Horrible message received by a member

ellton
on 5/14/09 12:51 am

Good morning. I wanted to share with this board a bizarre experience I had this morning.

I am seeking a revision of a RNY which was done in 2003. I have not had the best of experiences in this arena but I feel that WLS is a viable option for me. In this quest I have been researching my options and asking questions. Last night I sent a pm to a member asking questions about her experience and she responded in an abusive manner after she read of my experience in March 2008....

In March 2008 I had what I thought was a revision along with a hernia repair and some other "fixes". I lost maybe 10-15 pounds and then nothing. I learned shortly after this surgery that I did not have a revision after all--nothing was bypassed as I had been lead to beleive. I read my operative report and learned that a hernia was removed and that the esopheal spincture muscle was repaired, only. That was it! I was wholly disappointed but determined to have a revision. I think almost a year passed before I visited the board again and never updated my profile to reflect this new information.

This member read my profile and sent me a message calling me horible names. It was a horribly abusive message. I'm not going to give her an audience so I will not reveal who she is...the main point of my experience in March-April 2008 is that I learned an important lesson. I need to always be sure that I understand the surgery procedures that are planned. I also need to ask ask ask questions, and not be too trusting.

As far as this member goes...its difficult enough trying to find a reputable a surgeon, get the insurance approved, along with all the other caveats of being obese. This board has always been like a friend to me...if I'm away for 6 or 8 months I can just pick up where I left off. Moving forward, I think, that if any of us doesn't understand or are confused about someone's experience or story...just ask. Most times you'll find that almost everyone will share...that's what we're here for, right?

Thanks

Tonya

Zee Starrlite
on 5/14/09 1:18 am
Hi Tonya!

I am sorry about the pm BUT you don't have to take it in.  There are plenty of people here that will help you.

I hope you do achieve your WL goals.  Keep your head up - love yourself as you are right now as we are not promised tomorrow.

God Bless,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/09 1:36 am - AZ
On May 14, 2009 at 7:51 AM Pacific Time, Tonya S. wrote:

Good morning. I wanted to share with this board a bizarre experience I had this morning.

I am seeking a revision of a RNY which was done in 2003. I have not had the best of experiences in this arena but I feel that WLS is a viable option for me. In this quest I have been researching my options and asking questions. Last night I sent a pm to a member asking questions about her experience and she responded in an abusive manner after she read of my experience in March 2008....

In March 2008 I had what I thought was a revision along with a hernia repair and some other "fixes". I lost maybe 10-15 pounds and then nothing. I learned shortly after this surgery that I did not have a revision after all--nothing was bypassed as I had been lead to beleive. I read my operative report and learned that a hernia was removed and that the esopheal spincture muscle was repaired, only. That was it! I was wholly disappointed but determined to have a revision. I think almost a year passed before I visited the board again and never updated my profile to reflect this new information.

This member read my profile and sent me a message calling me horible names. It was a horribly abusive message. I'm not going to give her an audience so I will not reveal who she is...the main point of my experience in March-April 2008 is that I learned an important lesson. I need to always be sure that I understand the surgery procedures that are planned. I also need to ask ask ask questions, and not be too trusting.

As far as this member goes...its difficult enough trying to find a reputable a surgeon, get the insurance approved, along with all the other caveats of being obese. This board has always been like a friend to me...if I'm away for 6 or 8 months I can just pick up where I left off. Moving forward, I think, that if any of us doesn't understand or are confused about someone's experience or story...just ask. Most times you'll find that almost everyone will share...that's what we're here for, right?

Thanks

Tonya

Tonya....

I just sent you a PM apologizing and I think I need to do this in public as well.

I referred you to that person because she does have links that I thought would be helpful.  She PMed me last night and told me what she wrote.  She was under the impression you were someone else.  She's been harassed quite a bit lately and she thought you were another one doing the same thing.

I told her I disagreed.  I thought you were sincerely a person wanting some information and that is why I referred you to her.

She really isn't usually like that but she's been getting so many bizarre PMs from a group here on this board that she thought you were one of them when she saw on your profile that you already had your revision.  She thought she was being played and harassed  again.

I am sincerely sorry for all the misunderstandings.  I will find the links and get them to you.

shele
on 5/14/09 2:04 am
That's right! Good for you for not being intimidated!  Keep doing what you are doing, and you will find the answers that are right for you, as you know you best, right?

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/09 9:00 am - AZ
On May 14, 2009 at 7:51 AM Pacific Time, Tonya S. wrote:

Thanks

Tonya

Tonya....

The person in question tried to send you a formal apology but you have her blocked, and as she says rightly so.  She made a mistake and she is apologizing.  She sent it to me and asked me to forward it.  You'll find it in your PMs.

Again, sorry for the whole thing.

JRinAZ
on 5/14/09 9:40 am - Layton, UT
Tonya!

((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))!!!!!

WE live and learn.  Shame on the docs for even using "Revision" verbage while intending to simply fix  a hernia!  You were duped sweetie pie.....NOT your fault but a lesson we can all learn from, right?  I annoy the heck out of docs now by rephrashing everything they say ...as in, "so what I hear you saying is....blah blah blah"!

Whoever felt the need to berate you privately (or at all) is a simple minded coward.  Don't stress over them!

Hang in there!

Joyce in AZ
Revision to eRNY 12/26/07 - 168 lbs
at Goal (BMI of 20)
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/09 1:05 pm - AZ
On May 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
Tonya!

((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))!!!!!

WE live and learn.  Shame on the docs for even using "Revision" verbage while intending to simply fix  a hernia!  You were duped sweetie pie.....NOT your fault but a lesson we can all learn from, right?  I annoy the heck out of docs now by rephrashing everything they say ...as in, "so what I hear you saying is....blah blah blah"!

Whoever felt the need to berate you privately (or at all) is a simple minded coward.  Don't stress over them!

Hang in there!

Joyce in AZ
Revision to eRNY 12/26/07 - 168 lbs
at Goal (BMI of 20)

So Joyce....

Why do YOU suppose the person in question misunderstood the intentions of the OP in PM?  Hmmm, I'll bet you know that answer.

JROLFSON
on 5/15/09 12:46 am - St. George, UT
Joyce:

How are you my FRIEND? Can't wait to meet you too!

Janie
JRinAZ
on 5/15/09 10:59 am - Layton, UT
On May 15, 2009 at 7:46 AM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Joyce:

How are you my FRIEND? Can't wait to meet you too!

Janie
Hey there!
Just a weekend and a couple of sleeps til surgery !!  I'll be over at the hospital for a lunch appt on your surgery date (20th right?) so will pop into either your room or the waiting area....depending on where you are right then.

I'll probably make it back over on Thursday; barring any new patient's that I might need to tend to at Dr.Mazaheri's office (plastic surgeon). 

If you're here through the following Tuesday then you might be ready for an outing?  My support group is meeting at Wildflower Restaurant at the Chandler mall fr support mtg this month.  They have soups of all kinds and soft foods like tuna and chicken salad as well as other things.......There are bunches of Revisions who attend my support group so you may get some of your questions taken care of.

You've got my cell # right?

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mew6495
on 5/14/09 11:16 am - MI
 Hey Tonya,

Sorry to hear of your experience with an ignorant, mean spirited individual.  Don't let one bad experience scare you away.  Most on this site are very supportive and have useful information to share from their own experience.  

There are steps you can take, blocking them, reporting them as inappropriate or just plain out ignoring them.....etc.  

Good luck to you on your search for a suitable revision and a better, healthier life.  I admire your courage to move forward even after what must have been a devastating experience with your last surgery!

Most Active