VGB Gastric Bypass Revision?

starcrabb74
on 5/6/09 4:32 am
Hi everyone.
I had the VGB Gastric Bypass done in 2001.  I happily lost 160 lbs, had a lower body lift and was happier than I could ever be.  Then I started a cycle of depression due to lonliness and have now gained 45 lbs in 2 years!!!!  I am dealing with the depression and those issues, but well, the weight gain has alot to do with the current depression.  I guess Im prone to underlying depression. 
Has anyone had a revision with a banded gastric bypass?  I went to see Dr Nishumura (Is that right??) and he is not sure if stomaphyx can be done on me.  I have been on weight w****ers since Dec and lost 3 lbs.  WOOPIE...so  that pretty much means I had a bowel movement! 
I never thought I would be looking into revision surgery but here I am....
THANKS!!
JROLFSON
on 5/6/09 7:12 am - St. George, UT
Hi There Star:

Well first off....Are you sure you had a VGB or maybe a VBG.....If it was VBG then I can happily tell you that was my first surgery. I don't believe they did mine the way they did your's...Mine was in 1987....but it was a stapling not an incision to make the pouch.

Have you had a EGD done? because often times this particular surgery does come apart, i.e. the staples pull apart leaving you with a big open stomach again, therefore allowing you to eat more, gain weight.

I'm not sure if you had the stapling but, I will tell you the Stomaphyx...is not the fix! Never really ever heard of it working long term for anyone as of yet...It's a fairly new procedure with new stats. I wouldn't go there if I was you.

It might be a good idea for you to check out the VBG forum as there are many people over there in your same predicament.

You have several options for revisions...Here are some...

Complete VBG revision to RNY GB
ERNY (Possible, not sure)
DS
Not sure if you could be banded or not because of scar tissue.

Get an EGD done that will tell you if your WLS is still in tact.

There are many people here to help...

Shout out whenever you like.

Janie
pepsi98
on 5/8/09 10:42 pm - Norwich, CT
I had a gastric bypass (stapling) in 19282 and had a lap band placed over old bypass in 12/08.  Weight loss is slow, but I'm usually ok with that because it makes me work at this every day.
This is just ONE option of many,,,Janie laid the options out pretty well.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active