Revision from RNy to Extended or Distal RNY

ellton
on 5/13/09 6:36 am

Hello.  Is there anyone here who has had a RNY revision to ERNY or a distal RNY?  Is so, how was your experience and recovery?

I'm researching revison options....

Thank you!

Tonya

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/09 6:56 am - AZ
On May 13, 2009 at 1:36 PM Pacific Time, Tonya S. wrote:

Hello.  Is there anyone here who has had a RNY revision to ERNY or a distal RNY?  Is so, how was your experience and recovery?

Thank you!

Tonya

I'd PM StacysMom and ask her for some links.  I haven't seen her around in awhile but I know when I PM her she responds so she must get email notifications.

She has some links that you might be interested in reading.  Just know all your options and don't let anyone push you into anything you don't want whether it is a poster or a doctor.  Study ALL your options and go with your gut.

mew6495
on 5/13/09 11:06 am - MI
On May 13, 2009 at 1:36 PM Pacific Time, Tonya S. wrote:

Thank you!

Tonya

Hi Tonya,

I have had a revision from RNY to ERNY.  My original RNY was in 2001 and I just had my revision last October. 

For me, my experience has been a good one.  I recovered quickly.  I had mine done open and was back at work in a little over 4 weeks.  I have had no major complications. 

There seem to be varying results with the ERNY.  I have now lost the weight I have wanted to and feel very good.  The issues I had were that the first month and a half out I had quite a bit of gas and bloating.  I found I could control the majority of this with my diet.  I had diarrea for the first month or so but now it has stabelized out.  I do have more bm's then pre revision.  About 2 a day.  I have to take more vitamins due to the greater malabsorption.  If you have a tough time being compliant with vitamins and protein you may want to seek a revision that does not entail a greater malabsorption component. 

There are several options out there as far as revisions go.  You are doing the right thing by asking questions.  Researh all of your options.  Choose the revision that is right for you, has risks that you are wlling to accept and the one YOU feel fits your life style. 

Good Luck to you.

ellton
on 5/13/09 10:45 pm
Congratulations on your success, and thank you for sharing.  How much were you bypassed during the revision?

T
mew6495
on 5/14/09 5:01 am - MI
On May 14, 2009 at 5:45 AM Pacific Time, Tonya S. wrote:
Congratulations on your success, and thank you for sharing.  How much were you bypassed during the revision?

T
 You're welcome!  The Doctor gave me a 75 cm common channel.  Very high malabsorption.  Hopefully I will see good long term success with it.

LosingSally
on 5/13/09 12:24 pm
I had a very distal RNY or ERNY as my original weight loss surgery 3 years and 10 months ago. I am doing great, my labs are good at this time, and I don't have any negative effects.
I do have about 3 BMs a day, not pudding, not hard, very normal.
I went through a few periods where the IBS I've had for many years has given me problems, mostly diarrhea. Benefiber twice a day has really helped me in that area.
Foods with manitol, sorbitol, etc give me gas and diarrhea.
Maintaining my weight is easy, if I put on a few pounds ( 4-5) I just reduce my carbs and lose the weight in a few days.
I am having no problems with iron, calcium, or D. My PTH was a little elavated but with extra D and calcium, it's in the normal range now.
I am sure you'll do well, just follow the protocal for your surgery.
shele
on 5/13/09 11:26 pm

Hey Tonya,

I had the erny( open)  on the 23rd of March, so I am way too new to give much on experience.  My recovery has been slower than I thought it would, had a few issues with my incision. They are all good now though. I have lost about 23 pounds according to my doctor, 20 according to me LOL.  It is definately slower, but it is comming off steadily.  In MY opinion, for me, I am eating soo much better than with the rny, because of not asorbing all of the fat. 

The biggest thing that I am bummed about, is my stomach is absolutely huge! I have lost 32 pounds since August of 08, but I cant get into my jeans that I wore then!  I asked the doc and he says it can be that way for some, can take a couple or more months to get all the swelling down! uggh!..  As long as I am wearing elastic or stretchy waist things, I do take a smaller size.  I can tell everywhere but my belly that I have lost. ( and wouldn't you know it.... thats where my weight is anyways )!! grr.

Just keep reading and researching to find what will work the best FOR YOU! Good luck and ask what ever you like!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

ellton
on 5/14/09 12:54 am
Thanks Shele.  Congratulations on your success.  I wonder if all ERNY revisions are open?  Did your procedure begin as a LAP?

Thanks

T
shele
on 5/14/09 2:12 am
I am sure there are docs that do it lap, I am even sure that some do revisions to full ds lap.  I knew from the start that mine was  going to be open.  My first time around I chose my surgeon who was relativly new( 3 yrs, ) because he did it lap.  This time I didn't care as my doc said he wanted to have a really good look since it was a revision, and make sure there were no hidden problems, I accepted that as he is a pioneer in weightloss surgery,(1978).

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

tbearyward
on 5/14/09 4:35 am

shele,

I will be seeing Dr. Maguire on the 4th of June to see about some abdominal issue I am having with my RNY that I had 7 years ago with him.  Dr. Teal his associate suggested I have a revision at that time if he suggest exploratory surgery to see what my issues are.

My question to you is did your insurance cover any of the revision?  I have anthem am afraid they won't allow me to have any revision?  If is it not to personal if you had to pay some out of pocket was it extremely much?  My husband is semi retired from GM and my hours at work are cut to 30 instead of 40 and I am not sure we can handle a lot more expense.

I never lost much with the RNY only about 50 pounds and would love to get to below 200 pounds an out of the Morbid obse range.

Let me know I would love to here from you about your revision because mine will also be open as was my first surgery.

Thanks
Tina

Most Active