WHY DON'T DOCS LEARN ABOUT ERNY???

JROLFSON
on 5/6/09 1:08 am - St. George, UT
Hi Deanne:

How many vit D's do you take....I mean how many IU's of each D Vitamin....I've been taking 4000 IU's but don't think it's enough...

Janie
Deanne K.
on 5/6/09 4:23 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Janie,
I take 2 capsules that 10,000 iu each per day.  So it's a total of 20,000 per day.

You might want to ask the Dr. regarding this issue when you get here, with me it depended upon my 3 month post op appointment, but if you are already deficient he can give you some suggestions for after surgery.

Just make sure you get the dry version of the Vit. D as the prescription ones are oil based and once you have surgery you won't absorb those. 

Deanne
JROLFSON
on 5/6/09 6:50 am - St. George, UT
Where do you get 10,000 iu vit d?

I think I should be taking these.

Janie
Deanne K.
on 5/6/09 8:19 am - Tucson, AZ
Janie,
I order them from vitalady.com

You might want to familarize yourself with her site.  She has most of the dry vitamins you will need after your surgery.  You need to do a price comparison with Bariatric Advantage and Vitalady as some are cheaper at the different sites.  Just check around, but make sure you buy the dry versions.  The health food stores are too expensive.  I have a spreadsheet at home that I can send you if you PM me your email address with the dosages and price comparisions.  Jenn also has a copy of it.  I sent it to her after I put it together.
Deanne
reenieb
on 5/5/09 6:14 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
What's ERNY??? Please???
pepsi98
on 5/5/09 6:55 am - Norwich, CT
Extended Roux-N-Y.  Others can explain it better than me, but they bypass more of the common channel providing for more malabsorption, hence greater weight loss, but not without a host of side effects, although side efects come with ALL WLS.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

JROLFSON
on 5/5/09 7:01 am - St. George, UT
Hey, Peps....

I think you explained it pretty darn good....

Your right about the side effects thing....All surgeries come with em....some worse than others, you must really be up on taking all your vitamins with any kind of malabsorption procedure...so if you are an RNY or DS that would be part of your post surgery maintenance program...

Also, when they speak of shortening the common channel...it usually means shortend between 150-75 cm....with ERNY normally 100 or below....with DS 150-100....it varies with all patients, but those are pretty much the standards we've seen posted by revisioners.

Janie
Deanne K.
on 5/6/09 8:21 am, edited 5/6/09 8:23 am - Tucson, AZ

Here is a good picture of an ERNY.  You can see that most of the small intestines are bypassed.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/6/09 1:51 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Just tell them it's a distal RNY.  ERNY is a term that only a doc in AZ uses.. probably because the average American does not have the words proximal and distal in their vocab. ;)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Deanne K.
on 5/7/09 11:23 am - Tucson, AZ
if you google extended roux-en-y you will find all kinds of images and information out there. We are bypassed farther than a distal which is measured from the top and extended is measured from the remaining common channel.  The picture I posted is from UCSF website who also does these ERNY surgeries.
Most Active