band out and hoping for rny

mine66
on 5/11/09 8:52 pm, edited 5/11/09 9:02 pm - London, United Kingdom

Hello

i was banded in December 2006 and from the get go did not do very well

last december  i started having very bad reflux (no acid) then i inheld my
own vomit while i was alseep and spent 2 weeks in hospital (still have problems now) all the water was taken out of my band at that point , i have gained all the weight

i lost  and a lot more the Dr im seeing at the moment said i should give the band a
second chance but if by August early september im still the same or have put more weight
on he will revise to an RNY has anybody had there band out and had a rny what should i expect is it very painful and will i lose weight as i only ever lost 2stones (28pounds) in 2 years.
any support would be great
thank you
mine66

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/09 3:53 am - NJ
Hi there!  I had my band out in March after suffering with horrible reflux too.  I was banded in June 2008, had my first fill in October 2008, and my reflux started to get really bad, then worsened after another fill in December.  I was completely unfilled in January 2009, got another fill in February 2009 and went in the next day (on a Friday) for an unfill, and had then band out the following Tuesday (March 2009).

My surgeon said that sometimes the band makes reflux worse (like me) and sometimes it cures it (one of my best friends).  You just don't know what it will do for you.

Just had the RNY on April 6th and I am loving it - no more reflux, no nothing.  I am surprised that your doctor is making you suffer for so long.  I only lost about 25 pounds in the 8 months I had the band.  I gained back about 5 - 7 pounds in between surgeries (because I was eating like I was on death row every day).

Since April 6th, I have lost 25 pounds.  I couldn't be happier.  I don't know if I dum*****t yet and I am not trying to find out.  Good luck and don't hesistate to ask if you have any questions.
PekinSal
on 5/12/09 3:59 am - UK
I had the band out and had the DS instead - I don't regret getting rid of the band for one second!

Life with a pouch/sleeve stomach is much different to the band - you'll have to learn new rules but at least you'll have practise at chewing!

Good luck

DS revision from failed lapband

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/09 5:17 am - AZ
On May 12, 2009 at 3:52 AM Pacific Time, mine66 wrote:

Hello

i was banded in December 2006 and from the get go did not do very well

last december  i started having very bad reflux (no acid) then i inheld my
own vomit while i was alseep and spent 2 weeks in hospital (still have problems now) all the water was taken out of my band at that point , i have gained all the weight

i lost  and a lot more the Dr im seeing at the moment said i should give the band a
second chance but if by August early september im still the same or have put more weight
on he will revise to an RNY has anybody had there band out and had a rny what should i expect is it very painful and will i lose weight as i only ever lost 2stones (28pounds) in 2 years.
any support would be great
thank you
mine66

Tell your doctor that if he wants to keep a band in his own little self while aspirating on his own vomit, all the power to him.  You don't want to live that way.

If he won't do your revision, is there someone else that will?

mine66
on 5/13/09 5:35 am, edited 5/13/09 5:35 am - London, United Kingdom
hehehehe wish there was but  it does not work that way over here im afraid
but hey ho i will wait although im going back on the 29th of May to see him
so things may change,

thanks
mine66
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/09 5:44 am - AZ
On May 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM Pacific Time, mine66 wrote:
hehehehe wish there was but  it does not work that way over here im afraid
but hey ho i will wait although im going back on the 29th of May to see him
so things may change,

thanks
mine66

Can you make an appt on a weekly basis with the same complaints insisting he do something vs. sitting on his thumb?  You know, the squeaky wheel and all that good stuff?

mine66
on 5/13/09 5:57 am - London, United Kingdom
Hiya
have sent you a PM
mine66
on 5/30/09 1:07 am - London, United Kingdom
Hiya Folks
so saw my Dr yesterday and he said the band is NOT working and he wants convert
to a RNY, im very happy....... however im really scared....  Dr said for me to go away and think/read about it all (i have been reading  for ages now) i also asked him if he will put me in touch with others that have  had the same thing said the Gastric nurse will call me next week and talk things over with me, also saw the dietian and she gave me a lot to read ( 2weeks pre op  diet and after op stuff )and said she wil call me next week too, wow im very sacred but very happy  about this really dont like the band so fed up with it as it didnt work for me and i still have chest problems and the night refulx has statred again ughhhhhhhh oh well looks like i will have the rny soon and i pray it all goes well
any advise support would very very welcome
thanks
Most Active