrdoores
on 5/29/09 11:37 am - Waldorf, MD
Hi,
I had RNY in 2000.  I lost 137 lbs. and haver been gaining since 2 years out.  I have now regained 72 lbs and am seeking a revision.  I saw my Dr last week, waiting to get an UGI and blood work and of course insurance approval.  He spoke of distal and repairing the pouch if needed. the Dr. said I should loose another 100 lbs.  I also have a hernia that needs repair.  I really wish I had known about the DS in 2000.  From every thing I have read, it has the best weight loss and no or not much regain.   Good Luck in which ever you choose, because really only you can decide.  Do your research, as I didn't have a computer and everyone I talked to back then had had the RNY. 

Kerry J.
on 5/29/09 11:56 am - Santa Clara, UT
 Well I had RNY for 28 years and IMO, it was the pits. I got a revision to DS last September and IMO the DS is GREAT! That being said you really need to do your own research and decide how you want to live the rest of your life; for me the DS life is superior in every way to RNY life; but that's me. Go to www.dsfacts.com and www.duodenealswitch.com and read everything there.

Think, study and research so you only cut once.

Kerry
kitkat24
on 6/4/09 11:37 pm

Hi Tracie Jo,

My opinion:  Go with the Duodenal Switch surgery.  There are many many studies that indicate that the DS is much more effective in cure rates for diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and long term weight loss.  There is ONE THING AND ONE THING ONLY that the RNY is "better" for, and that is GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease).  This was last on my list of things to "cure".  I first wanted my obesity cured/fixed. 

And Eureka...   Dr. B repaired my hiatal hernia during my DS surgery, and I have not had reflux in 4 months.

I wanted the best option for my long-term weight loss and health.  I read on forums about RNYers that gained weight and were looking for revision to the DS.  I wanted the surgery initially that people revised to.  And, I got it. 

Spend time in the DS forums. 

Good luck.

Kathy

Body by God; alterations by Buchwald.  I love Jesus.  I so so so appreciate my DS.

katydidit64
on 6/7/09 3:18 am - north port, FL
Hi just thought I would put my 2 cents in!!!

I had Proximal RNY 3 yrs ago and have (by the grace of GOD) managed to maintain my weight loss... However I must say that the main reason I had surgery was to resolve my Diabetes and that just didn't happen..  I wish I would have gone with my first instincts to have the DS instead of going with the money (Ins.)  and having the RNY.  The resolution of co-morbitites is much better and diabetes affects so many different areas of the body, especially the heart not to mention the brain!  The DS does have more malabsorption but as a previous poster pointed out the the RNY quits working when you need it most.... So I vote for the DS and if I ever start to regain I immediately am going to start working on getting the extension done and the unused pouch removed!
Rockne
on 6/7/09 11:51 am - South Orange County, CA
Well, lets see... I had a BMI just north of 51. Spent most of my life failing with DIETS, so, I'm going to risk my life having weight loss surgery to have to do what? MORE DIETING FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE with the bedeviled RNY or other WLS interventions??? PLEASE!!!

Homey says... "I don't think so!!!"

But it gets better...

http://tinyurl.com/24t7d3

BMI's 50 and over having had the RNY lose lots of weight initially, but longer term, 40 % those will FAIL by regaining more than 50% of their excess weight loss back! Regain failures with the DS are virtually unheard of. Even for those RNYs having BMI's under 50 have failure rates approaching 33% longer term. RNY a Gold Standard??

Homey says... "I don't think so!!!"

I get in my protein, supplements, fluids and the rest is gravy, often literally. I eat everything I want when I want or feel the need. Dieting is only part of my vocabulary because most of the world, including other WLS types seem to be STUCK with them. Me? Homey says... "I don't think so!!!"

Rock
------
For whom failure was not an option.

The lovely enchanting DS Post-OP might address some some of your questions as well.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/hayley_hayley/

_____ Hayley_Hayley,

RNY - I got the surgery so I'd dump and the fear of that would keep me away from sugar.
DS - I got the surgery so that I wouldn't dump.

RNY - I needed the restriction to correct my relationship with food.
DS - I didn't want the restriction because I want to enjoy my relationship with food.

RNY - I wanted/needed to change my eating habits.
DS - I've dieted my whole life -- I want to quit dieting.

RNY - I'm sick of dieting and failing.
DS - I'm sick of dieting and failing.

RNY - I want a tool that I can work.
DS - I want a surgery that does the work.

RNY - I didn't want to be able to cheat the surgery.
DS - I want to be able to 'cheat' from time to time.

RNY - I want to be healthy.
DS - I want to be healthy.

RNY - I didn't want someone cutting off my stomach.
DS - I don't want a blind stomach.

RNY - I don't want to have to eat massive amounts of food.
DS - I want to be able to eat what I want.

RNY - I needed to change my habits.
DS - I've been trying to change my habits my whole life!

RNY - I never want to eat sugar or fat again!
DS - I don't want sugar and fat to be 'off-limits'.

RNY -- I want the convenience of a close by surgeon.
DS -- I want the convenience of a one-time surgery.

RNY - My insurance would only pay for the RNY.
DS - I fought my insurance long and hard for what I wanted.

RNY - I need to not eat fat because of my high cholesterol.
DS - I need to not absorb fat because of my high cholesterol.

RNY - I didn't want to risk that much malabsorption.
DS - Based on my own diet history, I knew that I needed the added malabsorption to keep off the weight.

RNY - I need help to lose weight.
DS - I'm great at losing weight, what I need is help to keep it off.
Most Active