RNY vs Mini Bypass

Denise V.
on 5/15/09 4:42 am
So on my road to working towards a revision I had an upper GI Barium swallow done, and it looks like I was given a mini bypass even though I was told I was having the gastric bypass...  Does anyone know what the difference is, or if they can legally perform one type even though they said they would do something different, and still to this day have not told me they did the mini bypass???

TIA,
Denise
~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
JROLFSON
on 5/15/09 7:27 am - St. George, UT
Denise I would start off by first contacting your physician who did the MGB and request a copy of your surgery report....Also, I would look for any documentation Insurance or Dr. wise that says Roux N Y....If you have that then get an attorney...Some will take a case without money upfront if they think they will win....If you have nothing in writing, you can still fight but, it would be tough...

Janie
JustLookingToo
on 6/5/09 1:59 pm - AL
I had a Mini-Gastric Bypass in 2000, and I am about to be revised to a RNY due to Barrett's Esophagus, severe anemia, delayed stomach emptying and bile reflux. You will probably lose weight fine with the MGB, but the complications that I just listed did not show up until a few years after my MGB. My new surgeon told me that the Barrett's is a result of the bile being looped up towards the throat. The RNY should stop the Barrett's from progressing.

If I were you, I would not rush into a revision right now, but I would make sure that you were financially compensated for the "error". Be sure to save enough money to have a revision down the road, as you may have bile complications as I am experiencing. 

I have to say that I have rather enjoyed my MGB. Barrett's is a very dangerous condition, and waking up with Bile reflux attacks every night really gets to be a pain (literally). I'm glad that I am getting a revision and hopefully won't have to deal with Bile problems any longer.

So sorry that this happened to you.
Most Active