Weight Regain after 5yrs..Options..thinking of the LapBand

pittmansj
on 5/13/09 2:48 pm
Hello All,

I have recently joined the community after being 5 yrs post op and gaining almost 30lbs of my lowest weight loss which was 190 when I started out at 323.  I have been considering the Lap Band as a resource, but I read tonight of the 5 day Pouch Test, then starting on a High Protein low glycemic vegetable diet for LIFE!  Please provide any suggestions as to what I may do I am at my wits end and I know its because of my eating habits and lack of exercise, but I was enjoying not having to exercise and still lose weight, but my appetite has increased almost to the point of pre surgery days.
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/09 2:12 am - AZ
On May 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM Pacific Time, pittmansj wrote:
Hello All,

I have recently joined the community after being 5 yrs post op and gaining almost 30lbs of my lowest weight loss which was 190 when I started out at 323.  I have been considering the Lap Band as a resource, but I read tonight of the 5 day Pouch Test, then starting on a High Protein low glycemic vegetable diet for LIFE!  Please provide any suggestions as to what I may do I am at my wits end and I know its because of my eating habits and lack of exercise, but I was enjoying not having to exercise and still lose weight, but my appetite has increased almost to the point of pre surgery days.

I'm assuming you have RNY?

If you are only wanting to lose 30# the band might just do the trick for you.  Weight loss will be slow but it will come off.  But understand, it will be VERY slow!  You'll have to bump up exercise and watch your diet but you know, if you aren't doing those things now you may not need a revision surgery.  Just get it done!  Cut out ALL white carbs, do hard cardio at least 30 minutes daily, more is better.  Nobody loves exercise, well... some do but they are weird. ;o)  It's like cleaning the toilet, nobody wants to do it you just have to.

I have a bit of motivation on my profile if it would help any.

mskay
on 5/14/09 2:55 pm - chicago, IL
i heard you will be going backwards if you get the lapband and you wont lose any weight. because what you already have is top of the line. keep reading the post some people here did what your trying to do and wasnt sucessful. i think you should have your pouch checked to see if it has stretched and get it fixed back to where it was before. im 9 years out and ive gained 60lbs im not filling full anymore and i can eat way more now. i have a hernia that before i knew thats what the burning was in my stomach i would eat and it would stop so now im looking to have a revision to fix what has come lose and to get my hernia removed. i have the RNY.
clacognata
on 5/14/09 10:34 pm - Westmont, IL
I lost 135lbs with my RNY 5-1/2 years ago.....on April 24th, 2009, I had the lap band put in.  I had gained 60 lbs back of the original 135lbs lost.  My doctor is a firm believer that the band will help me, due to me not feeling any restriction (or not much).  It has only been 3 weeks today, so I don't have any long term success to share with you.  But I think talking to your surgeon to find out how they feel about it is the best thing you can do.

Cara
mskay
on 5/16/09 6:10 am, edited 5/16/09 6:11 am - chicago, IL
I need a referral from my primary care doc. so i can find a doctor that takes state insurance.do you know if your doctor takes it. have you lost anything in the three weeks you have had the band.
JeannieBVA1
on 5/18/09 12:52 pm
I had lap band over RNY (From 1993)  I need to lose 83lbs.... Since surgery I've lost 11 lbs.. However my surgery was just done 4-30-09 and I've not had my first fill in the band yet..

Just keep watching the post on here... You will see some updates..  It's going to be hard for a little while to know how the band is going to work as revision.  There has just not been enough of them perfomred as of yet.

Good luck with whatever you choose...

Jeannie
pittmansj
on 5/19/09 10:12 am
Good Evening Everyone,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my cry of help.  I agree..before I undergo any surgeries, I NEED to get alot more active consistently and cut back on the bad carbs.    I know my pouch has stretched because I am able to eat alot more almost what I used to be able to eat if not at one sitting...not too long after that.

I hate this weight gain, and the fact that I feel as though I have failed myself in not continuing the process of mind/body make over in regards to better nutrition and exercise, but I am determined to FIX the problem before it gets even more out of control!

Again thank you so much for your suggestions and shared experiences.
smittygirl
on 5/19/09 4:50 pm - Bridgeport, CT
I just got the band put over my rny on 4/8/09 and already lost 16 lbs. Everyone is different. So are you. Research and do what you think is best for you. Good luck.
dolly O.
on 5/25/09 9:20 pm - league city, TX
I had my band placed one year ago and am now getting a gastric bypass. I DO NOT recommend it to anyone. For a whole year I did nothing but vomit, slime, cough and was completely miserable. They have a procedure now where they can reduce your pouch size back to the way it was after surgery, I am not sure what it is called. It was mentioned at the seminar I went to with my new doctor. I can only tell you so much. I think in your heart and deep within yourself you know what to do. Good Luck!

Don't put a question mark where God has put a period! 
Dolly Oliver

Most Active