Anyone MILITARY who had an approved revision?

iamhopeful
on 5/26/09 4:10 pm - Abilene, TX
I had Realize band surgery 7  months ago, but am not satisfied with the little weight loss and problems I have because of it.  Has anyone had Tricare approve a revision?  Thanks!
carvelo
on 5/26/09 11:06 pm
Hi,

My husband is retired Army.  We have Tricare Prime as a secondary insurance, but they approved it before I picked up my primary insurance.  I think it depends on your area and if you are close to an MTF that has a RNY doc that does the surgury.  If not, then they usually will cover it.  Try and speak with your area Tricare rep.

Good luck and take care of you!

Carmen
rebeccaford
on 5/27/09 12:36 pm - Honolulu, HI
I'm Tricare Prime and I had my revision from VBG to RNY last month.  I had no problems getting the referral from my PCM to General Surgery.

Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

iamhopeful
on 5/27/09 1:14 pm - Abilene, TX
That's good to hear!  I have an appt next Monday w/ my PCM, so here's hoping.  I did call the surgeon who did my band, and his office said he's never done revisions, so I'm not sure what that will mean for me, but I won't lose hope!  How are you doing with the RNY?  Are you satisfied?  Any regrets?  If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the RNY over the other options?  Thanks so much for replying.  Best of luck to you and your revision! 
rebeccaford
on 5/28/09 2:52 pm - Honolulu, HI
I would stay clear of a doctor that has never done a revision.  I had a boat-load of scar tissue the surgeon had to work through.  I basically cut out the VBG and revised to the RNY.  I met with Dr. Carter a couple of times and he said my only real+best choice is an RNY.  There was a lot of damage.  I had acid reflex that was so debilitating my upper GI showed a BLACK esophous in parts.  Gross.  Anyway, he cut out the VBG.  Made me a new pouch and then removed all remnants of the old stomach.   So I'm just a pouch person.  I'm glad I chose the RNY.  I think it was the best option and the DS isn't done at Madigan (at least i don't think so) .  I feel really good.  The first few weeks were tough...I won't lie.  BUT it was all worth it. Even if I don't lose another pound, the relief from relfux was worth it. 

Hope you can get through the process quickly and decide what's best for you. 
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG

macsue
on 5/28/09 6:07 am - Danville, KY
I am scheduled for a revision to a RNY from a 13 year old VBG.   Tricare doesn't have any exclusions regarding revisions.   As long as you meet all the criteria, you should have no problem.
<^><^><^>Where there is faith there is hope, Where there is hope there is everything<^><^><^>         
iamhopeful
on 5/28/09 6:53 am - Abilene, TX
That's great to know.  Thanks for replying!   Best of luck to you with your revision and goals!  Judy
rebeccaford
on 5/28/09 2:55 pm - Honolulu, HI
Yeah!  Get rid of that nasty VBG :-)
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG

macsue
on 5/29/09 6:37 am - Danville, KY
I suppose you know about VBG's!    I don't understand why there a few Dr.s out there that still do them.   They don't work!    I lost about 50 pounds and then after I healed up, nothing except regain!!!!

I just hope and pray that the RNY will do it for me.   I am so afraid of failure........   I really believe this to be my last chance.
<^><^><^>Where there is faith there is hope, Where there is hope there is everything<^><^><^>         
rebeccaford
on 5/31/09 2:52 am - Honolulu, HI
On May 29, 2009 at 1:37 PM Pacific Time, macsue wrote:
I suppose you know about VBG's!    I don't understand why there a few Dr.s out there that still do them.   They don't work!    I lost about 50 pounds and then after I healed up, nothing except regain!!!!

I just hope and pray that the RNY will do it for me.   I am so afraid of failure........   I really believe this to be my last chance.
Oh yeah, I know about the VBG.  Dr. Weber in Seattle was my original surgeon.  I love him (he's retired now).  He was a firm believer in the VBG. 

The RNY will work if you work it.  I BELIEVE this is my last chance to lose the weight.  I have no stomach anymore so it's not like I can get another pouch made or anything.  The fear of failure is what motivates me.  I can't let it fail.  I remember at one of my support groups, we took a poll to see who thought they were going to be the one that the surgery fails for...everyone raised their hands.  So you aren't the only one afraid of failure.  What is that line..."Failure is not an option" ...

You will do great.  I get nauseos more than I would like, but every day keeps getting better. 
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG

Most Active