banding after gastric bypass?

AngelaBuzzelli
on 5/4/09 5:42 am
I had a gastric bypass Sept 18 2002. In 12 months I went from 247lbs down to 135 at 5'7" not bad. Now, I am back up to 225 and climbing. I got a referal from my pcp to get a revision done. Has anyone had banding done after rny? And what have been your results. I am currently working on trying to get an appointment wiht Gornichek. First I have two hours of paperwork to fill out + I think he is going to require a sleep study etc. I refuse to get really big again..I just can't go there. Even at 225 I feel IMMENSE knowing what it feels like to be 90 lbs thinner than this....Take care, Angela (Altus, OK)
Renfairewench
on 5/4/09 12:15 pm

In 1999 I weighed in at 420. Had RNY and lost to 210. Currently I weight 290. *sigh* It hurts to see it, much less say it.

Anyway, I'm currently working towards having my RNY revised to a DS. From all my own research, added to what I have learned from the doctor, this surgery will likely be the one that gets me to a normal bmi. Also, weight gain is generally about 10-20 lb.s after 5 years. Through some research I learned that banding over an RNY may help you to lose some weight, but the weight loss is generally minimal.  Of course this is not a one size fits all approach and you may do really well with the band, but you may want to look into other alternatives though. 

Please note, this is just my opinion and is not meant in anyway to start a flame war or a my surgery is better than your surgery.

AngelaBuzzelli
on 5/4/09 12:42 pm
Thank you so much for posting and not being judgmental. On other boards people are struggling to see why I am upset at 225 but that is NINETY pounds more than I weighed after the bypass. I really think I inadvertently stretched my pouch. There was not a lot of education required at the time of my surgery and I misuderstood it as a cure all verses a tool. I didn't realize that drinking soda, drinking through a straw, chewing gums....basically swallowing carbonation or air could not just make me sick but ruin my surgery results. The old adage goes, I wish I knew then what I know now. Hoping for a second chance, Angela
pepsi98
on 5/4/09 7:55 pm - Norwich, CT
On May 4, 2009 at 7:42 PM Pacific Time, AngelaBuzzelli wrote:
Thank you so much for posting and not being judgmental. On other boards people are struggling to see why I am upset at 225 but that is NINETY pounds more than I weighed after the bypass. I really think I inadvertently stretched my pouch. There was not a lot of education required at the time of my surgery and I misuderstood it as a cure all verses a tool. I didn't realize that drinking soda, drinking through a straw, chewing gums....basically swallowing carbonation or air could not just make me sick but ruin my surgery results. The old adage goes, I wish I knew then what I know now. Hoping for a second chance, Angela
I had gastric stapling surgery in 1982 and just had a band placed over my old bypass 12/08.  Weight loss is slow, but it is a 2nd chance.  Less invasive surgery...band is fussy with all the fills etc, but I feel it's been worth it so far for me (even though I had to have a 1.7cc unfill and am gaining!!).  I'll call today and beg to come in earlier that 5/14!

Good luck!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Renfairewench
on 5/5/09 12:30 am
I'm glad that the banding is working for you.  Just wondering why you had to have it unfilled though. Were you having problems?

I had considered banding, but for me felt like it really wasn't the way for me to go. I realize that going with the revision to the DS is very invasive and very extensive and can have higher complication rates, but even though I initially did well losing 200 lbs, I never even reached losing 50% of my excess weight loss. Gaining nearly 90 lbs too really freaked me out. As with anything new there will be an eating learning curve that I will have to learn. I'm fairly certain that how much food to eat won't be much of an issue because I understand that concept. Just like RNY it's protein first. The DS though is far more sensitive to carbs, especially simple carbs. My biggest concern is that because I was initially distally bypassed that the doctor will not be able to bypass enough to jumpstart the malaborptive part of the DS. So, yea, I have worries but am trying to keep them at bay.

Best of luck with your band. Keep up the good work.
pepsi98
on 5/5/09 6:18 am - Norwich, CT
On May 5, 2009 at 7:30 AM Pacific Time, Renfairewench wrote:
I'm glad that the banding is working for you.  Just wondering why you had to have it unfilled though. Were you having problems?

I had considered banding, but for me felt like it really wasn't the way for me to go. I realize that going with the revision to the DS is very invasive and very extensive and can have higher complication rates, but even though I initially did well losing 200 lbs, I never even reached losing 50% of my excess weight loss. Gaining nearly 90 lbs too really freaked me out. As with anything new there will be an eating learning curve that I will have to learn. I'm fairly certain that how much food to eat won't be much of an issue because I understand that concept. Just like RNY it's protein first. The DS though is far more sensitive to carbs, especially simple carbs. My biggest concern is that because I was initially distally bypassed that the doctor will not be able to bypass enough to jumpstart the malaborptive part of the DS. So, yea, I have worries but am trying to keep them at bay.

Best of luck with your band. Keep up the good work.
I think the Doc thought I had less in my band than I knew I had, but being greedy and thinking more is better, I went with the 1cc fill and go**** too tight.  The unfill was initially .7cc's and then I happened to have a 2nd post op with my Doctor and an UGI and he said I was still too tight, so they took another 1cc out.
I'm doing the Plateau Busters Diet and between that and all the water I'm drinking, I am NOT hungry today...whoo hoo!!!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Renfairewench
on 5/5/09 12:44 am
I don't know about the whole drinking with a straw (or not) thing. I know that I have in the past (especially when out at a restaurant) I have used a straw. I also have had soda, but admittedly I do flatten most of the bubbles out. That isn't because I was afraid of stomach stretching but because bubbly things tend to come back up.  Coke is the worst! No doubt that I eat more than I did when I first had my surgery, but I still cannot finish everything that is given to me. Yesterday we went to a diner and I ordered a corned beef ruben. It came with fries. I ate a few of them 1/2 of the sandwich and was stuffed. I ALWAYS have left overs. I joined Wai****chers (WW) over the last few years and GAINED weight when I ate the amount of points that they said I was allowed to have. Only when I dropped to the lowest level of points did I lose weight, but even then I only lost about a pound a month. Sometimes nothing at all. So frustrating!

Yesterday I had an upper GI and my pouch didn't look excessively stretched , though it must be I assume. Even the doctor performing the test said "your pouch is pretty small" (hmmmm) Largely though I think that the issue is more that there is a complete lack of malabsorption. Your body adjusts and begins to absorb more and more. By 5 years out you are pretty much absorbing everything. I'm not a doctor so I'm not saying that this is definitive, but it's pretty well documented. I see a lot of post 5 year RNY'er who begin to gain weight. I am no exception. Just be informed on the pro's and con's of whatever it is you do decide to do to revise your RNY. 

May I suggest that you pop over on the DS forum if you do want to learn more or have questions.

Warmly, 
  Maddie
AngelaBuzzelli
on 5/5/09 2:34 am
Maddie,
I moved to Oklahoma just about six months ago...from NEW JERSEY! I grew up in Hainesport/Mount Holly area...Not sure where you are from, but I saw you use the word "diner" freely and "reuben"...neither are known out here. I was so excited to see a yankee..lol...that's what they still call us down here! I also saw that your doctor was Greenbaum. I actually knew a girl who used him out of Lourdes in Willingboro (use to be Rancocas Hospital 34 years ago when I was born)!  I am really hoping to get a doctor without a GOD complex! Is that possible? I miss diners, cheese steaks, cheese cake, and REAL pizza...but on the other hand if you ever make it out this way...the BBQ is unbeatable as well as the Mexican and any steak or hamburger...Man and I wonder why I am having weight gain...Two things i wish for was that I didn't like to eat and that I was a horrible cook...but I am neither so it's a lethal combo...lol...Take care, Angela
Renfairewench
on 5/5/09 2:57 am

I know where Mt. Holly is. My grandparents lived in Delanco and I spent much time there, so the whole Willingboro, Mt. Holly, Rancocas, Beverly, Riverside area is very familar to me (I was born at Zurburgg Memorial Hospital, when they had a maternity ward!) . I THOUGHT that Lordes used to be Rancocas Hospital!

I actually live in NorthWest, NJ in a town called Phillipsburg. It's quite literally a stones throw to Easton PA. I love NJ for it's cusine for sure. When my parents moved to Savannah GA my mom used to make me bring her bagels (though NYC has the best ever bagels!). I remember asking for a bagel in GA and getting something akin to a hard roll, lol. As far as diners, they just totally rock. No need to decide if you want italian, greek, or chinese, because you can get it all (except really good pizza) in a diner!

AngelaBuzzelli
on 5/5/09 3:51 am
Ha ha...small world....but btw if you ever come out here to the south west...avoid chinese food like the plague..it is NASTY...and i am a huge fan of chinese (general tso's chicken specifically), lol. NW Jersey that's pretty country up that way. My mother grew up in Far Rockaway Beach, NYC and always asks for a bagel with a shmear. Anyway, enough about the enemy (FOOD)..lol...What was your recovery like following your revision?
Most Active