Success Rate After Revisions

Katrina B.
on 5/11/09 11:32 am - Prestonsburg, KY
I recently attended a seminar with Dr. Husted, he said people who have a second surgery aren't as successful as if they'd had one surgery to begin with. Example going from RNY to DS.

Can anyone tell me their stories and experiences with revision surgery? Specifically from RNY to DS.
JeannieBVA1
on 5/11/09 11:41 am
Katrina.. I was told the same thing by two different Dr's from two different practices..

They said it's because once you have the procedure.. You know how to "cheat" better and get the wrong kind of foods to digest... (That was just one example) 

However.. I just had the band over RNY (From 1993) on Nov 30th... as of today I've lost 11lbs..  That's like a pound a day.  So...... So far so good..

I go back in about two more weeks to have the band tightened for the first time... I will keep the board updated...

Good luck in your search...

Jeannie
JROLFSON
on 5/12/09 1:54 am - St. George, UT
Katrina:

I had Gastric Stapling or VBG in 1979 kept the weight off almost 10 years until the staples pulled out. In 1989 I had VBG to RNY...A complete revision of the pouch.

So with my first surgery I was at goal by May of 1980, with my Revision I was at goal by February 1990. I kept my weight off for 17 years...

My starting weight before firsrt surgery was 256 lbs. My lowest after first surgery 116 lbs.
My starting weight before 2nd surgery was 226 lbs. My lowest after 2nd surgery 98 lbs.

My weight now 200 lbs. Gained the last 30 in the last 3 years. So basically I weighed under 170 for 17 years. Thats not bad really considering I had a revision.

What I was told by Dr. Husted was that when you have a revision your body becomes metabollically resistant to losing weight...And yes, you are much wiser on how to overeat the surgery the second time around.

But revisions do work....I am proof of that...

I will be having revision to a more malabsorptive procedure without revising the pouch due to the risk factor...and money factor...I will receive ERNY May 20th.

Good Luck To You.

Janie
Katrina B.
on 5/12/09 5:14 am - Prestonsburg, KY
No, absolutely weighing under 170 for that many years is amazing in my book. I would love to just weigh 180 and stay there...

I think Round two will be different and better. I put my full confidence in Dr. Husted, especially since he has been doing revisions since 1998.

Good luck with your ERNY! & thanks for responding.

Katrina
April J.
on 5/13/09 6:17 am - Bowie, MD
What exactly is revision to ERNY? I had my initial RNY in 2004. I started at 305 and my lowest weight was 185. I now weight 225, gained another 5 lbs in a week. I am looking into having the RNY revised to the DS, but am afraid because it is so invasive. Is ERNY anything like the sleeve?
JROLFSON
on 5/13/09 7:04 am, edited 5/13/09 7:24 am - St. George, UT
It stands for Extended Roux N Y.....Basically giving you a more malabsorptive tool...The Dr. goes in doesn't touch the pouch, usually cleans up scar tissue or fixes any hernias, or bowel problems and then shortens your common channel to between 100-50cm 100 being the least amount of malabsorption and 50 being the most liberal amount of malabsorption.

There are some on this site who have links to descriptive drawings of the procedure. I believe DeanneK does. Also you might ask this same question to the following list....They have all had the procedure and can give you a really good account of their experiences. I am having it on May 20th so I can't speak from experience.

JRinAZ
deannek
mew6495
arizonadck
lizzy
shele
dawnb
ginau
waunitas

If you want more names let me know, if you can't find any of these folks let me know.  I'll be glad to get you in touch with them.

Also you should check out the ERNY site I believe mew has a link to it....if you want to privately PM me I can give you more information

Janie
LosingSally
on 5/13/09 1:03 pm
I have ERNY, not as a revision, but as  my original surgery.
JROLFSON
on 5/13/09 11:46 pm - St. George, UT
Dear LosingSally:

I wish I would of had the ERNY as my 1st revision surgery. Did you research your procedure and specifically ask for the ERNY or was it something your surgeon usually performs...I was wondering how you received that for your first procedure. I don't think they did it when I had my revision and I sure wish they would have....I may not be in this position today if they had.

Thanks,

Janie
LosingSally
on 5/14/09 1:08 pm
I had this proceedure in India. I had the choice, and the pouch was smaller than the sleeve part of DS, so I got the pouch, with a short common channel.
JROLFSON
on 5/14/09 11:52 pm - St. George, UT
Wow, how fortunate for you that you received it as a first procedure....Wish I could have had that option....Thank you so much....You are a wealth of information for us here.

Janie
Most Active