Success Rate After Revisions

ellton
on 5/13/09 10:39 pm

I feel the same way.  I had my RNY in December 2003.  My weight was 257 and I got down to 158 then back up to 165 where I remained for 4 years.  I now weight 220.  I want to lose 60-70 pounds. 

I've read about the conversion to DS from a RNY but I wonder if I'm too light for that conversion.  I'm also looking at the ERNY.

T

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/14/09 5:54 am
If you feel you are "too light" for DS, you may have the same issues with ERNY.

If you don't have a lot to lose at this point, have you thought of restriction only, such as the sleeve?
marcia7749
on 5/22/09 7:10 am
Janie,

I wish you the very best in your second revision.

I had a RNY in 1984, lost 100 lbs....kept it off 10 years....gradually gained it all back.

I am now 250 lbs and looking into a revision.  And...am not sure what way to go.

I am really interested in hearing from others as to which way they would suggest.....

Good luck to you!!!

Marcia
mew6495
on 5/12/09 10:01 am - MI
On May 11, 2009 at 6:32 PM Pacific Time, Katrina B. wrote:
I recently attended a seminar with Dr. Husted, he said people who have a second surgery aren't as successful as if they'd had one surgery to begin with. Example going from RNY to DS.

Can anyone tell me their stories and experiences with revision surgery? Specifically from RNY to DS.

Hi Katrina,

I had my original RNY in 2001 and I had a revision to ERNY last October.  I am now within 8 lbs of my goal....for the 2nd time.   I have also read about the metabiolic issue after an original wls.  This is also, what I believe made it so impossible for me to loose the weight by diet alone.  So revision has worked great for me!

From what I am hearing, Dr. Husted is a good doctor.  You should do awesome. 

Good Luck!

Katrina B.
on 5/13/09 12:17 pm - Prestonsburg, KY
Wow that is amazing, congratulations!
seaturtles6511
on 5/12/09 10:11 am - Selbyville, MD
I had my original WLS in March of 2001, Since having my daughter in 2004, after losing 290 lbs gained aprox 100 back. I have alot of viloent vomiting and acid reflux problems, how easy was it to get your ins to approve a revision...... ??? Any help to guarantee the aproval??
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/09 12:07 am

Don't know what surgery you had but any chance you have a hiatal hernia?

seaturtles6511
on 5/13/09 11:31 am - Selbyville, MD
I had roux en y , I did develop a hernia. I had that repaired when I had the apron removed in 2002.

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/09 12:05 am
Everyone is different, I had a VBG back in /87, and went from 260 lbs. down to 113 lbs. for almost nine years.   After the first three years my pouch stretched out when the staples started to separate and I had to diet to keep the weight off.

In /06, I went for a revision to the lap-band and weighed 251 lbs. on day of surgery and got down to goal of 124 lbs. in twenty months.    I am now starting my fourth year as a bandster and still at goal and it is much easier with my band to do well this time around.
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/09 12:10 am
The only reason I gained weight was because I ate too much and it had nothing to do with metabolic issues.   That may be the case for some but I think the majority of us regain just because we are overeating period.
Most Active