Stomaphyx procedure 4/22/09 update

garcot
on 5/8/09 5:20 am, edited 5/8/09 9:50 am - South River, NJ
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to update everyone on my progress.  I had the procedure done on 4/22/09 it was very easy and painless for the most part.  The only pain was a severe sore throat that lasted 2 days and was controlled with liquid Tylenol with codeine.  But my stomach was fine.  I have been on protein shakes, jello,  light yogurt,broth tea and coffee for 2 weeks and it wasn't so bad.  You still in your mind want real food but if you actually stop to think you realize your not hungry.  I am going into my 3rd week and now can have soups, yogurt, moist fish, eggs, cottage cheese, non fibrous fruit, canned in natural juice without skin and chicken added to my diet.  I feel good and have no complaints.  I go back in a month for another review to see how I'm doing.  He did tell me that he has had successful patients, but sometimes it has to be done twice to achieve the success i want.  He has had to do a couple of his patients twice, and they have been very successful.   As for me so far so good, i am doing everything possible to make my surgery a success and to not have to have it repeated.  I do want the most success I can have so if it's necessary I will have the procedure done again, it was not a hard surgery to recover from and I was pretty much back to normal.

Sorry for being so long, just wanted to give you all the facts.  Take care all and will continue to keep you posted.

Distal gastric bypass
07/1999  370
lowest     215
Stomachs
04/2009   258
current     243

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w87pUWD/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w87pUWD/weight.png[/img]

April J.
on 5/8/09 6:53 am - Bowie, MD
What kind of procedure is that?
garcot
on 5/8/09 9:43 am, edited 5/8/09 9:44 am - South River, NJ
stomaphyx  is a procedure for people who have Had  gastric bypass and after a while in my case 9 yrs started to gain weight from stretching of the stoma and the pouch.  it's the most minimal invasive surgery for revision.  they do everything down the throat .  There is no cutting so no blood loss and it's day surgery.  google stomaphyx and there is info about it there.  hope this helps.  Any other questions please feel free to ask .

mskay
on 5/8/09 11:51 am - chicago, IL
i am having the same problem with the weight gaining after 9 years out my pouch is stretch and i have a hernia the surgeon here in chicago want $15,000 in cash. because he claim he's out of network for the insurance but i can get care credit to finance me. he doesnt do the procedure you had for people who had the bypass im not sure why but he perform the stomaphyx surgery for sure. do you think you will lose any weight now. because he told me he will be fixing my pouch and stomach  and removing the hernia and i should lose 60-70 within a year. but he never told me mine will be a revision. i guess when doctors do anything to your stomach after youve had a weight loss surgery is a revision.
mew6495
on 5/8/09 12:04 pm - MI
Hi MsKay,

Am I reading your post right?  Your doctor does the stomaphyx but not on RNY patients?  I thought this type of procedure was mainly for RNY bypass patients.

Have you gotten a 2nd opinion?  There may be other avenues for you and other doctors who can work with you on your insurance and what revision might be right for you.  Something about this doctor is not adding up.  Sure we can all try and get financing to pay for our revisions but if we have insurance that will cover it why would we want years of monthly payments if we can avoid it?  Just a thought.....  You have choices, don't let any surgeon tell you that you do not.

Good luck.  Glad you are on this site and reading, research is the first step to having a successful revision.

mskay
on 5/12/09 12:27 pm - chicago, IL
Yes thats correct im so frustrated with it all. i'm still looking to find a surgeon here that take state insurance. most of these doctors want to be paid and paid well.one place said they will remove the hernia on the insurance but leave my stomach like it is.with the pouch all stretched. cause the insurance wont cover that part. so im going to continue my search if i can find a bariatric surgeon that will remove the hernia and fix my pouch it will be great. but here in illinois the hospitals are the only ones taking the state insurance and the waiting list ls five years long because revision is the same as getting it new.
mew6495
on 5/8/09 10:30 am - MI
On May 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM Pacific Time, garcot wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to update everyone on my progress.  I had the procedure done on 4/22/09 it was very easy and painless for the most part.  The only pain was a severe sore throat that lasted 2 days and was controlled with liquid Tylenol with codeine.  But my stomach was fine.  I have been on protein shakes, jello,  light yogurt,broth tea and coffee for 2 weeks and it wasn't so bad.  You still in your mind want real food but if you actually stop to think you realize your not hungry.  I am going into my 3rd week and now can have soups, yogurt, moist fish, eggs, cottage cheese, non fibrous fruit, canned in natural juice without skin and chicken added to my diet.  I feel good and have no complaints.  I go back in a month for another review to see how I'm doing.  He did tell me that he has had successful patients, but sometimes it has to be done twice to achieve the success i want.  He has had to do a couple of his patients twice, and they have been very successful.   As for me so far so good, i am doing everything possible to make my surgery a success and to not have to have it repeated.  I do want the most success I can have so if it's necessary I will have the procedure done again, it was not a hard surgery to recover from and I was pretty much back to normal.

Sorry for being so long, just wanted to give you all the facts.  Take care all and will continue to keep you posted.

Distal gastric bypass
07/1999  370
lowest     215
Stomachs
04/2009   258
current     243

Congratulations garcot!  I hope all turns out well for you and you get to where you need to be!

Keep us posted.

pepsi98
on 5/8/09 10:57 pm, edited 5/8/09 10:57 pm - Norwich, CT
On May 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM Pacific Time, garcot wrote: Hi Everyone,

Distal gastric bypass
07/1999  370
lowest     215
Stomachs
04/2009   258
current     243

I had stomaphyx and spent $10.500 out of pocket (and am STILL paying for it!) but it was a failure for me.  I believe the statistics are showing that the fasteners which are attached to the mucosa are not holding.  I lost 17 lbs, but that was from the post op diet.  I ahd a band placed over my old bypass.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

April J.
on 5/9/09 10:17 am - Bowie, MD
So it has been almost three weeks since your revision, how are you? How much weight have you lost thus far and how successful is this procedure said to be. Is it said to be as effective as the DS.
nkoehler88
on 6/14/09 3:53 am - Moore, Ok
THANK YOU FOR POSTING!!! I will be going in July 10th to have StomaphyX. I was worried about it as i have not spoke to anyone that has had, or read that anyone has, just info that many have had the procedure LOL please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Nancy
Most Active