Hi - I'm new

sillygirl18
on 5/6/09 6:59 am
Hi - I'm new.  I had rny- open in 2003.  I lost 115 pounds and life was excellent.  I kept it off for about 3 years.  I gained a little and then all of a sudden I gained a lot.  Turns out my stoma is huge.  I've been on a 2 year journey to get it fixed.  At first the insurance company wouldn't approve me because I wasn't obese anymore.  Now, sadly I am.  I am scheduled for a band over my rny.  I'm nervous and feel like I don't fit in very well.  Can anyone tell me what to expect?  Please don't tell me to do DS - I looked into it and since I have small children, sole custody and prior surgeries - DS really isn't an option at this point. 
Thanks everyone!
ajalew
on 5/6/09 11:08 am - Sanford, MI
I had a band that worked extemely well for five years.  It slipped after I had a lengthy illness where I coughed so hard I would vomit (lasted for several months and my band couldnt handle it).  Even though I'm converting to a VSG this summer I still believe the band is an excellent tool for those who know how to use it and have it properly placed and filled.  Many bandsters to sleevesters said they wished they would have gotten a sleeve (VSG) from the getgo... I've read it's like a band without the complications.  I'm not trying to convince you of anything else, I just wanted to mention the VSG is very band like and not as dangerous as a DS.  I wish someone would have told me about VSG in 2006 when I had a new band put in... it hasn't worked correctly for me since.  Though I definately dont regret getting a band in 2001 - it saved my life and I loved having it.  It took some getting used to at first because you HAVE to chew SO well.  But its something you'll learn pretty fast.  :)  Also, you'll probably be much more restricted in the mornings than in the evenings so plan to start having liquid protien shakes for breakfast.  I love chocolate Reset.  Its low carb so it doesn't spike my appetite like some protein shakes do.  With the band there are certain foods you won't be able to eat any more because they will always get stuck (painful!) or cause you to throw it back up (called PB or productive burping, not the same as a full vomit) but frequent PBing can cause the band to slip.  So chew, chew, and chew some more and when you think you can't possibly pulverize it anymore - keep chewing!  lol

It can take quite while to find your perfect fill level but that's normal so plan on it and it'll make life easier for you.  If you get a fill and find you're too restricted get some fill removed IMMEDIATELY so you don't cause yourself any additional problems like dehydration or slippage.  More restriction does not necesarily mean better weight loss if all you can do is sip water.  As you lose weight you'll probably need to get more fill put in because, like the rest of your body, your stomach is getting thinner too.  :)  

If you have trouble and end up PBing, I suggest you stop eating right away and let your stomach rest.  The rest of the day drink only thin liquids - this will prevent your stomach from getting irritated and swelling up making it impossible to drink or worse yet, causing erosion or slippage.  Basically, as long as your band is well placed and filled appropriately, and you follow the "rules" of band life you'll probably be pleased. 

I hope this helps... its info I had to learn the hard way.  Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 5/6/09 12:18 pm - AZ
On May 6, 2009 at 6:08 PM Pacific Time, ajalew wrote:
I had a band that worked extemely well for five years.  It slipped after I had a lengthy illness where I coughed so hard I would vomit (lasted for several months and my band couldnt handle it).  Even though I'm converting to a VSG this summer I still believe the band is an excellent tool for those who know how to use it and have it properly placed and filled.  Many bandsters to sleevesters said they wished they would have gotten a sleeve (VSG) from the getgo... I've read it's like a band without the complications.  I'm not trying to convince you of anything else, I just wanted to mention the VSG is very band like and not as dangerous as a DS.  I wish someone would have told me about VSG in 2006 when I had a new band put in... it hasn't worked correctly for me since.  Though I definately dont regret getting a band in 2001 - it saved my life and I loved having it.  It took some getting used to at first because you HAVE to chew SO well.  But its something you'll learn pretty fast.  :)  Also, you'll probably be much more restricted in the mornings than in the evenings so plan to start having liquid protien shakes for breakfast.  I love chocolate Reset.  Its low carb so it doesn't spike my appetite like some protein shakes do.  With the band there are certain foods you won't be able to eat any more because they will always get stuck (painful!) or cause you to throw it back up (called PB or productive burping, not the same as a full vomit) but frequent PBing can cause the band to slip.  So chew, chew, and chew some more and when you think you can't possibly pulverize it anymore - keep chewing!  lol

It can take quite while to find your perfect fill level but that's normal so plan on it and it'll make life easier for you.  If you get a fill and find you're too restricted get some fill removed IMMEDIATELY so you don't cause yourself any additional problems like dehydration or slippage.  More restriction does not necesarily mean better weight loss if all you can do is sip water.  As you lose weight you'll probably need to get more fill put in because, like the rest of your body, your stomach is getting thinner too.  :)  

If you have trouble and end up PBing, I suggest you stop eating right away and let your stomach rest.  The rest of the day drink only thin liquids - this will prevent your stomach from getting irritated and swelling up making it impossible to drink or worse yet, causing erosion or slippage.  Basically, as long as your band is well placed and filled appropriately, and you follow the "rules" of band life you'll probably be pleased. 

Only problem with a sleeve after RNY is that the stomach is already stapled off.  It would be tricky to revise a bypass to a sleeve.  A band would be a lot safer.  If she was going to revise to a sleeve she might as well go for the whole DS and she doesn't want DS.

ajalew
on 5/6/09 9:19 pm - Sanford, MI
On May 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
On May 6, 2009 at 6:08 PM Pacific Time, ajalew wrote:

Only problem with a sleeve after RNY is that the stomach is already stapled off.  It would be tricky to revise a bypass to a sleeve.  A band would be a lot safer.  If she was going to revise to a sleeve she might as well go for the whole DS and she doesn't want DS.

Good point. :)
sillygirl18
on 5/7/09 6:01 am
Thanks for your help and advice, Ladies :)
Most Active