Gatric Fistula

~~Melissa S~~
on 5/3/09 10:28 am - El Paso, TX
Hello,

I have been diagnosised as having a fistual, I have three connections from my pouch to my old stomach.

I have all of sorts of questions, mainly what systoms does the fistula produce?  I want it corrected, will having the fistula correctly help me to loose the 20+ lbs I have gained? 

I have a pretty new job and can not miss a lot of work, what is the recovery time. 

Basically anyone who has had one and had it corrected can you tell me your expierences.

Thanks,
Melissa
Lori G.
on 5/3/09 9:26 pm - CA
Aloha Melissa-
I do not know but I can make some educated guesses.
Your fistula means that your pouch would be "leaking" food into the blind compartmentalized portion of your stomach. Not only does this mean you have less restriciton in your pouch ( andcan eat more), but the calories going to your blind compartmentalized portion would be fully absorbed by your proximal duodenum by not bypassing this part- meaning you have less restriction and less malabsorption.
So I would guess you'd have issues with regain that could be resolved by fixing the fistula.
Any MD's? ( I'm a vet!). XOLori

elsa
on 5/5/09 2:47 pm - fort worth, TX
i had gained about 50 lbs and after the gross barium test and upper gi they found a small fistula. it was fixed easy enough but still havent lost the wheight but dont think ive gained anymore iether...

good luck!

Elsa 

I'm really a perfect size six, I just keep it covered in fat so it doesnt get scratched.
http://www.myspace.com/elsathegreat

~~Melissa S~~
on 5/5/09 9:05 pm - El Paso, TX
Thanks Elsa,

How long ago did you have it fixed and how much recovery time was involved?

Thanks,
Melissa

PS....love your quote!
elsa
on 5/6/09 4:59 am - fort worth, TX
i had it fixed on the 8th of april but havent lost any lbs. there was no recovery needed once i woke up i left hospital 45 mins later and went to wal-mart and bought shampoo, lol  did not hurt, cramp, pinch or anything. never even took a tylenol. dr said as the skin grew together the staples would "pass" naturally in a week or two. its been a month so i assume all 6 staples (dr called them pins...) have pased but i havent noticed. it was too good to be true cause i really expected it to kick start more loss. but at least aetna paid 100% id be really mad if i had to pay for it out of pocket

Elsa 

I'm really a perfect size six, I just keep it covered in fat so it doesnt get scratched.
http://www.myspace.com/elsathegreat

Most Active