Surgery and breastfeeding

Heather M.
on 5/22/09 6:10 am - Rosedale, MD
Hi all!  I am having my surgery on 6/11 and I am breastfeeding my 5 month old.  Anyone know how long I should pump and dump after the anesthesia?  I left a message with the lactation station at the hospital but thought I'd ask here for experiences too.

Revised to VSG (6/11/09) weighing 253...

christine G.
on 5/24/09 2:00 am
I really cant answer this since I am not a mother and consequently have never breastfed- however in addition to discussing this with the lacation experts I'd also reccommend speaking to your surgeon.  From what I understand when breast feeding you increase the amount youre eating to provide proper nutrition for both yourself and the baby- after surgery and even in the few weeks pre op if your surgeon has you on a liquid diet your nutritional intake will be very compromised- is it safe to continue to breastfeed during this time?  I could be wrong, but this is something I would suggest you speak to your doctor about. 

Christine

Breast Lift/Brachioplasty January 18, 2011
Lower Body Lift March 3, 2011
Inner Thigh Lipo/Lift May 4, 2011 

~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/26/09 4:37 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I was breastfeeding when I had my revision.   My daughter was 12 months old at the time... so it's probably less risky than a 5 month old who is relying on breastmilk for all of her calories.   In general, if you want to be very conservative, pump and dump after you wake up.  However, in the past few years (at least), the general consensus is that it's perfectly safe to nurse upon waking.   You can also talk to the anesthesiologist as well as your pain doc and let them know you are breastfeeding (especially as you'll probably bring a pump to the hospital). 

Here's a good article http://anesthesiologyinfo.com/articles/01052002.php

And another one... http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html

"General anesthesia should not affect breastfeeding. You can safely nurse once you are awake and alert enough to hold your baby. By that time, the amount of medication in your bloodstream is low enough that the amounts in your milk would not be significant. The point at which you wake up after general anesthesia is the point where enough of the drug has left your system that it no longer has an effect. In addition, pediatric surgeries require anesthesia - and that is a more serious exposure than through mom's milk. Mom might want to nurse just before the procedure in case she's out for a while or too groggy to function normally for a bit. See the articles and references below for more detailed information...."

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Heather M.
on 5/27/09 1:10 am - Rosedale, MD
Hi Sami and THANKS!  The lactation consultant told me the same thing about being safe to BF right after I wake up, but that I may not feel up to it and suggested I bring my pump to take the pressure off my breasts.  She also referred me to the kellymom.com site :)  I'll be sure to tell the anesthesiologist and doc about my breastfeeding so they can give me the right stuff for pain afterward.  Lacie actually gets a 6 oz. bottle of formula a day (we had to supplement at first and we kept her on it for the Vitamin D) so I'll nurse her right before surgery then if she needs a bottle while I'm in there Daddy can give her a bottle and then we can play it by ear after I'm out.  If I feel up to it I'll nurse her, but if not I'll just pump.  I usually cradle hold her for nursing, but with the gas being blown into my belly I might have to football hold her instead for a bit.

Revised to VSG (6/11/09) weighing 253...

Most Active