So Glad to Know I'm Not Alone

JROLFSON
on 5/14/09 8:39 am - St. George, UT
Dear MsBatt:

I was just wondering how many years of Stats have been accumulated on the DS?  I know that RNY has over 30 Yrs but DS the way it's done today, I'm not sure how many years of comparisons are out there?

Do you know of anyone on these boards who have had a DS and maintained at goal for over 20 years? I was just wondering, because I thought the DS was relatively new, i.e. hasn't been done for over 20 years which really wouldn't give you a clear picture as to just how successful long, long term it really is, would it?

Just a thought!

Janie
MsBatt
on 5/14/09 1:45 pm
The first 'modern' DS was done in 1988, and unless he's passed in the past few months, that first patient is still alive and doing well.

I don't have stats at hand---but if you'll visit the DS board and ask this question, I'm certain someone does. I personally don't know anyone 20 years post-op---I'm basing my statement about 'best long-teerm results' on a study that compared 10-year post-ops.
JROLFSON
on 5/14/09 11:50 pm - St. George, UT
Hello Ms. Batt:

I did post that question right after my post to you yesterday on the DS Board...And there was one who was 12.5 yrs post op and was within 20 lbs of goal weight...But I was told not many who posted on OH were more than 7-8 years out from what I could tell...They also verified that Dr. Hess was the first surgeon to perform DS in 1988.

I'll be interested to see 20-25 years of long term results....Knowing myself....My eating habits 25 years ago were so obscene that if I would have had the DS I know I would have overeat the surgery, some things you just know about you....And that I know about me....And, truthfully I don't think I'm that much different than a lot of others on the boards...Learning to re-consume food is really the trick...education on yourself...is what makes any WLS successful for the long term...I like to think I am finally that person....

I had VBG and maintained goal for 10 years, when the staples pulled out I revised to RNY and maintained for almost 18 years. But I have to agree, especially for those folks with over 200 lbs to lose DS is the most aggressive but best option to lose and maintain the weight loss....

Thank you for your comments....

Janie
Most Active