Newbie 4 days Post-Op

danbarton
on 5/16/09 1:42 pm
I am a newbie, you can read my blog to find out more about me if you like. 

I had revision surgery on May 12, 2009 with Dr. Overcash.  He is the Dr. that did my first bypass as well.

He did an ERNY along with the Stomaphyx procedure and this was done outpatient. 

I've been home 4 days and I feel great.  Still a little discomfort, but otherwise, feeling good.  I've started the liquid diet (he requires 30 days post op)  and am drinking my water. 

I'll be glad to answer anyone's questions about either procedure if I know the answer.  I'll keep everyone more updated. 

Good to be home!!
rebeccaford
on 5/16/09 2:45 pm - Honolulu, HI
Wow!  Sounds like you are doing great!  I had a revision from VBG to RNY and was in the hospital for 6 days...I can't imagine being an outpatient.  Did you have it open or lap?

Keep sipping your water.  It's a challenge for me :-)

Rebecca
Lorie2
on 5/17/09 9:24 am
congratulations on your revision. I had revision in february. I had the erny also. I should of had the stomaphyx done also because my stoma is enlarged and food falls right thru. I'm down about 35 pounds. Did your insurance cover the stomaphyx?
danbarton
on 5/17/09 10:24 am
Insurance did not cover any of my procedure I'm sad to report.  I'll keep you updated on how things are going.  Today, I sat in the garage with my wife while she did some organizing.  I did try to help, but wasn't very much at all.  I do think I overdid it a bit today and am hurting a little tonight.  Overall, I still feel good and have had another good day.  And reply to the other post, yes I am sipping all the water I can :-) 
smileyjamie72
on 5/19/09 6:58 am - Palmer, AK

Congrats!!!!  Nice to see someone only one week out of surgery & doing well.
Can I ask how much money your procedure was?

I did go in and read your profile, I had one question, and I am by no means flaming you.  I am not trying to be mean at all.
In your profile, under the INTRO blog portion, you mentioned that ""you would have to take supplements for sometime after surgery,"" I sure hope you mean supplements for life, right?
It just alarmed me, I had RNY about a month before you, in 2002.  And, here I sit, looking into revision myself.
I applaud you, for being able to know you needed the revision!!!!!  Your wife sounds like an amazing lady as well.
Anyways, here is a link, about vitamins, just to read. 
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/3717031/Vitamin-Rant/

One of the posts, by TanyaF just sticks out and truely scares the crap outta me, if I ever go off my vitamins.... I think about how hard I fought to have WLS surgery, and to not take the vitamin regimine lightly.

Again, I am not perfect, at all.  I just wanted to share concern for you & pass along information.
WAY TO GO ON YOUR WEIGHTLOSS!!!!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

danbarton
on 5/19/09 10:04 am, edited 5/19/09 10:05 am
I, of course will take supplements as long as my Dr. deems necessary.  We will discuss supplements and that type of thing further on my follow up in a week.  If he says supplements for life, then so be it, not a biggie to me.  Didn't mean to alarm you.  The cost was roughly $10k.
smileyjamie72
on 5/19/09 12:10 pm - Palmer, AK
Thank You!!!!  I am glad that you are keeping an open mind  and relationship with your doctor.

Happy healing!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

JRinAZ
on 5/17/09 12:50 pm - Layton, UT
Hiya danbarton!
congrats on your revision.  I hear your surgeon is fantastic!  It was my pleasure to have a long phone chat with him a couple of years ago!  I like the idea of having the stomaphyx done at the time of revision to ERny!  At some point of the honeymoon, I think restriction will matter again.  For my ERny now; the malabsorption is doing all the work cuz I'm eating like a mad woman!  LOL!  I have to eat every 2 hours and am trying to keep my daily calories up to 5,000 .....in sane for sure and ....it's all forced on my part.  Eating like this a few years ago would have been a dream come true now I enjoy the days that I can have just 2,000 calories!! 

My plan:  I pretty much do Atkins only.  How about you?  I'd love to hear what other surgeon's suggest for post Erny's at the different stages.

Keep us posted!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

dawn4511
on 5/17/09 10:21 pm - Niagara Falls, Canada
Hi JRinAZ
Can I ask why you are eating so many calories? Also was your 1st surgery an RNY? How much did you lose with it?

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

JRinAZ
on 5/18/09 3:21 am - Layton, UT
On May 18, 2009 at 5:21 AM Pacific Time, dawn4511 wrote:
Hi JRinAZ
Can I ask why you are eating so many calories? Also was your 1st surgery an RNY? How much did you lose with it?
I rarely reach 5,000 calories BUT, it's a goal set for me by my surgeon's and dieticians.  I had lost weight below 100 lbs and had all kinds of nasty stuff going along with that weight loss........rather than have them throw me in the hospital with a line of liquid food being pumped in me....I agreed to UP the  calories and nutrition on my own the best I can!!!

Sooooo..... we made out a meal schedule that I tweak for variety but basically includes:

5 protein drinks = around 1,000  calories total and over 150 grams of protein for a day
I have a nutritional intake schedule set every 2 hours that goes like this:
7 a.m. -protein drink
9-meal = 300 to 400 calories (I use butter, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and other sauces to boost calories)
11-protein drink
1-meal
3 -protein drink

and so the day continues.......I've been able to boost my protein count, my energy, my hair, nails, skin have gotten healthier, my weight has gone up to a normal BMI and I can now do some strength training at the gym!  Woooo Hoooo!

When the scale has me close to 115 then I can drop my calories and eat like a normal person.  It's very easy to trim the same food plan.  I just cut out the "extra" calories like butter, oil, sauces, etc and have grilled and steamed.  It's amazing how many calories are "hidden" in a recipe!  ....Did you know that if you take your same meal plan and just trim 100 calories out of it a day that you'll have lost 10 pounds by the end of the year?  That's just simple things like having mustard with your hot dog instead of lots of ketchup, or spray with Pam instead of coating hte pan with oil or butter.....spray on dressings instead of scooping a ladel full at the salad bar...etc.

I had to reverse the rules of the pouch for a while and drink with my meals but it's easy to back that off and reverse as well.

I eat a VERY low carb lifestyle and the carbs I eat are all low glycemic veggies with just a few fruits.  I have a glutten/ wheat intolerance so that eliminates most processed crap.

It's a healthy lifestyle in "spite" of the high calorie count.  I'll adjust as my docs recommend with my upcoming lab results.

People wonder why I do Atkins type eating if I'm trying to GAIN/ MAINTAIN weight?  ....  My shortened common  channel (50 cc) has major malabsorption.  So, if I were to eat crap like sugars, baked goods, chips, etc then I'd gain weight but it wouldn't simultaneously improve my labs.  My style of eating is about overall good health and not just about the number on the scale.

My first surgery was a proximal RNY.  I lost about 145 lbs and hovered in a good zone for 2 to 3 years.  My total loss now is about 168 lbs so my revision took me beyond the last low "goal weight".  I'm resting at a weight now that is in "low-normal" or about a BMI of 19 to 20.

That was the short answer, right?  LOL!  .....  Take care!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active