Weight loss after ERNY

JROLFSON
on 6/24/09 6:51 am - St. George, UT
Mew:

What are complex carbs....I'm not really sure about that...

Janie
mew6495
on 6/24/09 10:46 am - MI
On June 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Mew:

Janie
Hi Janie,

Complex carbs are carbs that break down into glucose slower in your system then simple carbs.  Allowing for more steady energy throughout the day.  Your body burns these as energy instead of storing as fat .  They are typically made up of whole grains such as whole grain bread, brown rice, oats etc.  Foods like beans, lentils, pasta, root vegetables, potatoes, yams, high fiber cereals are all considered complex carbs.  However, the lower the glycemic level in the complex carbs the better for you.

Hope this helps.  How have you been?

MEW

JRinAZ
on 6/25/09 6:25 am - Layton, UT
On June 24, 2009 at 5:46 PM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
On June 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Mew:

Janie
Hi Janie,

Complex carbs are carbs that break down into glucose slower in your system then simple carbs.  Allowing for more steady energy throughout the day.  Your body burns these as energy instead of storing as fat .  They are typically made up of whole grains such as whole grain bread, brown rice, oats etc.  Foods like beans, lentils, pasta, root vegetables, potatoes, yams, high fiber cereals are all considered complex carbs.  However, the lower the glycemic level in the complex carbs the better for you.

Hope this helps.  How have you been?

MEW

There's so much info on the net regarding carbs......I'd stay away from pasta, rice, potatoes, breads, etc.  They break down quickly into sugar which our bodies absorb regardless of our cool little ERny tools!

Better carb choices:  low glycemic veggies (very limited low glycemic fruits), ground flax breads (buy 2 plus lbs of ground golden flax at Costco), .....any carb that has oodles of fiber is going to give you a good carb count.  We should be living a "low carb lifestyle" so in counting your daily carbs, take the total carbs, subtract the fiber and that gives you your net carbs or countable carbs.

Simple Carbs = all absorbable, messes with your insulin levels and inititates cravings for more simple carbs!  Begins absorption in our mouth so dodges our "malabsortive tool" altogether!

It's just about finding your new faves in life that helps keep you happily on a healthy journey!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active