What warrants a revision?

iamhopeful
on 5/26/09 4:21 pm - Abilene, TX
I've had many issues with my band and wonder if they would justify a revision to my insurance company.  Any input welcome...thanks!
~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/26/09 4:45 pm - Jacksonville, FL
It's going to depend on your insurance company.

Mine required a BMI over 40 plus a 6 month diet to approve any revision.

But if you're having slippage/errosion... they often will cover it.  Just be sure it's documented. 

Lack of weight loss sometimes work too, but often your weight has to be high enough to quality for surgery in the first place.

Good luck :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

dreaminofthin
on 5/29/09 5:33 am - Hillman, MI

I'm having a revision surgery on Wed. - from band to DS.  I didn't have slippage, erosion, flipped port, etc.  All I had was consistent nausea and vomiting and NO weight loss to speak of.  I've had my band for 2 years - and I weigh more now than I did when I got the band.  I will be the first to admit that I didn't work with the band, but it didn't work with me either.  It is not for everyone - learned that the hard way.  It takes the absolute most effort of any of the WLS - learned that the hard way, too. 

Because my BMI still qualified me for WLS, it was approved.  And, I didn't have any additional diet documentation - I had to have 12 consecutive months in order to have my lap band.  My thoughts were - isn't living with the band enough of a "documented weight loss attempt", and if so, then I've had 2 consecutive years of weight loss attempts.  The insurance company must've accepted that also, because I had no problems getting approved.  I have BCBS of MI.

I know every insurance company is different and I feel very fortunate that I never hit any road blocks along the way. 

Good luck in your endeavor.

Stephanie

Most Active