Revision of RNY to DS (anybody not able to be done)?

lwillis22
on 5/5/09 1:16 pm

I am scheduled on May 12th to have a revision of my RNY done in 2002 to a DS.  I am very concerned that there will be too much scar tissue and the surgeon will not be able to perform my surgery.  Has anyone had this happen or better yet has anybody not had this happen....lol? I have also had a hernia repair so I have mesh in there as well. 

Thanks,

Lori

JROLFSON
on 5/6/09 12:48 am - St. George, UT
Hello:

Has your Dr. given you an alternative if he is not able to take down your pouch and give you the restrictive component?

Often times, or at least when I was researching the DS....the Surgeons I spoke to about the procedure told me that in my case due to my 2 prior revisions that I may indeed not be revised to a full DS but, that I could come out of surgery with an ERNY....Which means they would do the malabsorptive component of the procedure but not the restrictive component.

Janie
jeanyjane
on 5/6/09 1:10 am - Germany
If your surgeon is very experienced, he should be prepared to deal with almost all problems that can happen. You may ask the same question on the DS board and see what experiences others had with your doc. It seems to me that it mainly depends on the surgeons qualifications how often patients wake up with something different then a full DS - I can`t remember reports that very experienced DS revision docs like Gagner, Husted and Rabkin couldn`t complete a surgery. In contrary, serveral Schweitzer patients woke up with just a sleeve or a DS with a very long common channel because he claimed there was too much scar tissue to do the full DS (and these weren`t revision patients!).

Ask on the DS board, and I`d recommend you to ask your doc if he has concerns, how many revisions he couldn`t complete in the past and what he would do in case of too much scar tissue - giving you an ERNY instead or taing down the RNY pouch and doing the sleeve first, and the switch part possibly later in a second surgery?
JROLFSON
on 5/8/09 12:27 am - St. George, UT
Jennyjane:

I spoke with Husted, Rabkin and Keshishian who are some of the best surgeons for taking difficult cases of RNY to DS and all three told me they would go in with the idea of taking me to DS but would not promise that I would come out with that...As I have had 2 prior revisions and have a history from the last revision of having severe scar tissue....So I know for a fact that when you go in you may not always and I say "may" not always  come out with a DS...

It is completely on an individual basis only. But I do know that Dr. Husted does have methods that I believe he is the only one who does as he created these methods to take a difficult RNY pouch take down to a DS....he I believe actually has 2 different ones he uses....for those difficult scenerios...

But iwillis, going to the DS Board is most definately a great way to increase your knowledge as their are many there who have had revision. I would PM Kerry (I think that is his user name) if you don't find him PM me and I will get it...he just had RNY to DS with Dr. Rabkin back in August/September can't remember exactly the month ....He had some leak issues and had to be reoperated on a day or so after surgery. But he says he would do it again in a heartbeat...I believe he is already at goal or close. And he speaks very highly of Dr. Rabkin....

Good luck Janie
Lorie2
on 5/7/09 10:05 am
Hi
I had revision surgery Feb.24, 2009. Its about 10 weeks now. I had a rny in 2003 and gaine like 50 pounds in the last year. My stoma was enlarged. I wanted revision to a Ds. That was the plan. When my doctor got in there I had an incarcerated hernia, My intestines were all knotted and twisted  and there was alot of adhesions( scarr tissue).  The surgery took about 5 to 6 hours. 2 hours just un twisting my intestines, Needless to say I did NOT get  the full DS. To many problems once he got in there. I did get an extended rny. My common channel is just like a ds. It's about a 100cm. I don't absorb all my calories now.  I'm doing ok now. I hit a stall at 30 pounds lost.  The only problem is I still feel hungry alot but there is nothing that could be done. I try and eat a lot of protein. That helps alot. I get use to the feeling and its not so bad. The food falls thru into the intestines too fast but protein helps me feel more full at times. Any questions you can pm me.
Most Active