Slipped Band and considering sleeve-any thoughts?

Shelley123
on 5/28/09 12:53 pm - Hendersonville, TN
I had my band surgery in October 2006.  Am down 85 pounds and went in for a check up and looksy at the band under fluoro.  No symptoms of a slip, no problems, nothing.  My band has slipped BIG time. 
Doc gave me the options, which were to try and get insurance to repair the slippage with a new band OR to convert to either RNY or a sleeve.  After all this time, I'm still not comfortable with the RNY, but I welcome any comments out there.  Anyone with the sleeve care to comment?  I'd love to hear from you!
Thanks in advance,
Shelley
MsBatt
on 5/30/09 2:14 pm, edited 5/30/09 2:15 pm
I have no personal knowledge of the band---I chose the DS, and have the Sleeve as my stomach part of that. I'm 5.5 years post-op, and have never had any stomach problems, can take any medications I did pre-op, have had no food intolerances, etc. I believe I've read that if you have a band slip once, you're more likely to have it happen again.

I'd go with the Sleeve, if you don't have much weight to lose, or with the DS if you do, or if you think you might need the malabsorption to maintain that loss. The DS actually CHANGES your metabolism.
bobbiie
on 5/31/09 2:01 pm - Dayton, NV
Hi Shelley,
First congrats on the loss of 85 lbs!!!
I was banded 09/2004.  Have done O****ill my esophagus dilated.  I was using it as a stomach.  That explains the hault in weight loss and the larger portions I was able to eat.  This was Fall of 2008 total unfill and gained 25 lbs. I had a small fill in March, but not enough restriction.    I am back up to 187.  Highest 214 lowest 159.  I am seeking the VSG.  I have done alot of research.  My main reason not to have RNY, Dumping and messing with the small intestines. 
Dawn  
Tracy
on 6/4/09 12:33 pm - Arlington, TX
My band slipped as well and I was also using my esophagus as a stomach. I started eating bigger portions 2 years out. (originally lost 120 lbs) I just revised to a sleeve on June 2nd. Mine was an emergency however because I was having esophageal spasms which mimic a heart attack. My surgeon is Dr. Castro in Dallas and told me I needed the band out ASAP. He said he would deal with my insurance later if they put up a fuss but because it was a medical necessity he didn't see a problem.

Lapband 3/1/05
Lost 120 lbs-gained 50lbs back
Sleeved 6/2/09-Lost 20lbs gained it back after hysterectomy on 1/15/10

As of 11/7/2015 I have gained all my weight plus some. I weigh 313lbs. I blame it on steroid injections I received for my back, the cymbalta i am on for fibromyalgia, I was on Lyrica for 3 months and gained 30lbs, and I found out I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis as well as Pcos. I had back surgery and had to lay flat for three months which didn't help either only to find out a year later the surgery was a failure. I now have a spinal cord injury and I am in a wheelchair! So much has happened since I last visited this site. The only thing I can do is swim. I am going to try and do this at least 2 times a week and work up to more!

spybo
on 6/6/09 7:02 am - Houston area, TX
Shelley,

My band is slipped also.  Despite the fact that my band got me to goal, I think that the band is a horrible surgery.  I've been told that once you've had a slip, the chances of slippage after re-operation are 70%.  I have mot verified these stats myself.  My first choice would have been DS, but I don't weigh enough(!), so I will revise to the sleeve in July.

Megan 
malia26
on 6/18/09 3:35 am - WI
Maybe insurance will cover easily to repair???  I was self pay so when I went for my slip repair, they covered because it was an outpatient surgery.  No questions asked....I ended up with it removed due to scar tissue/erosion...totally sucks!  So make sure you talk with your surgeon about what you want exactly.  Do you want to try to replace/reposition it?  Or if he can't, do the sleeve/RNY at the same time?  I'm soooo wishing I'd not have lost the band, now I'm sitting here 25# heavier and don't qualify for another procedure  I have to gain 10more pounds!!!  It's killing me.  And now knowing what I know....I loved the band, did great with it but sitting here struggling the way I am, I wish I'd had the sleeve done the first time around.
As far as if you choose RNY or sleeve or anything else....look at yourself and what you need.  For instance, I did well with the band, sounds like you did too.  I can eat healhty about 80% of the time so I don't feel like I need malabsorption from RNY...I just need to eat less and so the band or sleeve is perfect for that.

169 155   
current/goal 

High: 281, Band removed:180,
Sleeved: 215

Most Active