Opinions, please! From Band to ???

iamhopeful
on 5/27/09 2:11 am - Abilene, TX
I'd like a revision from my Realize band.  I am leaning toward the sleeve, but am open to explore all options.  All opinions welcome!  Please tell my why you chose what you did and how it's working for you, or if you have any regrets or wish you had chosen another option.  Thanks so much, Judy
cuppyb
on 5/27/09 7:38 am - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I was revised from the band to RNY and love it.  For me it was the right choice but I don't have anything bad to say about the other options or to compare it to.  

I'm down between a sie 10 - 12 depending on the cut.  It's been 7 months and I'm doing great and hope to lose another 20 - 30 lbs before New Years.  

I had discussed my options with my surgeon and while I was originally looking at the sleeve we decided that RNY would be the best option for me. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Tammi K.
on 5/28/09 6:20 am - Burlington, CT
Can I ask why you had the revision?  I am a lap band patient out 4 years and now having problems.  My band has slipped, so now my Dr. has released and is hoping it may go back on its own.  However, he is not very hopeful and actually neither am I.  I still have more weight to lose, but over the last few months with the complications I have been having, I am so discouraged.  Any thoughts...
cuppyb
on 5/28/09 10:40 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I had several things happen during my journey.  My port flipped in the first month and all my fills for the first year were under fluro, then it moved even more and we couldn't do the fills.  I was having really bad pain on the right side so they went in and moved my port and found my tubing was wrapped around my ribs and they fixed it all.  They had to unfill my from 3.4 cc's to nothing to do this.  Started getting new fills and was having issues my band slipped when they unfilled me, no idea why.  Adjusted it and should have been good to go, tried doing fills and couldn't even get back to 2 cc was too tight.  Was pb'ing 12 - 15 times a week, at least 2 meals a day or beverages would come back up (had been dropped to 1 cc at this point) and started bringing up blood.  My side was swelling and I had extreme pain every time I ate.  They did all sorts of tests and scoped me to find out it had slipped and I was tearing my stomach. 

I have no regrets about getting my band because I learned a lot about how to eat and how quickly you can regain the weight when old habits come back.  My last 6 months was pureed food cause everything stuck (even pureed), but I got fed up with that and would eat ice cream and pudding

Good luck and let me know how you make out. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/28/09 6:58 am
The sleeve is a good option, if you feel like restriction alone is enough to help you with your weight. That would be a good thing to look at first, is whether the band is failing you as a restriction only procedure, or if it's due to other complications. If you need more than restriction (some mal-absorption) then there are RNY and DS procedures, and they require more supplementation than the band or sleeve.

I chose the DS because it had the best statistics for weight loss, and maintenance of that loss. I needed to be able to take NSAIDS, eat as normally as possible when dining with others and not risk things like dumping or stuck foods. There are many on the DS board who have revised from the band or RNY is you have specific questions.
Most Active