Mental Health Eval

R C
on 5/12/09 10:41 am - IA
I had a pre authorization mental health evaluation.  How does that determine if I am should qualify or not.  I spend about 3 hours asking questions like "would you like to be florist" and about 25 question in the 700 some I answered asked if I ever thought about killing myself.  Then I spent about 10 minutes with the psychologist who just asked who I lived with and my weight loss history.  I am just really not understanding this whole 700 questions, and how this person can make a judgment on me in less than 10 minutes.

brandyII
on 5/12/09 11:53 am
I don't know but I had to go through it twice, once for the lap band and second for my impending RNY.   I found it to be very long and grueling at times, lol.  The one I had last month seemed longer and more indepth.  Sorry for the description but to me it was like a "mental anal probing" of sorts.  They want to make sure that you are not suicidal and want to make sure you have emotional back up and support after your surgery.  They want to know that you have coping skills in place after surgery so that when you don't have food to turn to you can choose a healthier way to deal with "issues".  Mine let me know I passed afterwards so that was a relief.

Good luck to you!
msubb
on 5/12/09 11:55 am - mesquite, TX
I think that they are a total waste of time, also.  I had to have one and was denied the surgery because the eval results determined that I would not be a good candidate because I had a distrust in doctors, What???, that was totally untrue. They made me go and have a second eval with a different  psychologist , and he had to deem me suitable for WLS. After all of that, i was finally approved for my revision from a Lapband to RNY. My surgery date is May 26th and I can't wait to get this band out of me , and back to becoming a "loser" once again.
Good Luck,
Michele.
USAF Wife
on 5/12/09 2:05 pm
I thought the same thing, plus I read my results and they were SO OFF. . . 

My psych spent about 30 minutes with once he reviewed the test results, but I thought it was a big crock of crap to be brutually honest.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

elsa
on 5/14/09 12:52 pm - fort worth, TX
i had to answer a bunch of multiple choice questions on the computer, then consult with the psych to make sure i was competent and fully able to understand the risks involved. guess i didnt put out any red flags cuz i was approved but i think drs just do it to cover themselves.

Elsa 

I'm really a perfect size six, I just keep it covered in fat so it doesnt get scratched.
http://www.myspace.com/elsathegreat

Most Active