has anyone had a revision with Dr. Artuso in NY??

JustMe70
on 5/11/09 3:04 am
Had an RNY in 2000 have had 100% regain.  Have exercised all my in network insurance options here so I am now allowed to look out of network.  Dr. Artuso does revision work and will do a free consultation and is only a few hours away from me.

Has anyone done a revision with him what kind?  I am interested in hearing what RNy patients are doing for revision.  I alos see a Dr. Hill to the North of me who does DS but he has only done a total of 7 revisions and I have no idea if any of those were an RNY to DS.

My original RNY was laporscopic very little complications did lose 152#'s but started gaining immediately.  Have since found stoma is open, pouch is 6x's what it was supposed to be and staple line is not in correct place.....basically explained to me not enough was stapled off in the correct place.  

The two places I have been locally tell me there is nothing that can be done.  Hospital # 1 where I had the surgery said too bad too sad ou blew it you only get one chance here with us (never did a test to see stoma or pouch issue) hospital # 2 did tests sees problem vindicated me so my feeling like a loser failure  was not so bad but are only interested in doijng their new procdure of stomaphyx and refuse to consider other options sayng they are concerned about scar tissue and a revision would take 8-10 hours (I know this part is a scare factor so I will give in and go with the stomaphyx)

So, fast forward now I am looking at all of my other options and I like the way Dr. artuso has everyhting set up seems very efficient but I would like to hear from others that have had revisions with him. 

Thanks so much.
jeanyjane
on 5/11/09 3:58 am - Germany
I`m so sorry to hear that your RNY failed and that you were treated to badly by your local docs!! It is an outrage that doctors who should know better leave their patients alone, telling them a revision is not possible or trying to scare them into an expensive self-pay procedure that doesn`t work, certainly not to loose so much weight (stomaphyx). The RNY fails in 35-60% of all patients with a BMI of 50+, and about 20-25% of those under 50, so you`re definately not alone.

With your history it`s great  to hear you`re already looking into the DS, because if you have gained all weight back the RNY, it`s very unlikely any of the easier revision procedures will produce good enough weight loss. For your metabolism, the RNY was an extreme yo-yo-diet which has most likely further damaged it..

I have never heard of Dr. Artuso nor Dr. Hill after reading the DS board for more then a year, so I am sceptical that they do the DS as a virgin procedure regularly, and I am sure neither of them is very experienced in RNY to DS revisions. You know the RNY- DS surgery is risky, and choosing a very experienced surgeon is mandatory. I recommend you to post your question at the DS board if none of them pops in here, there is a list with very experienced DS revision surgeons. There may be one who is covered by your insurence, even if you have to travel serveral hours.

Good luck and all the best!
JROLFSON
on 5/11/09 4:52 am - St. George, UT
HI JustMe:

I would suggest that you go to bariatric surgeons on this site, punch in your state and it will give you a list of Dr.'s that's pretty extensive. Some have signed up with OH and others haven't...Those that have usually have a lot of information that includes number of RNY's, number of Revisions....patient reviews....types of surgeries they perform.

Also, if there is anyway you can travel or pay out of pocket...There are some excellent revision surgeons out there such as: Dr. Husted, KY,Dr. Higa, CA,Dr. Rabkin, CA,Dr. Keshishian, CA Dr. Garber, FL...

I might add that most insurance companies don't cover the stomaphyx as yet and if you have to pay out of pocket...you would be so much better off putting that money towards a revision that is really going to work for you...Also, how much weight do you want to lose? If it's over 70-80 lbs...you really should think about a revision that is going to give you the best long term results...I don't think your going to get that from a Stomaphyx...You could get that from a DS...

If you are very compliant with taking your Vitamins and doing as your told by the Dr. you should maybe check into an ERNY which is a shortening of the common channel and would give you the malabsorption component that you neet and would get if you got a DS but is less risky to the point that they don't take down the pouch which lessons your risk for leaks...But extremely high weight loss from what I seem is usually not received by this procedure...I have seen a couple who have lost over 100 lbs though.

This is the procedure I have chosen, as I too have a problem with insurance and can't self pay for a DS...or go out of our insurance network which is Arizona, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

Hope you find what your looking for...Good Luck and keep in touch.

Janie
reenieb
on 5/12/09 6:35 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
PLEASE DON'T OPT FOR THE STOMAPHYX, IT DOES NOT WORK!!! (I call it the Stomaphail ... )
Most Active