Home from the hospital- Band over RNY

JeannieBVA1
on 5/5/09 11:50 am
Hello Everyone..

I'm home from the hospital now from having my revision surgery 4-30... I stayed w/ a family member for a few days and just came home today..

I'm a little sore today but I've taken no pain pills..  I didn't have a lot of pain at anytime w/ the band.  On a scale 1-10...  I think my worse pain was a 7.

I do have pain in my chest and it's hard to take a deep breath... even now... however It's getting better day by day so I'm guessing that's the gas.

I have my moments when I'm hungry but I've done well so far. I have a little restriction but not much.  (But they have not filled the band as of yet)

My stomach has (6) 1 inch and smaller incisions... No stitches.... Looks like they used some kind of glue which is really neat. 

I have not weighed yet... but I'm guessing I've lost about 5-10 lbs.  (It's a start) :-)

So that's my update...

God Bless,

Jeannie

levoria S.
on 5/5/09 12:14 pm - brunswick, GA
Congrats on your surgery and recovery.  I was approve today to have lapband over rny. Best Wishes
(deactivated member)
on 5/6/09 5:06 am - AZ
On May 5, 2009 at 6:50 PM Pacific Time, JeannieBVA1 wrote:
Hello Everyone..

I'm home from the hospital now from having my revision surgery 4-30... I stayed w/ a family member for a few days and just came home today..

I'm a little sore today but I've taken no pain pills..  I didn't have a lot of pain at anytime w/ the band.  On a scale 1-10...  I think my worse pain was a 7.

I do have pain in my chest and it's hard to take a deep breath... even now... however It's getting better day by day so I'm guessing that's the gas.

I have my moments when I'm hungry but I've done well so far. I have a little restriction but not much.  (But they have not filled the band as of yet)

My stomach has (6) 1 inch and smaller incisions... No stitches.... Looks like they used some kind of glue which is really neat. 

I have not weighed yet... but I'm guessing I've lost about 5-10 lbs.  (It's a start) :-)

So that's my update...

God Bless,

Jeannie

Congrats on the revision surgery!

Weight loss will be slower but don't get frustrated, it will come off.  You'll be comparing your weight loss to newbie banded folks and you just can't do that.  It's not fair to yourself.  But you'll do great!

pepsi98
on 5/6/09 9:18 am - Norwich, CT
On May 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
Hello Everyone..

So that's my update...

God Bless,

Jeannie

Weight loss will be slower but don't get frustrated, it will come off.  You'll be comparing your weight loss to newbie banded folks and you just can't do that.  It's not fair to yourself.  But you'll do great!

Thanks for that gentle reminder MWG!!  I sometimes forget and feel very disappointed when I look at newly banded people who are losing twice as fast as me.  I'm trying to remember that this isn't a sprint and that it will take me as long as it takes me.

Sue

"The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/09 9:13 am - AZ
On May 6, 2009 at 4:18 PM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:
On May 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
Hello Everyone..

So that's my update...

God Bless,

Jeannie

Thanks for that gentle reminder MWG!!  I sometimes forget and feel very disappointed when I look at newly banded people who are losing twice as fast as me.  I'm trying to remember that this isn't a sprint and that it will take me as long as it takes me.

Sue

After bypass you are kinda metabolically challenged and there is nothing you can do about it other than wait it out.

It will come off in time.

pepsi98
on 5/6/09 9:25 am - Norwich, CT
Hello Everyone..

So that's my update...

God Bless,

Jeannie

Glad you're doing well, Jeannie!  As you know I have a band over bypass too and MWG gave some advice that just reminded me that you and I will lose slower than newly virgin bands.  I really needed to read that because it can be so discouraging to look at these people that have been banded for 1 or 2 months and have lost twice what I have.

I think the hardest part of any WLS has got to be the head hunger...your stomach is not growling, you're really not hungry, but you have this tremendous desire to eat!!!It's like you lose sight of what you're doing.  The good thing though, is that you just get on the horse again and start over.  I think this failure pitfall is greater for those of us who are on our 2nd (or more) WLS...we have to contend with past failure.

Heal, get your protein in and feel better.  it gets better quickly!

Sue

"The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Nina H.
on 5/6/09 11:42 am
hi.  i just got a band over my RNY, too, on May 4.  I have some serious bruising -- like a really dark splotch that's gotten bigger from this morning.  i just got out of the hospital yesterday.  Is this normal?  I'm a little worried.

p.s.  i have pain when i take deep breaths, like you do.
JeannieBVA1
on 5/6/09 12:22 pm
Thanks Everyone! 

Nina-  Yes... I had/have a lot of bruising!!   It is normal.  Not to worry... I'm sure they will go away soon..

I'm on day #6 since surgery and today was the first day I could take a deep breath and not feel pain in my chest... However I know from previous surgeries that its just gas.

I'm just in a little panic as I do not feel any restriction now.... I know my band has not been filled but I would have thought I would have gotten some from just the placement.  I did the first few days but now I dont.

I'm not sure of my weight loss but I know my clotes are fitting me a lot better.

Take care..
Nina H.
on 5/8/09 9:56 am
Jeannie -

The breathing doesn't hurt as much but the bruise is still the size of a mango.  I also don't feel that much restriction but i keep telling myself that i have to eat very little anyway to just let the stomach heal.  but this post-surgery diet is a major drag.  but then again, i got myself into this by gaining so much weight that i needed a revision.  my stoma was supposedly very enlarged.  i'm staying off the scale for now.  i have a lot to lose.

best,
nina
katydid
on 5/23/09 1:55 pm - Mishawaka, In
Congrats!   It sounds like you are on the right track!  I just started my trip into revision surgery, band over RNY.  My surgeon said it would not feel much different until the first fill, so you are right where you should be. 
I wam scheduling test like crazy over the next couple weeks. Then on 6/26 I will have a scope to check the size of my pouch etc... THAT will tell the tail I  guess.  The surgeon will then let me know if I will actually get the revision. I am nervous......I hate all the tests but I know they're necessary.  Anyone have to have a sleep test?    Please keep us updated.  I need to know that someone else is doing this and then I can too! Good luck and many prayers...Kalyn
Most Active