Considering Vertical Sleeve Revision

Celeste76
on 5/24/09 1:40 pm - Gonzales, LA
I had the sleeve done in 4/2007.  At that time, i was told that the stomach could NOT stretch back out. That the portion that cud stretch was cut out...removed. I have gained back 60 pounds and am so discouraged. I am considering a revision, but am doing my research first. Can anyone relate & advise? Have u had the revision? 

I also heard that they make the sleeves smaller now then they used to. Can anyone tell me about when that started changing?

Thanks
susang
on 5/24/09 9:51 pm - CA
Hi, Princess kathy from Australia had it done, her sleeve revised but I have not seen her on the board lately. My do c said the stomach can stretch were it looks like the figure 8 (hourglass) but he is reluctant to make it smaller as it was small 34bogie to befin with and he says there is a higher risk. Kathys Dr. told her the risk was not as high?? So that is what I know. Good luck with your research and decision. I also heard if the bogie was too big it is  doable.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/26/09 4:30 pm - Jacksonville, FL

Hi Celeste:

Most people *****vise from a Sleeve add in malabsorption... so an RNY (Felix from LA did this) or a DS(more common...lots of people.)  You can also have a re-sleeve gastrectomy... but I believe it is viewed as more risky than the other two revisions. 

In the past four years I've been on the boards, most surgeons have been using an either 32F or 34F for sleeves.  There were a few, Rosenthal comes to mind, who used a 40+ F... but he was the exception.  

I was sleeved with a 34F...and my weight loss stopped at 4 months (-50 pounds).  I've been contemplating a revision to a full DS for about 6 months, but will have to wait a year or two to go through with it.  I was told that I could expect to lose an additional 10 BMI points with a VSG to DS revision, if that helps.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Celeste76
on 5/27/09 1:51 am - Gonzales, LA
yes it does help!!!!!!  what is a "DS"?
~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/27/09 2:13 am - Jacksonville, FL
A DS is a duodenal switch.  Basically, your sleeve stomach remains the same, stil have a pylorus, etc... but 80% of your small intestine is bypassed.  You malabsorb 50% of the protein you eat, 80% of the fat you eat, and for carbs...it depends. 

You can find out more by going to the Duodenal Switch forum here on OH, the website dsfacts.com, or duodenalswitch.com

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active