WHAT or HOW to Say What Needs to be Said

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/09 8:11 am, edited 5/22/09 8:12 am - Phx, AZ
Howdy All,

I am now 6 months post-revision (erny).  I am also down BELOW my goal..... 138.  Honestly I didn't really want to get below the 140's, but here I am...

I have been ill, as some of you know...  Hence, I have lost more weight as of late... lost 8 pounds in just a few days over the past week.  My problem is: the CONSTANT BARRAGE OF COMMENTS I get from friends, family, and co-workers..... such as:
"You are WAY TOO SKINNY!!!"  or, "You look EMACIATED!!!"

Yes, I got thin quite fast, in my estimation... and my body is just not able to catch up with the weight loss....  the skin sagging is a big part... my upper arms look like empty stretched out bags...they not only sag, but I may almost appear to be quite dehydrated (I do drink)... my veins all stick out on my arms...  My face looks a bit 'drawn'... but like I said, I am ill for the past several months also...and so I LOOK sick.  At present I have no strength or stamina to use weights or anything to build muscle, if in fact this might help somewhat.  Maybe in the future. 

What and How can I say (kindly) that may just alleviate some of this skeptical & critical comments???  People make these comments in groups of my co-workers, and I hate to address a personal comment to a group of onlookers. 

Sign me: Feeling a bit Skinny-Comment-Phobic
Liz
Rhonda S.
on 5/22/09 12:08 pm - Bensalem, PA
Hi,

Sorry you have been ill.  If you don't want to say "you have all day to stay  out of my business" - you might try:

"Thanks for your concern - I'm aware of the issue and I am dealing with it  with my doctors-- I don't really want to talk about it - lets talk about something else."

katydid
on 5/23/09 1:23 pm - Mishawaka, In
Could I please ask what type of revision you had? I have a Rue-N-y about 7 yrs ago and am looking into revision due to weight gain. Thank you,Kalyn
Princess_Mommy
on 5/26/09 12:15 pm - Vernon Hills, IL
Congratulations on a successful revision!  I'm sorry you have been having health troubles and I really hope they are now behind you.

Here's my suggestion for a comment:

"I know, isn't it cool?" and grin.  That should stun them into silence, and you can have a moment of rejoicing in your success rather than focussing on the negative of your current health battles.  Positive focusing is always better than negative.
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/09 8:58 am - Phx, AZ

Yes, I thought of a good one today:

"Why yes, I have lost a LOT of weight!  But without that weightloss, I wouldn't have all this hanging, loose skin on my arms... and without that, I couldn't play FLYING SQUIRREL in the wind!!!"

Oh well... I tried.

:)

Most Active