Am I fooling myself?

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/09 10:23 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
I had a RNY on 10/3/06.  I only was able to keep off 14 lbs. 1 year out.  I think I have a 2 oz pouch, 25 mm stoma hole punch and a 100 cm bypass.   I had the Restore trial on 2/27/08 and only ate soft food to try to keep the staples intact until fall of 2008.  At 6 months out I had only 1 staple out and the stoma was 1.6 cm.  I thought at that time I had some restriction...nothing major but then I was only eating really soft food.  In no time at all after starting to eat solid food I noticed hunger increasing.  I think my stoma is at least 25 mm again because I never feel like I ate anything, even a dry chicken breast.  The Restore trial was stopped the day after my procedure because the staples and tool needed to be redesigned because the trial was not working.  I am now 30 lbs fatter than before the RNY.  I noticed many of the revision people retrospectively think that carb control will work in place of a revision.  I am trying to lose weight with dieting but I can't make it work even when I control the carbs.  Do you think carb control REALLY can work?  Am I fooling myself?  I swim most days.  I even trained for and completed the Danskin triathlon last summer.  I am trying to do it this fall but my foot is a mess.  thanks, Daisy
jeanyjane
on 5/20/09 8:48 am - Germany
There are a lot of studies out there that prove that about 97% of all people fail with diets, be it carb control or whatever. Without the help of surgery, loosing weight longterm is pretty much impossible. The higher the BMI, the worse the diet results. If you have had a WLS that doesn`t work at all and is NO help in neither limiting your food intake, nor changing your metabolism, nor malabsorbing calories, I can`t see how you could do better with a diet then those who never had surgery. Given that you are now weighting more then before surgery, I guess that your metabolism is now even more resistant to loose weight then ever. I`m sorry... really sorry that I don`t have more encouraging things to say. It`s too bad that most doctors aren`t open with the patients about how high the failure rate of the RNY is.

It`s great that you`re active and exercising, that will have a very positive effect on your health and soul!

All the best!
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/09 6:42 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
I think people that lose weight with this surgery really need to be commended.  They are so self controlled to be successful.  Daisy
Most Active