Revision from RNY to DS

April J.
on 5/13/09 6:37 am - Bowie, MD
Why would you choose DS over the surgery that you are opting for?
JROLFSON
on 5/13/09 6:56 am - St. George, UT
Truthfully April if I had the funds I wouldn't choose ERNY I would choose DS....even though it is highly risky...But I know that Dr. Husted in Kentucky has a few tricks up his sleeve for severly at risk patients...Procedures that no other surgeons doing DS do..significantly for those RNY patients who have had more than one surgery on their pouch...He explained them to me in an email and he talks about a method he uses on those highly scarred patients going to DS.

So, my answer....I wouldn't choose what I'm doing if I could one: Afford the DS and two: wasn't as old as I am and three: didn't have so much scarring...as I don't want to and can't afford to be out of work for a month.

My answer, hope it helps.

Janie
April J.
on 5/13/09 7:13 am - Bowie, MD
Wow, did you say out of work for a month? How long do you expect to be out with the ERNY?
JROLFSON
on 5/13/09 7:29 am, edited 5/13/09 7:32 am - St. George, UT

Yes April:

Barring all complications....recovery for RNY to DS is 4-6 weeks...could be longer if you have any complications and could be shorter if everything goes smooth as silk....

ERNY is 2-3 weeks out....more if complications, less if none....

Reason for the amount of time are most of these surgeries are done open....there are some Dr.'s who do lap, but I wouldn't go lap, no way....There is no way the surgeon can see whats going on inside other than what is in the way of the lap tool...if they have you open they can see everything as they go....can save some time and a sore throat, not to mention a sore tummy if they end up opening you up anyway.....and quite often they do on a revision if you begin with lap.

Janie

Most Active